Goodbye BT5 Kinda

Random things go here

Goodbye BT5 Kinda

Post by -Ninjex- on Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:17 pm
([msg=71879]see Goodbye BT5 Kinda[/msg])

I guess it is just me, but looking at it now, I would much rather run BT5 on a disk, thumbdrive, or virtual box opposed to installing it straight to my HDD. The system is very fragile in a sense that you can have hell getting it back to normal sometimes. When using BT5 as a primary os, I found many errors and broken packages / missing files etc that seem to just pop up out of random. I made the switch and just started using the Ubuntu distribution because you can download most of the useful tools in BT5 such as Nmap, Metasploit, Wireshark, etc... It takes a while longer to set it up the way BT5 comes out of the package, but I think in time, it will be a bit more stable. It is wierd though, as I know BT5 is based on the Ubuntu distro, but the out of the pack Ubuntu seems much more stable. As for BT5 I am going to be running it in a Vbox from now on.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Goodbye BT5 Kinda

Post by limdis on Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:01 pm
([msg=71880]see Re: Goodbye BT5 Kinda[/msg])

I started with BT3. The entire time I don't believe it was designed to be a primary OS. It's just not packaged that way. Just be careful running BT through VM. Wireless cards have given a lot of people (and myself) problems when using a VM.I personally suggest USB, for mobility and ease of updating the image as you please.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by -Ninjex- on Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:41 pm
([msg=71882]see Re: Goodbye BT5 Kinda[/msg])

limdis wrote:I started with BT3. The entire time I don't believe it was designed to be a primary OS. It's just not packaged that way. Just be careful running BT through VM. Wireless cards have given a lot of people (and myself) problems when using a VM.I personally suggest USB, for mobility and ease of updating the image as you please.

Thanks for the heads up, guess I will be pulling out that unetbootin one more time
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by mShred on Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:09 am
([msg=71904]see Re: Goodbye BT5 Kinda[/msg])

Backtrack was never designed to be an installed OS. Now I stand by using it as a liveCD. Like limdis said, even virtualboxes can be hell because it's still technically installed. Not to mention the raging hell that wireless cards do give you when using virtualboxes for BT. But it is doable. I recall running a few an installed BT5 VM while running a liveCD on a different box (double peno on one site), and the liveCD was a lot easier to configure before it was good to go.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Return to Off-Topic