Top Ten Programs

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Re: Top Ten Programs

Post by WallShadow on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:23 am
([msg=73382]see Re: Top Ten Programs[/msg])

zeriasis2 wrote:A question Is there a chat program that encrypts everything that is sent so nobody else but you and the chatter can read it?

There are lots of good programs with lots of good encryption schemes. Question is, what are you trying to encrypt? traffic between you and an access point? switch? router? host across the intranet? internet? proxy? remote terminal? virtual centralized network? virtual ad-hoc network? Be specific.
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by zeriasis2 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:28 am
([msg=73383]see Re: Top Ten Programs[/msg])

WallShadow wrote:
zeriasis2 wrote:A question Is there a chat program that encrypts everything that is sent so nobody else but you and the chatter can read it?

There are lots of good programs with lots of good encryption schemes. Question is, what are you trying to encrypt? traffic between you and an access point? switch? router? host across the intranet? internet? proxy? remote terminal? virtual centralized network? virtual ad-hoc network? Be specific.

Honestly I couldn't be that specific Cause I don't know about at least 65% of all that posted right there.
Still fairly new to this scene.
I mean like I open the program and it encrypts the connection lets say in like Hulk Mr. Blue, Mr. Green type deal.
They can talk and never really have to worry about the conversation being monitored or anything of the sort.
zeriasis2
New User
New User

Post by mShred on Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:36 pm
([msg=73402]see Re: Top Ten Programs[/msg])

KthProg wrote:As far as vulnerabilities, past vulnerabilities are meaningless since they're... in the past.

Your first statement is, to say the least, wrong. Past vulnerabilities are pretty damn important if you ask me. If you were going to choose a company to do some online work for you, would you pick the one that had a history of repeated security holes?
-Ninjex- wrote:I think hts used to have the ability to add in polls, but not anymore. Although I like the idea, and would support it.

We still do. Only the mods have the ability to start them though. Otherwise the idiots of HTS would be polling on whose dick is bigger.
Curious to see this older poll on the subject. viewtopic.php?f=33&t=701&p=5067
Chrome wasn't even around at the time. I wonder what kind of results we'd get now. Maybe I'll make a poll on it..
Also, viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3271

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by -Ninjex- on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:11 pm
([msg=73410]see Re: Top Ten Programs[/msg])

mShred wrote:
KthProg wrote:As far as vulnerabilities, past vulnerabilities are meaningless since they're... in the past.

Your first statement is, to say the least, wrong. Past vulnerabilities are pretty damn important if you ask me. If you were going to choose a company to do some online work for you, would you pick the one that had a history of repeated security holes?

Also, add in the fact that if you don't upgrade sometimes those exploits still work. A lot people fail to upgrade their software the way they should.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
^(-.^)>
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by zeriasis2 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:35 pm
([msg=73426]see Re: Top Ten Programs[/msg])

I think a lot of people fail to upgrade anything in life. That's the first thing I ask people when I start working on their computers for viruses and other stuff.
When they say they haven't ever upgrade and I tell them this is why this happened lol
zeriasis2
New User
New User

Post by KthProg on Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:12 pm
([msg=73433]see Re: Top Ten Programs[/msg])

Yeah but isnt it just as likely that other web browsers have potential zero day exploits but because of the difference in popularity, simply havent been given the same attention as something as ubiquitous as IE?

I would think that's more likely than lax security by the most well-funded electronics company in the world.

also it's not difficult to force updates especially if you make that persons operating system so that choice is just as much Microsofts.

-- Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:15 pm --

lmfao at that poll

the only thing that could make it worse than including AOL is if it had Netscape lol.
KthProg
Poster
Poster

Post by fashizzlepop on Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:53 pm
([msg=73434]see Re: Top Ten Programs[/msg])

IE is known to have had more 0-days recently. Chrome and Fx have a strong record in terms of being secure. That's why IE is *generally* considered less secure. In the last couple of months I've heard of 2 big 0-days for IE where Fx and Chrome haven't.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by KthProg on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:06 pm
([msg=73435]see Re: Top Ten Programs[/msg])

Well i guess my question is then, what were these exploits?
If it's not the fault of the programmer then it's obviously the persistence of the hacker that allowed the hack to work.
I mean I can't say for sure but I really would assume it's the universal hatred of IE by hackers and its mainstream popularity that got it hacked.
I mean, I don't know one person here who would try to hack FF or GC.
Cause hackers have a crush on them lol

Oh my god they did have netscape on there lmao
KthProg
Poster
Poster

Post by fashizzlepop on Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:16 am
([msg=73441]see Re: Top Ten Programs[/msg])

KthProg wrote:Well i guess my question is then, what were these exploits?
Not sure the specifics. Here's an article on it: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57563779-83/microsoft-to-patch-ie-zero-day-flaw-today/

If it's not the fault of the programmer then it's obviously the persistence of the hacker that allowed the hack to work.
Not sure what you mean here. You could attribute all vulnerabilities to the fault of the programmer. Of course some hackers might just find new ways that were previously unknown and therefore were never in the programmer's radar to begin with.

I mean I can't say for sure but I really would assume it's the universal hatred of IE by hackers and its mainstream popularity that got it hacked.
All software gets hacked. Of course due to it's popularity it probably get's targeted slightly more.

I mean, I don't know one person here who would try to hack FF or GC.
Cause hackers have a crush on them lol

Ever heard of Pwn2Own? They target Chrome and Fx all the time. Just because it's your favorite to use doesn't mean you aren't going to test it for security. If anything, probably the opposite.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by -Ninjex- on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:57 am
([msg=73450]see Re: Top Ten Programs[/msg])

I actually would say if you like a piece of software then hack it. This makes the developer patch it and make it even more secure.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
^(-.^)>
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

PreviousNext

Return to General