What's what?!

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Re: What's what?!

Post by CoffeeAtNight on Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:57 pm
([msg=72602]see Re: What's what?![/msg])

Just finished reading all the information about html on w3schools. What's wrong with learning from that site? I've heard several people say that the site wasn't the best but they don't go any further than that. I'm now checking out codeacademy.com. Thanks for the help you guys, it means a lot to me.

Oh, one question I have: I've been looking up information on the very basics of networks, specifically IP addresses and I was wondering what is the fuss with knowing someones IP number? Is it just the multiple pinging one can do or are there other things that have/can be done with it?

Edit: Nevermind, I see why codeacademy.com is superior. Much more in depth with an easier understanding of what I'm doing. Thanks!
CoffeeAtNight
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: What's what?!

Post by -Ninjex- on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:08 pm
([msg=72604]see Re: What's what?![/msg])

CoffeeAtNight wrote:Oh, one question I have: I've been looking up information on the very basics of networks, specifically IP addresses and I was wondering what is the fuss with knowing someones IP number? Is it just the multiple pinging one can do or are there other things that have/can be done with it?

Someone having your IP mainly leads to DoS/DDoS attacks, but not always. Someone with your IP could scan your computer with something such as nmap, and find open ports. They can then use a variety of different approaches to test against these open ports. If there is a open port that is not secure, it could be very harmful. Open ports can lead to a system becoming fully compromised. Your IP address if used with a variety of different methods could lead to dox releases / intel gathering. In a sense, footprinting the person for more information. Maybe your password has to do something with your location or something else that the attacker could get with your IP. For instance, if you live in the UK, and an attacker managed to get access to a password / file / whatever that needs to be brutforced, they can load up a dictionary with a UK slang to it, instead of a traditional English dictionary. Same logic applies to people from other countries, it would be best to use a dictionary that would be allocated to their native language.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (0)

Previous

Return to NZone