Connected but No Access

Bad threads go here

Connected but No Access

Post by Lestat84 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:07 pm
([msg=71979]see Connected but No Access[/msg])

Hi everyone. I am at a boarding school where access to the schools' network is blocked after 10:30 pm. I can connect to the network just fine, but i can't load pages or use skype or anything at all. VPNs used to be a workaround but now they have taken steps against that so there is flat out no way to load anything that I'm aware of. Is there a way around this? Also I have a windows 8 and Xubuntu 12.04 LTS computer. One is a laptop, the other a desktop and no, there is no ethernet access either. my main goal is skype access on my Xubuntu laptop, but even more useful solutions are appreciated assuming there are any. Thanks guys.
Lestat84
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Connected but No Access

Post by -Ninjex- on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:37 am
([msg=71985]see Re: Connected but No Access[/msg])

Lestat84 wrote:Hi everyone. I am at a boarding school where access to the schools' network is blocked after 10:30 pm. I can connect to the network just fine, but i can't load pages or use skype or anything at all. VPNs used to be a workaround but now they have taken steps against that so there is flat out no way to load anything that I'm aware of. Is there a way around this? Also I have a windows 8 and Xubuntu 12.04 LTS computer. One is a laptop, the other a desktop and no, there is no ethernet access either. my main goal is skype access on my Xubuntu laptop, but even more useful solutions are appreciated assuming there are any. Thanks guys.

I'm not sure what they are doing to prevent access, if you could tell me more about it?
As of now I would suggest the obvious, get Tor and proxychains. With those, you should be able to run Skype via proxychains with Tor's Socks5. Do this in your *nix distro. You could also get dirty and try other things, but that's kinda too black hat for me to speak on.
Message me back and let me know!
Spreading knowledge just once a day, can help keep the script kiddies away ⠠⠵
no_hope if world.map{|person, ic = 0| ic +=1 if ignorance.include?(person)}.compact.length > (world.length / 2)
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by WallShadow on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:47 am
([msg=71995]see Re: Connected but No Access[/msg])

Lestat84 wrote:Hi everyone. I am at a boarding school where access to the schools' network is blocked after 10:30 pm. I can connect to the network just fine, but i can't load pages or use skype or anything at all. VPNs used to be a workaround but now they have taken steps against that so there is flat out no way to load anything that I'm aware of. Is there a way around this? Also I have a windows 8 and Xubuntu 12.04 LTS computer. One is a laptop, the other a desktop and no, there is no ethernet access either. my main goal is skype access on my Xubuntu laptop, but even more useful solutions are appreciated assuming there are any. Thanks guys.

Try doing some network debugging. Get a rough map of your network, ping everything, figure out what the default gateway is. After you have some idea of how the network is set up, try running a tracert command on, say, google.com when you have internet, and then run the same command when the internet is down. Compare results. I'm just guessing right now, but what they may have done is simply flip a switch at 10:30 which blocks the connection between the router and the modem, or just simply shut off the router. If that is the case, then you should still be able to connect on the local network, just not out to the internet (or should we say, inter-router-net). To test this, find the IP of a one of your own devices (make sure it is on at the time) and try pinging it with another device across the network, they should ping just fine, even with the internet down.
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lestat84 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:03 pm
([msg=72113]see Re: Connected but No Access[/msg])

WallShadow wrote:

Try doing some network debugging. Get a rough map of your network, ping everything, figure out what the default gateway is. After you have some idea of how the network is set up, try running a tracert command on, say, google.com when you have internet, and then run the same command when the internet is down. Compare results. I'm just guessing right now, but what they may have done is simply flip a switch at 10:30 which blocks the connection between the router and the modem, or just simply shut off the router. If that is the case, then you should still be able to connect on the local network, just not out to the internet (or should we say, inter-router-net). To test this, find the IP of a one of your own devices (make sure it is on at the time) and try pinging it with another device across the network, they should ping just fine, even with the internet down.

the funny thing is i can use the wifi at all times for things like kik or kakaotalk, but i can't use skype. what is the process of network debugging exactly? and i can connect fine, i just can't do anything on the network. so after doing what you say, what is the solution? also, I am more than willing to go into black hat stuff. I despise the IT department at my school so I'll do anything to spite them lol.
Lestat84
New User
New User

Post by -Ninjex- on Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:32 pm
([msg=72116]see Re: Connected but No Access[/msg])

Lestat84 wrote:I am more than willing to go into black hat stuff. I despise the IT department at my school so I'll do anything to spite them lol.

We do not support black hat activity, however we will support the pursuit of knowledge.
Next time I would suggest wording that different.
Have you tried my post above yet?
If it deals with your external IP, that should help.
If it's something inside, I am not familiar with how you would go about manipulating it except maybe getting root and activating services? My knowledge is very poor when it comes to changing how something effects services via internal IP's, and for that I am sorry I can't help.
Spreading knowledge just once a day, can help keep the script kiddies away ⠠⠵
no_hope if world.map{|person, ic = 0| ic +=1 if ignorance.include?(person)}.compact.length > (world.length / 2)
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:42 pm
([msg=72120]see Re: Connected but No Access[/msg])

Just out of curiosity I would try nmap and see what is able to be seen before you have access and after then possibly look into network traffic at both times. If they restrict your access out to the internet are you still able to ping other machines on the local network?
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by WallShadow on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:36 am
([msg=72124]see Re: Connected but No Access[/msg])

Lestat84 wrote:the funny thing is i can use the wifi at all times for things like kik or kakaotalk, but i can't use skype. what is the process of network debugging exactly? and i can connect fine, i just can't do anything on the network. so after doing what you say, what is the solution? also, I am more than willing to go into black hat stuff. I despise the IT department at my school so I'll do anything to spite them lol.

how can you propose black hat action, if you can't even ping an tracert your own network...
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lestat84 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:53 pm
([msg=76915]see Re: Connected but No Access[/msg])

i am pretty sure that the access blocking is an internal protocol within the network. i am shown to be connected, but loading any webpages stalls and anything that requires internet does not connect. tor does not help nor do proxies. it's very frustrating.
Lestat84
New User
New User

Post by Goatboy on Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:38 am
([msg=76963]see Re: Connected but No Access[/msg])

Old thread is old. Let it die.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Return to Graveyard