Blessing or Curse

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Blessing or Curse

Post by 0phidian on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:41 pm
([msg=72642]see Blessing or Curse[/msg])

I thought that knowing so much about IT,programming security, etc. already would be a blessing while going through college. I am way, way ahead of everyone else and it's incredibly easy, but the problem is its too easy. I just got done coding a packet sniffer, then went to class and tryed not to fall asleep while my professors were showing the class how to print "Hello World!". The worst though is the security classes I have taken. I hate to sound egotistical and my professors are incredibly smart people, but when it comes to security I cant help but feel I know far more than they do about it. Overall I just feel like I'm wasting my time with my CS classes. Anyone else having/had a similar experience?
0phidian
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Blessing or Curse

Post by WallShadow on Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:45 pm
([msg=72643]see Re: Blessing or Curse[/msg])

Same. I've taken a couple of courses now where i've been vastly ahead of everyone. It's a pain when you've been toying with the command prompt for years to the point where you can make most anything with batch files... and they present it saying "just type in 'ping 192.168.1.1' " slowly and clearly, and people still have problems with even that.
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by limdis on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:44 pm
([msg=72646]see Re: Blessing or Curse[/msg])

Push through it mate. College is about the game more so than learning (sadly). Think of it as a win win. Yes you have to sit through a boring class but you are not going to have any problems making a good grade. Also allows you to spend your free time on things that are you on level with. It will pay off in the long run.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by pretentious on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:48 am
([msg=72660]see Re: Blessing or Curse[/msg])

I'm in the same boat. After my first semester at uni. I literally stopped turning up to half my classes and still got High distictions lol, my classes didn't have attendance requirements. Like Limdis said, play the game. I've enrolled in classes that i'm already quite familiar with so i shouldn't have too much studying to do and will have more time to persue 'actual learning' while i progress through my formal education
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Post by weekend hacker on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:15 am
([msg=73007]see Re: Blessing or Curse[/msg])

I've been in the same situation. In my case I ended up not going to classes at all, not even the general classes which did have attendance. I passed all programming and technical classes without ever showing up but obviously failed at the others. I was in a situation where I needed to get 100% on my exams just to get a 50% total score.
Not learning anything new can be very de-motivational and I ended up quitting.
After a year or so of working I'm now finishing the CS stuff in night classes and started over in the first year of college doing something totally else. Currently doing electronics which is something I don't know a lot about and its a lot more fun to actually have to work for your grade and learning new things.

My point with this is, you need to decide if you can keep doing practically nothing in school for the remainder of your years or if your time is best spend doing something else you like but don't know much about.
Doing nothing gets harder the longer you have to do it, especially while on drugs. I'd advice against it.
To get a job being able to show code is often more important then having a cs degree. The degree only means you have to absolute minimum knowledge required to do a job, not that you really know your stuff.
<Yoda> if someone says something i don't like, i ban him, ban whoever defends him, and then ban the witnesses...
weekend hacker
Administrator
Administrator

Return to General