A case for Ruby and Unix

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Re: A case for Ruby and Unix

Post by 0phidian on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:37 pm
([msg=73374]see Re: A case for Ruby and Unix[/msg])

KthProg wrote:does python have the ability to
import dlls
use windows dlls without import (i.e anything windows can do VBDotNet can do including low-level operations)
create tcp/ip connections with ssl
communicate with any protocol over a tcp/ip connection
utilize multiple processors/processes simultaneously
run background processes
easily create activex controls
add multiple handlers to a single event
create database connections
store user settings (without sessions)
edit and sort XML
split strings
initialize variable at compile time or runtime
office interop
etc.

I don't think so
theres a reason python is called a scripting language and not just a programming language.


Yes, actually Python can do all of that and the reason it is a scripting language it because it is interpreted; it really has nothing to what it can or can not do.
User avatar
0phidian
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:04 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: A case for Ruby and Unix

Post by KthProg on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:49 pm
([msg=73375]see Re: A case for Ruby and Unix[/msg])

you cant even possibly claim that it has direct access to windows DLLs or Office interop, these are exclusive to .NET because it is a windows product.
nice try.
also direct access to windows DLLs was added when windows 8 was released, I doubt python already has the same feature.
User avatar
KthProg
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:06 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: A case for Ruby and Unix

Post by 0phidian on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:56 pm
([msg=73376]see Re: A case for Ruby and Unix[/msg])

KthProg wrote:you cant even possibly claim that it has direct access to windows DLLs or Office interop, these are exclusive to .NET because it is a windows product.
nice try.
also direct access to windows DLLs was added when windows 8 was released, I doubt python already has the same feature.

Python can work with dlls. Example

What do you mean by direct access?
User avatar
0phidian
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:04 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: A case for Ruby and Unix

Post by KthProg on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:33 pm
([msg=73378]see Re: A case for Ruby and Unix[/msg])

theres a namespace in vb net now that provides windows dlls without the need for import.
I am actually really surprised that it can import DLLs at all tbh though lol
User avatar
KthProg
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:06 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: A case for Ruby and Unix

Post by tgoe on Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:51 pm
([msg=73405]see Re: A case for Ruby and Unix[/msg])

If you did a little more research I think you'd be pretty suprised by how wrong you are on basically everything you've stated here in this thread.

LOL

I agree with you that the multitude of Linux distros can be annoying to develop and test for and taking your argument for an "Official Nix" further to an "Official OS" would certainly make things a little easier for a programmer. But that is simply unrealistic and a step back technologically in light of code sharing and competition. It sounds like you're just getting a taste of the power of the unix way via a cross-platform language and there might be a little confusion. Heredocs and command substitution for example are unixy things predating the invention of Ruby and Windows.

Saying things like *nix is underdeveloped, vb is the only language with "with" and admitting that your *nix experience is limited to a chapter in a book about Ruby is.... WTF

---

Just wanted to add that while getting some experience with *nix is a good thing and just about any of them will work, I think some are better than others for the purpose of learning Unix. I'd recommend something "Pure" like one of the BSDs or something like Arch or Debian.
User avatar
tgoe
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: q3dm7
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: A case for Ruby and Unix

Post by mShred on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:17 pm
([msg=73412]see Re: A case for Ruby and Unix[/msg])

tgoe wrote:Saying things like *nix is underdeveloped, vb is the only language with "with" and admitting that your *nix experience is limited to a chapter in a book about Ruby is.... WTF

---

Just wanted to add that while getting some experience with *nix is a good thing and just about any of them will work, I think some are better than others for the purpose of learning Unix. I'd recommend something "Pure" like one of the BSDs or something like Arch or Debian.

If I only I would have read this thread sooner.
OP, you can't base your knowledge off of one source, even so a source that you may be misinterpreting.. *Nix is in no way underdeveloped in comparison to Windows. They're two different operating systems serving two different missions.
Image

For those about to rock.
User avatar
mShred
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 1767
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:22 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)


Re: A case for Ruby and Unix

Post by KthProg on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:15 pm
([msg=73436]see Re: A case for Ruby and Unix[/msg])

I said I thought it might be the only language using with statements (not my fault somebody else claimed that on the internet)
Also relative to Windows *nix systems are less developed.
by this i mean theres nothing you cant do in windows that you can do in *Nix but the opposite is not true.
I was making a case for using Ruby over other scripting languages not trying to say that all of Rubys features are unique.

so what it is that you're arguing about im not sure.

Im just saying Ruby is imo the best scripting language(i read 7 chapters btw) thats 1/3 of the book.
and saying that unix systems, since they have a better CLI, are more suited for scripting in Ruby.

what exactly are you disagreeing with?
Last edited by KthProg on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
KthProg
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:06 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: A case for Ruby and Unix

Post by -Ninjex- on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:19 pm
([msg=73438]see Re: A case for Ruby and Unix[/msg])

KthProg wrote:Also relative to Windows *nix systems are less developed.

what exactly are you disagreeing with?


Meh, check the red.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
^(-.^)>
User avatar
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict
 
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:02 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: A case for Ruby and Unix

Post by KthProg on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:27 pm
([msg=73439]see Re: A case for Ruby and Unix[/msg])

Im actually going to switch back to ubuntu for a little bit for my entertainment now lol
Pluses so far knowing nothing about Ubuntu.
its a little more responsive than WIndows and formats content better.
How do I use CLI for Ubuntu???
its a little slower than windows though....
as far as opening software anyways.
it has better privacy options
thunderbird is awesome
User avatar
KthProg
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:06 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: A case for Ruby and Unix

Post by fashizzlepop on Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:25 am
([msg=73442]see Re: A case for Ruby and Unix[/msg])

tgoe wrote:If you did a little more research I think you'd be pretty suprised by how wrong you are on basically everything you've stated here in this thread.

LOL

I agree with you that the multitude of Linux distros can be annoying to develop and test for and taking your argument for an "Official Nix" further to an "Official OS" would certainly make things a little easier for a programmer. But that is simply unrealistic and a step back technologically in light of code sharing and competition. It sounds like you're just getting a taste of the power of the unix way via a cross-platform language and there might be a little confusion. Heredocs and command substitution for example are unixy things predating the invention of Ruby and Windows.

Saying things like *nix is underdeveloped, vb is the only language with "with" and admitting that your *nix experience is limited to a chapter in a book about Ruby is.... WTF

---

Just wanted to add that while getting some experience with *nix is a good thing and just about any of them will work, I think some are better than others for the purpose of learning Unix. I'd recommend something "Pure" like one of the BSDs or something like Arch or Debian.

This^ Just all of it.

KthProg wrote:Also relative to Windows *nix systems are less developed.<br>by this i mean theres nothing you cant do in windows that you can do in *Nix but the opposite is not true.

This is a contender for the most ignorant thing I've ever read. There is a TON you can do on Linux that you can't on Windows. A TON.

There's a reason MOST web servers are run on Linux and NOT windows. There's also a reason most tech startups use Linux and not Windows.

Also, just to clarify, just about anything written for any version of your "*nix" will run on any other version. Perhaps only a few things to alter to get them to run perfectly. It could be argued it's harder to develop for the different versions of Windows.

Open up the Terminal program in Ubuntu to access the command line.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
User avatar
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer
 
Posts: 2303
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 1:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests