i lost the cd:key for my windows xp disk?

The ubiquitous operating system, discussion of its (many) flaws, and how to mitigate the risks of those flaws

i lost the cd:key for my windows xp disk?

Post by Cookie2323 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:52 am
([msg=72463]see i lost the cd:key for my windows xp disk?[/msg])

Hey guys .

I lost the cd key for my windows XP disk. i know their a way to get it off the DISK because i was reading on it untill i had to leave and when i came back i couldn't find it -,- can anyone help me ?

Thank you very much :D
I always loved computers as a kid But Could never learn how to hack/networking because of my Reading/Writing skills Now im back after a couple of years still not that good But alot better then before! THANK YOU For your help:D
Cookie2323
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: i lost the cd:key for my windows xp disk?

Post by fashizzlepop on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:16 pm
([msg=72464]see Re: i lost the cd:key for my windows xp disk?[/msg])

What do you mean you were reading it off the disk? As far as I know you're just going to have to find another key. It doesn't have a specific key stored on the disk (unless it's an illegitimate copy where it IS stored on the disk, in which case you just need to look). XP uses an algorithm to test if a key is valid.

Also, I'm moving this out of Comments and Suggestions.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by Cookie2323 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:30 pm
([msg=72469]see Re: i lost the cd:key for my windows xp disk?[/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote:What do you mean you were reading it off the disk? As far as I know you're just going to have to find another key. It doesn't have a specific key stored on the disk (unless it's an illegitimate copy where it IS stored on the disk, in which case you just need to look). XP uses an algorithm to test if a key is valid.

Sorry i was Reading off a Website , and Will any other key work for my disk ?

-- Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:32 pm --

fashizzlepop wrote:What do you mean you were reading it off the disk? As far as I know you're just going to have to find another key. It doesn't have a specific key stored on the disk (unless it's an illegitimate copy where it IS stored on the disk, in which case you just need to look). XP uses an algorithm to test if a key is valid.

And np sorry im kind new to all this i dont know where i should post things sorry if im bugging you xD! Thank you tho for all your help really appreciate it!
I always loved computers as a kid But Could never learn how to hack/networking because of my Reading/Writing skills Now im back after a couple of years still not that good But alot better then before! THANK YOU For your help:D
Cookie2323
New User
New User

Post by fashizzlepop on Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:28 pm
([msg=72475]see Re: i lost the cd:key for my windows xp disk?[/msg])

Any XP key *should* work. Of legally, no, and whether or not there are any other features in place that check for duplicate/overused keys, idk.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by WallShadow on Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:25 pm
([msg=72506]see Re: i lost the cd:key for my windows xp disk?[/msg])

No, since windows machines can be installed without internet connection and the disk doesn't have a hard-coded number in it (I think, correct me if i'm wrong), then we can safely assume that there is no *initial* check for none-duplication. But I'm fairly sure that the genuine windows thingy ma gig does check for some kinds of duplication, but not all. The Genuine Windows checker requires internet connection, however i have genuine windows set on a couple of machines (no more than 5) all with the same exact disk and key, so they don't check for all kinds of duplicity, only the popular ones.
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by fashizzlepop on Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:29 pm
([msg=72510]see Re: i lost the cd:key for my windows xp disk?[/msg])

I think WallShadow is right.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by limdis on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:01 pm
([msg=72611]see Re: i lost the cd:key for my windows xp disk?[/msg])

Wallshadow is right. As far as keys go though it depends on they key itself and no so much the disc. Most keys are for personal use and allow for you to use 3-5 times or so. However, if you get your hands on a business key then you are likely to be able to use forever. For example schools use the same key every time because that key was purchased for unlimited installs. Now if you choose to go non-genuine route then you can still use the OS but you won't be privy to the windows updates. They will need to be downloaded and installed individually.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Return to Microsoft Windows