Multiple Big Bangs

Mathematics and Science; the subtle and ubiquitous arts

Multiple Big Bangs

Post by thedotmaster on Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:54 pm
([msg=6867]see Multiple Big Bangs[/msg])

I reckon there have been multiple big bangs. I've got no evidence, but that's just what I think.
I reckon there is a big bang and everything expands from that point. It starts to slow down until eventually it stops and starts to reverse, falling back into itself. When all the matter reaches one point the matter is so dense that another big bang occurs.
What d'y'all think?
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Multiple Big Bangs

Post by griallia on Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:13 am
([msg=7157]see Re: Multiple Big Bangs[/msg])

I can agree, it's kind of common sense. How the hell do you expect the universe to all be in 1 point, 1 particle, than randomly explode...

Go by physics, Newton's third law.
griallia
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by ShijeFace on Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:59 pm
([msg=7870]see Re: Multiple Big Bangs[/msg])

My question on the whole "big bang" thing is this.

How would a bang make everything that it is? Such as making the earth rotate around the sun while spinning on it's axis to create day and night, and is in the perfect position so human life could exist. For how complicated the universe's whole system is I question whether the "big bang" even existed. My question, or rather argument, is short but... here it goes.

I'll tell you one of the things Einstein did to experiment about this whole "big bang" theory (just in case you don't already know.) He took apart a pocket watch completely, put all the pieces in a bag, shook the bag up and hoped that all the pieces would fall into the correct place to make the watch tick again. He did this a few times and came to the conclusion that there is a VERY small chance that everything would just fall in to place like that. Or rather, the universe could not be made with a big bang unless trillions of years had passed by and the big bang happened numerous times.

It's just something I thought about while reading the posts on this topic.
Last edited by ShijeFace on Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Common sense really isn't that common.
ShijeFace
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Vive on Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:58 am
([msg=7878]see Re: Multiple Big Bangs[/msg])

This is kind of depressing if you think about the implications (that 'you' might not have existed, actually a very tough thing to comprehend, if it is possible to comprehend), but 2 things lead me to disagree with you ShijeFace,

1: the universe is sooo big that I believe that if life had not come about here it would have arisen somewhere else and probably has. There is sooo much matter, energy, and space that there must be somewhere else where life has come to exist even if the conditions under which it was created are not the same as here ; and

2: if we accept evolution as valid and accept it as a process whereby biological 'machines' fit themselves to their environment, then saying that it is unlikely that the conditions for us to exist exactly as we are highly unlikely is ignoring one of the most important and beautiful things about life, that it will adapt to live in its environment as best it can.

2 notes:
1st note: Basically my argument breaks down to: The universe is sooo big that ..somewhere.. the parts of 'the watch' (assuming an infinite or near-infinite number of 'watches' like an infinite or near-infinite amount of matter in the universe), somewhere, a watch must have come together in a way that worked.

2nd note: It seems that we may have different views of what we consider 'life', correct me if I am wrong, you consider life, exactly what has arisen and what we can see today. I think my interpretation of 'life' is anything (a biological 'machine') that:
consumes energy, grows, reproduces, maintains homeostasis, and adapts to its environment. (Reacting to its environment would be a necessity of interorganismal interactions)

Please post arguments supporting or refuting this, argument is the only way to grow intellectually
Vive
New User
New User

Post by griallia on Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:15 am
([msg=7924]see Re: Multiple Big Bangs[/msg])

Face, there is one variable you have forgotten for account for. And that matter has to have it's most basic level, Dark Matter. The most basic level of matter you will ever come across.

Even though the parts in the watch didn't came back to together, which is kind of obvious... What about the atoms in the pocket watch? they never changed. Even that 1 thing that everything came from has to be made up of out of these really basic parts. Atoms inside the pocket watch, and whatever level matter goes to. the atoms were constants, even though the watch didn't came back as it did in the first place, the atoms never changed.
griallia
New User
New User

Post by ShijeFace on Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:54 am
([msg=7939]see Re: Multiple Big Bangs[/msg])

Vive wrote:The universe is sooo big that ..somewhere.. the parts of 'the watch' (assuming an infinite or near-infinite number of 'watches' like an infinite or near-infinite amount of matter in the universe), somewhere, a watch must have come together in a way that worked.

griallia wrote:What about the atoms in the pocket watch?

I know I didn't come right out and say it, but my point I was getting to was this.

How did the very first atom come into existence? There couldn't be a "big bang" without some sort of matter or gas somewhere that could cause something like that to happen.
ShijeFace
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by griallia on Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:34 am
([msg=8044]see Re: Multiple Big Bangs[/msg])

What happens when you drop a rubber ball?

And as the universe, there is only 1 tense.
griallia
New User
New User

Post by thedotmaster on Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:45 am
([msg=8056]see Re: Multiple Big Bangs[/msg])

ShijeFace wrote:How did the very first atom come into existence? There couldn't be a "big bang" without some sort of matter or gas somewhere that could cause something like that to happen.

Who says that the universe has to have a start and an end? Who says that matter has to have an origin? Energy cannot be created nor destroyed.
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (1)

Post by ShijeFace on Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:20 pm
([msg=8108]see Re: Multiple Big Bangs[/msg])

Well, I guess nobody did (unless someone can prove otherwise)...

The thought of this just baffles me is all.
ShijeFace
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by ganjaman on Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:34 pm
([msg=8273]see Re: Multiple Big Bangs[/msg])

How did the very first atom come into existence? There couldn't be a "big bang" without some sort of matter or gas somewhere that could cause something like that to happen.

According too "THE Big Bang theory there was a neutron (that was no where because it was the existance of anything that could be, catch my drift :S) that had 21 grams of mass...thats a lot for one atom! So this neutron some how exploded and that was the start of the big bang...all the materials such as rocks and gases forming stars then came from molecules bonding at stupid rates and something to do with nuclear things...I'm really lost now lol

As for Einstiens watch theory, he didn't do a fair setup for his experiment...there was no explosion in the centre of all the watch parts and if you left all the watch parts floating about for hundreds of years perhaps eventually they would all collect together.

The whole thing of the big bang making the Earth rotate, that is just the coincidental happening of the earth drifting into the gravitational pull of our sun, perhaps the most likely of things to happen from an explosion? It just goes down to physics then.
ganjaman
New User
New User

Next

Return to Math & Science