PCB etching

General technological topics without their own forum go here

PCB etching

Post by WallShadow on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:29 pm
([msg=72153]see PCB etching[/msg])

Good afternoon HTS,

I've been studying a lot of circuitry lately and am planing to etch a few of my own PCBs soon and I have a simple question; I'm planning to use the hydrogen peroxide and hydrochloric acid method to etch the copper boards which is simple and cheap, but unfortunately it produces copper chloride in the process which is toxic and illegal to simply flush down the sink. I have no plans of reusing it, so does anyone know how to properly dispose of it in the US? I've heard of precipitating it out with baking soda and of turning it into aluminum chloride and then flushing it down the sink, but does anyone know if these methods actually work and are legal? Also, any other tips would also be nice, thanks!

- WallShadow <3
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: PCB etching

Post by fashizzlepop on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:38 pm
([msg=72154]see Re: PCB etching[/msg])

I've found multiple sources that suggest neutralizing it first will do the trick. So yeah, baking soda should work. Then just filter the precipitate out and you should be good to go.

Further info:
Sciencelab.com
For non-emergency assistance, call: 1-281-441-4400
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by Epsilon0_mu0 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:13 pm
([msg=72155]see Re: PCB etching[/msg])

Seconded. If you want to dispose of it you need to neutralize it, or take it to a hazardous waste disposal facility, if there is one near by.
Epsilon0_mu0
New User
New User

Post by Fehk on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:16 am
([msg=72167]see Re: PCB etching[/msg])

Cupric chloride is less harmful than cuprous chloride, but both chemicals should be neutralized.

Both cupric and cuprous chloride can be easily solved in water. add the solution to a solution of water with Calcium hydroxide to get copper hydroxide, then oilpaint a giant canvas with copper hydroxide as pigment :p (don't let the copper hydroxide dry out too much, as it reacts with air)
Fehk
New User
New User

Return to General