Rasberry Pi

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

Re: Raspberry Pi

Post by conscience on Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:25 pm
([msg=64361]see Re: Raspberry Pi[/msg])

centip3de wrote:
conscience wrote:Nope, but they're more suitable for robotics.

True... Still, it's a fairly cheap part if you need all of what its components.

Very true
Let him who has understanding recount the number of the beast, for it is a human number: His number is 0x029A.
conscience
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Rasberry Pi

Post by WallShadow on Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:34 pm
([msg=69329]see Rasberry Pi[/msg])

Anyone heard of the new rasberry pi computer recently released in the UK? It's a fully functioning computer that only consists of a circuit board the size of a credit card and costs from 25$ to 35$ (USD). It comes with a 700 mHz processor and 256 mb RAM. It's easy to configure it to run as a server 24/7.

What do you guys think of it?

http://www.raspberrypi.org/
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Rasberry Pi

Post by centip3de on Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:24 pm
([msg=69333]see Re: Rasberry Pi[/msg])

WallShadow wrote:Anyone heard of the new rasberry pi computer recently released in the UK? It's a fully functioning computer that only consists of a circuit board the size of a credit card and costs from 25$ to 35$ (USD). It comes with a 700 mHz processor and 256 mb RAM. It's easy to configure it to run as a server 24/7.

What do you guys think of it?

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

This thing has been around for quite awhile (in the US), in fact my brother in-law has one running as a full time server for his homework and such, just in case he forgets to bring it to class. Anyway, (according to him) they've downgraded the price of the 35$ one to 25$, or at least they did in the US. Also, I created a thread about this a while back:

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=8347
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:51 pm
([msg=69334]see Re: Rasberry Pi[/msg])

Beat me to it Cent. I read the thread. Remembered yours and went to get the link, came back and boom you posted it already.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by WallShadow on Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:44 pm
([msg=69337]see Re: Rasberry Pi[/msg])

Ah sorry, I had a feeling that we've talked about it before, but a few searches for 'rasberry' and 'rasberry pi' didn't bring anything up. Sorry.
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:52 pm
([msg=69338]see Re: Rasberry Pi[/msg])

All good. It was just funny because in the matter of less than a minute cent juiced me on the reference.

Note: Merged topic
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by centip3de on Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:53 pm
([msg=69339]see Re: Rasberry Pi[/msg])

WallShadow wrote:Ah sorry, I had a feeling that we've talked about it before, but a few searches for 'rasberry' and 'rasberry pi' didn't bring anything up. Sorry.

That's because there's a 'p' in raspberry, ;)
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by NoviceBlackout on Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:34 pm
([msg=69388]see Re: Rasberry Pi[/msg])

I feel like I'm missing something pretty important. I bought a RPi and now have nothing to use it for as my main computer does everything I need it to. Guess I should have thought about some more stuff to do with it before buying it! Whoops :oops:
NoviceBlackout
New User
New User

Post by limdis on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:03 am
([msg=72268]see Re: Rasberry Pi[/msg])

Necroing because I recently did a lot of reading on up these and I'm ready to buy 3-4 of them; and nearly everyone who took interest is still here. Anyone get their hands on one of these yet?

Project idea: Pocket WiFi Mine
Write scripts to automate the process of the hack (aircrack-ng, etc). Alter casing on wireless adapter to also encase raspberry pi. Still want a small antenna. Use a mobile cell charger for power. Idea is to be able to walk around casually and crack wep. wpa/wpa2 handshakes would be stored so I could use dictionaries on them later since that in itself can be a lengthy process. Since I won't need to check the results until later I don't need to go full on cyborg and make a screen attachment for sunglasses and a keyboard attachment on my arm of some sort. Though that would cool too.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs

Also Cent: Raspberry-Pi-Supercomputer-Legos
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by 3vilp4wn on Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:45 am
([msg=73615]see Re: Rasberry Pi[/msg])

limdis wrote:Anyone get their hands on one of these yet?

I have one, a model B.

centip3de wrote:Well, don't be getting all excited by thinking it can even come close to replacing your current machine, unless that machine is a toaster.

Are you mocking my toaster computer? Seriously though, my current PC has the same amount of RAM, and ~3x the processor speed. The raspberry pi wins overall though, because of the speed boost from running linux :D

centip3de wrote:With the limited storage space and the slow CPU speed, I thought it would be a genius idea to mod DamnSmallLinux to run on this machine. The only thing that would need to be done is to make sure it's compatible with the ARM processor. I would love to undertake this project, as I have a love connection with low-level theory and OS modding. <3

I haven't done much with it yet, but modding Damn Small Linux would be AWESOME! It seems as though DSL is for x86, but the RPi is ARM :( Perhaps Tiny Core Linux would be better? See here.

I've also been looking at the RPi port of linux form scratch, PiLFS.

I have 3 gripes about the RPi:

1.) Text is very hard to read on non-HDMI screen. This can be fixed by making all text huge and bold.
2.) Getting wireless is... Hard. You need a wifi dongle, and the cheapest one I found was ~$27, $8 less than the pi :roll: . Once I got the dongle, I plugged it in, and... The Pi freezes. great. I power cycle and try it again. Same thing. Turns out that I need a better power supply or a powered USB hub to use it :( .
3.) If you plug in a USB while the Pi is on, the Pi reboots :( .

All and all, an awesome little computer!
Do not mistake understanding for realization, and do not mistake realization for liberation
Evil Ninja Hackers
???
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

1A4EAMboaXpgvUSmtRbVRqbfJrbyuGhyoo
3vilp4wn
Poster
Poster

Previous

Return to Hardware