Top Ten Programs

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Re: Top Ten Programs

Post by -Ninjex- on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:25 pm
([msg=73340]see Re: Top Ten Programs[/msg])

zeriasis2 wrote:Yea I'm liking Firefox a lot more right now less memory usage cause I only have 2gbs of memory at the moment until I get my new computer. But IE Runs the best so far out of both of them. I used to be a Chrome Diehard didn't like anything else but they just got sloppy and IE passed them up.

From me to you, I am genuinely sorry, I figured it would spark some curiosity for you to research it.

As for saying IE passed chrome up, I kind of disagree there. IE not to long ago had a zero day exploit. While Chrome loads everything in a Sandboxy, preventing a lot of attacks in itself. It depends on what your looking for in a browser I suppose. I don't think IE adds up to the best. You have to take into account security as well as how smooth it runs.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by KthProg on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:44 pm
([msg=73341]see Re: Top Ten Programs[/msg])

Chrome is a shit sandwich of performance issues though.
but for people like me who could care less about extensions IE is the best.
if you want your h4xx0r extensions (lol) then I think firefox is best,
KthProg
Poster
Poster

Post by -Ninjex- on Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:13 pm
([msg=73342]see Re: Top Ten Programs[/msg])

That wasn't my point, IE is less secure than both FF and GC
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by KthProg on Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:20 pm
([msg=73343]see Re: Top Ten Programs[/msg])

depends how you use the options.
Chrome really has almost no security options compared to IE and firefox whose options can be very specific.
As far as vulnerabilities, past vulnerabilities are meaningless since they're... in the past.
in IE right now I don't accept any cookies except ones I choose to, popups are blocked, it doesn't collect any history and deletes all collected information when I exit. It also doesn't cache any information (less performance but im less vulnerable). there are about 100 specific security options I cant even comprehend that are also all set to high for me.
So I really don't see how chrome could be more secure. it simply has too few security options, not to mention, its from a company that makes it money by collecting information.

what exactly is a zero-day vulnerability anyways?

also Im sure it was attacked for the same reason people make viruses for Windows instead of Macs.
KthProg
Poster
Poster

Post by -Ninjex- on Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:42 pm
([msg=73344]see Re: Top Ten Programs[/msg])

KthProg wrote:depends how you use the options.
Chrome really has almost no security options compared to IE and firefox whose options can be very specific.
As far as vulnerabilities, past vulnerabilities are meaningless since they're... in the past.
in IE right now I don't accept any cookies except ones I choose to, popups are blocked, it doesn't collect any history and deletes all collected information when I exit. It also doesn't cache any information (less performance but im less vulnerable). there are about 100 specific security options I cant even comprehend that are also all set to high for me.
So I really don't see how chrome could be more secure. it simply has too few security options, not to mention, its from a company that makes it money by collecting information.

what exactly is a zero-day vulnerability anyways?

also Im sure it was attacked for the same reason people make viruses for Windows instead of Macs.

A zero day is an exploit that has never been discovered before in something. It gets it's name because the developer of the software had zero days in order to address the issue, as it has never been found before. IE had recently had a zero day exploit that allowed malicious files/programs to be download from a website just by visiting the site, without the user knowing it or getting prompted for it before hand. The vulnerability is now fixed, but it took nearly a month for IE to fix this problem.

I believe that FF and GC also have the security abilities you stated above, except GC also loads sites up into a sandboxy, and IE does not. Look at how GC does this for added security.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by KthProg on Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:47 pm
([msg=73345]see Re: Top Ten Programs[/msg])

GC options are less specific and more difficult to access.
GC was made for the average person who wants a pretty looking HTTP application IMO.

for example, in GC, if you really work for it, you can disable cookies.
However, in GC, you can only disable them for each site visited.
In IE, you can disable them based on the site sending the cookies.

when I log on to HTS, I get cookies from HTS and then at least 5 ad sites.
in IE I can block all these ad sites, but still allow HTS to send me cookies, I wouldn't be able to do that in GC.

FF does have the same options as IE however.

I think i'm going to download FF now and use them both and do a comparison.

is it possible to do a poll on this?

I think it would be cool to open a poll/forum on best programs/OSs etc starting with best web browser.

whats a sandboxy?
KthProg
Poster
Poster

Post by -Ninjex- on Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:04 pm
([msg=73346]see Re: Top Ten Programs[/msg])

KthProg wrote:GC options are less specific and more difficult to access.
GC was made for the average person who wants a pretty looking HTTP application IMO.

for example, in GC, if you really work for it, you can disable cookies.
However, in GC, you can only disable them for each site visited.
In IE, you can disable them based on the site sending the cookies.

when I log on to HTS, I get cookies from HTS and then at least 5 ad sites.
in IE I can block all these ad sites, but still allow HTS to send me cookies, I wouldn't be able to do that in GC.

FF does have the same options as IE however.

I think i'm going to download FF now and use them both and do a comparison.

is it possible to do a poll on this?

I think it would be cool to open a poll/forum on best programs/OSs etc starting with best web browser.

whats a sandboxy?

I think hts used to have the ability to add in polls, but not anymore. Although I like the idea, and would support it.

Read up...
http://dev.chromium.org/developers/desi ... ts/sandbox
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by KthProg on Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:54 pm
([msg=73350]see Re: Top Ten Programs[/msg])

They're using phpBB so it should be as simple as setting the option...
it would definitely be interesting to get a better idea of what programs HTS members use
thanks for the link

it made me log back in when I tried to post
ill briefly post issues this time with sandboxy

its only as secure as the OS youre using
its not tested for windows 7 or 8
its not tested for ANY non windows OSs
no protection for FAT or FAT32 drives
it cannot protect a compromised system (because of number 1)

im not seeing how using OS level security instead of application level security benefits anyone, seems more like passing the buck to me. maybe im just not quite understanding the process.

its like my mom always says
"it's not a bug, it's a feature"
lollll
KthProg
Poster
Poster

Post by zeriasis2 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:47 pm
([msg=73379]see Re: Top Ten Programs[/msg])

-Ninjex- wrote:
zeriasis2 wrote:Yea I'm liking Firefox a lot more right now less memory usage cause I only have 2gbs of memory at the moment until I get my new computer. But IE Runs the best so far out of both of them. I used to be a Chrome Diehard didn't like anything else but they just got sloppy and IE passed them up.

From me to you, I am genuinely sorry, I figured it would spark some curiosity for you to research it.

As for saying IE passed chrome up, I kind of disagree there. IE not to long ago had a zero day exploit. While Chrome loads everything in a Sandboxy, preventing a lot of attacks in itself. It depends on what your looking for in a browser I suppose. I don't think IE adds up to the best. You have to take into account security as well as how smooth it runs.

Apology accepted man It's really no biggy.
But I just use stuff for performance right now cause I have such a shitty computer But I mean all the security in the world A hacker can always get past or in just has to find that one way...

-- Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:52 pm --

A question Is there a chat program that encrypts everything that is sent so nobody else but you and the chatter can read it?
zeriasis2
New User
New User

Post by -Ninjex- on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:16 am
([msg=73381]see Re: Top Ten Programs[/msg])

zeriasis2 wrote:
A question Is there a chat program that encrypts everything that is sent so nobody else but you and the chatter can read it?

When I think of encrypting chat between me and someone to the best of my ability I think of PGP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Good_Privacy
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

PreviousNext

Return to General