No votes
Opera
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes : 17

Broswers anyone? (2013)

Post by mShred on Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:51 pm
([msg=73406]see Broswers anyone? (2013)[/msg])

In response to the recent thread.. An up to date poll on your guys' choice of web browsers.
Feel free to specify.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: Broswers anyone? (2013)

Post by weekend hacker on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:20 pm
([msg=73413]see Re: Broswers anyone? (2013)[/msg])

firefox and iceweasel.
Naturally with noscript and adblock plus.

I'm actually considering switching to chrome due to updates and because it actually works properly with mega.co.nz
<Yoda> if someone says something i don't like, i ban him, ban whoever defends him, and then ban the witnesses...
weekend hacker
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by mShred on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:26 pm
([msg=73414]see Re: Broswers anyone? (2013)[/msg])

^ Yeah I feel you on firefox. I still use it religiously. But like I've said many times before, it's getting to that point..
I just looked up the numbers. In 2011, we were still on FF 3.6, which was a fine ass browser. We could have left it there. Now, not even two fuckin years later, we're on FF 18. 18. As in 14.4 versions later. That's that shit. That's that shit that really grinds my gears.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by tgoe on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:32 pm
([msg=73415]see Re: Broswers anyone? (2013)[/msg])

Chrome has won me over recently with its speed and stability. I still use Opera and Firefox for development.
tgoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by -Ninjex- on Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:49 pm
([msg=73432]see Re: Broswers anyone? (2013)[/msg])

FF, because I have used it for so long. I use GC as well, but not as much.
I have been thinking of switching to Chrome recently also.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by pretentious on Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:34 am
([msg=73440]see Re: Broswers anyone? (2013)[/msg])

what do you guys use your browser for? plugins? I'm pretty sure both firefox and chrome have built in inspect element as well as scripting consoles. I use firefox because it's default on my os and I don't care enough to change it, IE at work because there is a shortcut on the quick launch bar.. that's how little the distinction matters to me haha
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Post by 1njustice on Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:39 am
([msg=73446]see Re: Broswers anyone? (2013)[/msg])

I believe it all comes down to 'situational' use, determining the best browser for whatever situation you need handling. For general use I use GC, simply because of the speed.
Last updated: 01/02/2013: 14:49

Code: Select all
Challenges
Basic missions: 1 - 11 complete
1njustice
New User
New User

Post by 0phidian on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:44 pm
([msg=73458]see Re: Broswers anyone? (2013)[/msg])

Firefox anyday. Chromes alright, but I hate it's UI.
0phidian
Poster
Poster

Post by SarperAW on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:39 am
([msg=73573]see Re: Broswers anyone? (2013)[/msg])

I just have to sit back and laugh at the great 'FF vs. GC' debate, mainly due to the fact that they both are built on the same core: chrome. The mere differences in the two are derived from the various different core plugins that each use respectively. So anybody that complains based on 'FF cannot do this, but GC can' or vice versa, needs to step back and look at what core plugin made the difference. Once you figure that out, you can load said plugin into the other browser and have it behave the same way. So really the only browser challenges that should exist are IE vs chrome vs opera. With that said, I use FireFox on the beta channel in Debian (yes, I am aware that I violated licensing by using native FireFox in Debian instead of IceWeasel, but does it look like I am caring?)

As a side note, in 1998 I used netscape and in 2002 I used konqueror. How bout them old apples?

SarperAW
SarperAW
New User
New User

Post by weekend hacker on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:06 am
([msg=73584]see Re: Broswers anyone? (2013)[/msg])

SarperAW wrote:I just have to sit back and laugh at the great 'FF vs. GC' debate, mainly due to the fact that they both are built on the same core: chrome. The mere differences in the two are derived from the various different core plugins that each use respectively.

There are important differences between the 2 though, most noticeably they have a totally different javascript engine and handle html5 and memory differently.
I'm not even sure the chrome part in each respective browser is the same. Google chrome came from chromium which has the following browsers based on it: Flock, Google Chrome, Comodo Dragon, SRWare Iron, CoolNovo, RockMelt and Lunascape. Note the lack of firefox.
Where in firefox the chrome part is about the user interface elements outside of the content window, with google the chromium part is more/also about the content window(by using webkit for htmlish things, which in turn is an apple fork of KHTML which was a KDE project).
So in my opinion, an IE vs chrome vs opera debate is far too limited as the respective chrome parts are totally different and even handle totally different parts. If I ware a guessing man I'd say that while browsing the firefox source code google thought that chrome was a pretty name.
And as to functionality, its not only about 'core plugins', for instance chromium has a built in flash player, pdf reader and update system. Where with firefox those are plugins.

In debian I use the updated version of iceweasel instead of the very old default one(from http://mozilla.debian.net/).
I used to just compile it myself which even made the licence totally valid but that was a real pain to update all the time. (You can call it firefox aslong as you didn't edit the source and distributed it that way, which is what debian does)
I've only ever used konqueror for local files and to download firefox.
<Yoda> if someone says something i don't like, i ban him, ban whoever defends him, and then ban the witnesses...
weekend hacker
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Web