HTML help please.

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

HTML help please.

Post by Zpw on Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:10 pm
([msg=73608]see HTML help please.[/msg])

Okay so obviously I am a noob when it comes to this type of stuff. I am taking an intro to computing with HTML class and I really enjoy it but this simple task has me so fucking frustrated that im nauseous and think im going to throw up.

All I want to do is post a background image for my website, but it won't load the image no matter what, it will show the alternate text and the outline of the images height and width but not the image, I am stumped and my professor won't be able to get back to me until monday and I really can't wait that long. I have tried w3schools and other sites but idk.

This is what I'm typing
<body style="background-image:url('pics/hierocrew.jpg')">

body is closed off correctly and everything, and when i try it as background image nothing shows up but when I do regular image the outline and alt text shows. Well I haven't added Alt text for background yet, im just trying to get it to work first.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? :cry:
Zpw
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: HTML help please.

Post by WallShadow on Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:38 am
([msg=73609]see Re: HTML help please.[/msg])

It seems that you just made a logical mistake somewhere. make sure that you actually have a directory 'pics' with a 'hierocrew.jpg' image in it. Your code seems to work perfectly fine for me (case in point: http://randomsite.net78.net/TestPage2.htm ).
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Zpw on Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:31 am
([msg=73610]see Re: HTML help please.[/msg])

I do have a folder named "pics" on my desktop with that specific image and filename in it. I really doon't understand why it wont work but i have to turn this project in soon and its frustrating the hell out of me and making me not want to move on to the other tasks. Is there any way to get around this?? I tried putting the file directly on my desktop then linking it like that. I have tried several different images.
Zpw
New User
New User

Post by WallShadow on Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:34 am
([msg=73611]see Re: HTML help please.[/msg])

Zpw wrote:I do have a folder named "pics" on my desktop with that specific image and filename in it. I really doon't understand why it wont work but i have to turn this project in soon and its frustrating the hell out of me and making me not want to move on to the other tasks. Is there any way to get around this?? I tried putting the file directly on my desktop then linking it like that. I have tried several different images.

wait, it can't just be on your desktop, pics has to be in the same place that the html file is. if pics is on the desktop, then the html file also has to be on the desktop
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Zpw on Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:38 am
([msg=73612]see Re: HTML help please.[/msg])

WallShadow wrote:
Zpw wrote:I do have a folder named "pics" on my desktop with that specific image and filename in it. I really doon't understand why it wont work but i have to turn this project in soon and its frustrating the hell out of me and making me not want to move on to the other tasks. Is there any way to get around this?? I tried putting the file directly on my desktop then linking it like that. I have tried several different images.

wait, it can't just be on your desktop, pics has to be in the same place that the html file is. if pics is on the desktop, then the html file also has to be on the desktop

Oh my god I feel so retarded. Thank you so much!!!! I have spent HOURS messing around trying to figure out the problem hahahaha. All I had to do was move the file -.- My professor didn't make it a point to explain that. Thanks a ton dude.
Zpw
New User
New User

Post by WallShadow on Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:57 am
([msg=73616]see Re: HTML help please.[/msg])

Zpw wrote:
Oh my god I feel so retarded. Thank you so much!!!! I have spent HOURS messing around trying to figure out the problem hahahaha. All I had to do was move the file -.- My professor didn't make it a point to explain that. Thanks a ton dude.

no problem

stick around, maybe you'll learn some interesting stuff here and maybe even leave something useful for someone who will be just as confused as you were.
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:58 am
([msg=73627]see Re: HTML help please.[/msg])

Good catch WallShadow.

For the OP:

Research Absolute Paths vs. Relative Paths.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Return to NZone