Drugs and manipulation

Social engineering is the art of manipulating people into performing actions or divulging confidential information. While similar to a confidence trick or simple fraud, the term typically applies to trickery for information gathering or computer system access and in most cases the attacker never comes face-to-face with the victim.

Drugs and manipulation

Post by Fehk on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:46 am
([msg=72147]see Drugs and manipulation[/msg])

I've come across this article about Devils Breath. It's basically a plant which can make people hallucinate but also makes them a lot more susceptible to suggestions and manipulation (basically, an advanced sort of rohypnol which takes away your willpower but keeps you lucid enough to do things). I would like to use this article as a starting point for a discussion about the role that drugs play in social engineering, rapport, suggestion, and manipulation. I'd suggest to do some research yourself or read the article I linked and get some debates going about all sorts of drugs that would help or thwart attempts at social engineering and straightforward manipulation. It doesn't have to be heroin, MDMA or devils breath... More innocent looking substances like alcohol, chocolate, etc can be included too. If it helps, here's some questions to start with:

1. Do you think it's justified if person x would use Devils Breath to manipulate person y into doing something good for person z?
  2. Do you think it's justified if person x would use Devils Breath to manipulate person y into doing something good for persons z, a, b and c?
  3. Do you think it's justified if person x would use Devils Breath to manipulate person y into doing something for person x's own benefit?
  4. Do you perceive alcohol as a hard drug?
  5. In your opinion, what constitutes as a hard drug?
  6. If you would have a lab at your disposal, would you use chemicals to further good causes through the manipulation of certain individuals or parts of organisations?
  7. Do you think it's possible to fully control someone, as described in the article, or do you think any sane person will always keep a modicum of control over his thoughts and actions?
  8. Do you feel threatened by the thought of this drug being real and being used by criminals and government organisations?
  9. What sort of influence do you think drug e or f has on the emotions and actions of people?

Obviously, these are all hypotheticals, please don't try any of the above at home :evil:

edit: Also, if you've seen the movie Limitless, I also wanted to add that there might be a substance (Beta-NGF) coming out that is rumored to provide you with a keen memory, better reaction time, overall intelligence and overall resilience vs. mental illnesses (also restores eye damage in some cases). Therefore, one last question I'd like to ask is: Would you take a drug to slightly 'enhance' yourself if it proves to be harmless?
Fehk
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Drugs and manipulation

Post by WallShadow on Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:13 am
([msg=72148]see Re: Drugs and manipulation[/msg])

Hmm, that is an interesting thing, devil's breath. I hate the thought of a passer by drugging me like that. But I think that secret agencies all over the world have already probably concocted stuff hundreds of time more powerful than it (or at least taken this and purified and concentrated it much more than what's in columbia).

My opinion to the questions vary with the item being used. I'd easily use alcohol or chocolate to perform any of these, but I'd be significantly more hesitant with things like devil's breath.

1. When do I ever do anything for someone else's own good? The answer is yes though.
2. When do I ever do anything for someone else's own good? The answer is yes though.
3. Totally.
4. Nope.
5. Anything you can get addicted to easily (i.e. 3 hits or less) or anything that causes severe damage to tissue and memory.
6. When do I ever do anything for someone else's own good? The answer is yes though.
7. A sane person is sane, but still a human. Humans operate on weak electrical signals, chemical reactions, and chemical signals in our nerves and blood. Until you change that, yes, there will always be a way to completely control a human.
8. 100%, I'm coming up with defense and counter-action plans in my head just as I'm writing this.
9. No idea and I'd rather not find out.
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Fehk on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:03 pm
([msg=72161]see Re: Drugs and manipulation[/msg])

WallShadow wrote:...
3. Totally.
8. 100%, I'm coming up with defense and counter-action plans in my head just as I'm writing this.

I can relate to that :p
Fehk
New User
New User

Post by weekend hacker on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:37 am
([msg=72177]see Re: Drugs and manipulation[/msg])

I think any form of manipulating people into doing something is bad no matter what your reasons are. Free will is in my mind one of the most important things EVER. O.O
That said, look into haitian zombies for examples of how these sorts of drugs get applied in the real world.(hint: for bad stuff)
<Yoda> if someone says something i don't like, i ban him, ban whoever defends him, and then ban the witnesses...
weekend hacker
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Social Engineering