Application 4

Learn to reverse engineer through some common application security methods.
Forum rules
DO NOT POST ANSWERS OR SPOILERS! [IE: Mission Links, Mission File Names/Pages, Scripts/Code, etc.]

Posting these will result in warnings/bans!

Re: Application 4

Post by NightQuest on Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:28 pm
([msg=69823]see Re: Application 4[/msg])

The aim of this mission is to click the button, but the program prevents you from doing so by normal means.
So ask yourself, in any other program, how would you execute the function of a button without clicking it?
If you can answer that, look up how to achieve that, and yeah, xvi32. ;)

PS: You shouldn't need to know how to read assembly or anything for this particular challenge.
NightQuest
Developer
Developer

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by RobTurbo on Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:31 pm
([msg=70352]see Re: Application 4[/msg])

I'm not sure if I did this right but I got it to give me the password as soon as I put the pointer over one of the buttons, have I missed something in this lesson or is this a valid way to do it?
RobTurbo
New User
New User

Post by WallShadow on Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:59 pm
([msg=70355]see Re: Application 4[/msg])

RobTurbo wrote:I'm not sure if I did this right but I got it to give me the password as soon as I put the pointer over one of the buttons, have I missed something in this lesson or is this a valid way to do it?

The app is designed so that the program switches the enabled property of the buttons, thus stopping you from ever pressing the button normally. If you were able to simply go and press it, then there is a glitch somewhere or a miscompatibility. It is coded in VB, so would you mind telling us your computer specs so that we can figure out why it didn't work?
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mookalovesgloop on Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:00 pm
([msg=71476]see Re: Application 4[/msg])

NightQuest wrote:The aim of this mission is to click the button, but the program prevents you from doing so by normal means.
So ask yourself, in any other program, how would you execute the function of a button without clicking it?
If you can answer that, look up how to achieve that, and yeah, xvi32. ;)

PS: You shouldn't need to know how to read assembly or anything for this particular challenge.

hi...believe it or not i'm STILL stuck on this challenge....
so i need to use a keyboard command to select the buttons right? do i need to make one from scratch? i'm so lost :cry:
peace and blessings
mooka
gloop!
mookalovesgloop
Poster
Poster

Post by amp1776 on Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:01 pm
([msg=76287]see Re: Application 4[/msg])

IDK If this one should be labeled "easy"? had to learn new ways of manipluating visual basic, witch I am new to :roll:
"Pursue one great decisive aim with force and determination." Karl Von Clausewitz
amp1776
New User
New User

Post by white.russian on Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:02 pm
([msg=78878]see Re: Application 4[/msg])

I've gotten ahold of a decompiler application for the correct language, but this particular version will only show me the assembly code, it wants me to buy the full version to see the decompiled code. Am I going to need to buy this/find another decompiler to continue with this mission, or do I have all the tools I need?
white.russian
New User
New User

Post by limdis on Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:53 pm
([msg=78886]see Re: Application 4[/msg])

White.russian, scroll up and read NightQuest's comment. It is probably the absolute best hint that can be given without spoiling the challenge.

Edit: There is plenty of free software out there. You don't need an expensive program for this.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by conscience on Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:09 pm
([msg=84156]see Re: Application 4[/msg])

NightQuest wrote:So ask yourself, in any other program, how would you execute the function of a button without clicking it?

Man, this is fucking insane.

I clicked the "Quote" button to reply that I know how to activate a button without using the mouse but for fuck's sake I can't get it focused. And then it hit me right at the moment I placed my fingers on the keyboard!

And, although I got a runtime exception, it also gave me the password. Thanks! Just damn thanks. :)

Guys, if you're still stuck with this, think about what I quoted from NightQuest, but in a VB context. You don't need a decompiler, or anything else fancy. You'll only need a HEX Editor (I used a simple Notepad++ plugin) and know just a tiny bit about user controls in VB.
Let him who has understanding recount the number of the beast, for it is a human number: His number is 0x029A.
conscience
Poster
Poster

Previous

Return to Application