What Should I Do With Old Servers?

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Post by SneakerNet on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:14 am
([msg=72341]see What Should I Do With Old Servers?[/msg])

Greetings,

I have 3 Dell R200 servers that are old but still good for messing around on. All are running with Pentium Dual Core 2.4GHz, with 6GB/4GB/4GB RAM, and two 146GB SAS drives in each server using RAID 1. Currently I have CentOS 6.3 loaded on one R200 and the other two have no OS installed. The only two things I can think of doing is creating a VPN and getting familiar with KVM. I don't have access to any Windows Server OS, so I prefer sticking with open source products atm.

Thanks for the insight and I look forward to checking back.
SneakerNet
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: What Should I Do With Old Servers?

Post by -Ninjex- on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:21 am
([msg=72342]see Re: What Should I Do With Old Servers?[/msg])

SneakerNet wrote:Greetings,

I have 3 Dell R200 servers that are old but still good for messing around on. All are running with Pentium Dual Core 2.4GHz, with 6GB/4GB/4GB RAM, and two 146GB SAS drives in each server using RAID 1. Currently I have CentOS 6.3 loaded on one R200 and the other two have no OS installed. The only two things I can think of doing is creating a VPN and getting familiar with KVM. I don't have access to any Windows Server OS, so I prefer sticking with open source products atm.

Do what you want to do with them of course... You seem to have a goal set in your mind already. You know what inspires you, and what you need/want to learn. Make your goal reality.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
^(-.^)>
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by WallShadow on Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:44 pm
([msg=72359]see Re: What Should I Do With Old Servers?[/msg])

SneakerNet wrote:Greetings,

If you're interested in security, i'd recommend setting up various types of servers or hosts and playing around with it. If you're doing anything with crypto, 3 of those things working together could easily be used to crack simple ciphers day and night. Heck, you could even set up a real web server and offer some kind of services like hash cracking or proxying or tor proxying , maybe even sign up for a server sharing program and actually earn yourself some cash.
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tgoe on Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:17 pm
([msg=72379]see Re: What Should I Do With Old Servers?[/msg])

plz seed

:D
tgoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by limdis on Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:19 pm
([msg=72380]see Re: What Should I Do With Old Servers?[/msg])

tgoe wrote:plz seed

lmao

You could do this:
https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-doc-relay.html.en
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by fashizzlepop on Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:45 pm
([msg=72384]see Re: What Should I Do With Old Servers?[/msg])

Those machines probably aren't powerful enough to use them as encryption crackers. VPN would be fun and you might also be interested in hosting VPSs.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by SneakerNet on Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:08 am
([msg=72398]see Re: What Should I Do With Old Servers?[/msg])

Leasing them out never crossed my mind, that sounds like a great idea. If I bought the cabling, switch, router and a 10U rack, I could potentially rent the thing out to some buddies for their practices.
SneakerNet
New User
New User

Post by -Ninjex- on Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:10 am
([msg=72399]see Re: What Should I Do With Old Servers?[/msg])

SneakerNet wrote:Leasing them out never crossed my mind, that sounds like a great idea. If I bought the cabling, switch, router and a 10U rack, I could potentially rent the thing out to some buddies for their practices.

As long as you are considering me a buddy lol jk.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
^(-.^)>
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by fashizzlepop on Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:59 am
([msg=72402]see Re: What Should I Do With Old Servers?[/msg])

You could of course use it as a pen testing environment as well.

In fact, you could rent it out as a pen testing environment or make it private/invite only. Make a virtual instance of DVL and another (or many) of BackTrack and let people use it for pentesting or other rooting challenges.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by SneakerNet on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:07 pm
([msg=72413]see Re: What Should I Do With Old Servers?[/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote:You could of course use it as a pen testing environment as well.

In fact, you could rent it out as a pen testing environment or make it private/invite only. Make a virtual instance of DVL and another (or many) of BackTrack and let people use it for pentesting or other rooting challenges.

There's an idea, I have the ISO's of DVL and BackTrack that I'll load onto the Dells later this week. I'm interested in the pentesting environment, but have yet to see how much my bill will go up when running all this equipment. I haven't done much researching yet on renting out rack time, but it might be hard matching my overhead without this being a professional environment and not charging near their prices. When I last heard I think the best rate was around $2.50 an hour, maybe I'll be able to get away with $1.75-$2.00 without having cutting edge hardware.
SneakerNet
New User
New User

Next

Return to General