How to go on?

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

How to go on?

Post by Lukaboy8 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:49 am
([msg=75010]see How to go on?[/msg])

Hello everybody,

The last few months I really started looking into hacking. I searched a lot on the internet and visited a lot of sites but didn't really find anything to learn from. I learned XHTML and did the first 10 basic challengens and am really interested in web hacking. The problem is that I don't know what to do next? I tried searching for a good free hacking course to start with but didn't really find one. Could you help me and push me in the right direction what to do?
Lukaboy8
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: How to go on?

Post by Chadwick891 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:19 am
([msg=75011]see Re: How to go on?[/msg])

I think what you want to be looking into is more "web security" rather than "web hacking"

The whole idea of web security is to literally hack/exploit a website and design ways to safeguard it against the process of hacking with lines of code.

A good and simple example to give would be SQL injections. You'll notice that a lot of popular web pages and brands are NOT protected against this form of exploit.

How do I know? I have tried it on websites with success and reported it to the website staff - also news reports of companies i.e. Samsung that have been exploited through a simple SQL injection.

So to "push" you in the right direction would be looking at web security or basically just anything code related (Java/Javascript/XML/HTML/SQL etc.)
Chadwick891
New User
New User

Post by Lukaboy8 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:35 am
([msg=75012]see Re: How to go on?[/msg])

Thanks for the reply! As you said, 'web security' is a better description of what I want to learn more about. I don't want to hack websites to do bad things with the information I gained but I want to help and make websites better protected against the black-hat hackers. I will google 'web security' and look deeper into SQL.
Lukaboy8
New User
New User

Post by fashizzlepop on Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:36 pm
([msg=75016]see Re: How to go on?[/msg])

To start with, SQL will probably confuse you. A good start is to make sure you understand HTML, specifically forms, and PHP. Start building your own PHP backed HTML forms. For example, try making your own comment system. Eventually you will use MySQL as a storage engine for storing comments. Then, you will be able to try and exploit your comments, etc, with XSS, or SQL injections.

Tl;dr: learn PHP next and start building websites.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Return to NZone