How can i modify an application to hide it's icon from tray?

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

How can i modify an application to hide it's icon from tray?

Post by Powermun50 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:56 am
([msg=71770]see How can i modify an application to hide it's icon from tray?[/msg])

I am trying to modify an application named Usb Autorun software by oliv. This software is usefull for me but only i hate the software iS for it's tray icon.I tried to remove the icon using reshcker but failed :( .I also tried to modify it using hex editor but dont no how to do that.Now hopefully i am asking to you can you please :| help me how can i modify that software to remove system tray icon or can you please modify and upload for me please.I'll be glad to know you do that. thank you...
Powermun50
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: How can i modify an application to hide it's icon from tray?

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:09 am
([msg=71772]see Re: How can i modify an application to hide it's icon from tray?[/msg])

You should be able to hide it by opening the tray and clicking on customize. Under the behavior columns just choose hide icon for that application.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by NightQuest on Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:25 am
([msg=71773]see Re: How can i modify an application to hide it's icon from tray?[/msg])

Completely removing its tray icon.. your best bet is probably to NOP all calls to Shell_NotifyIcon.
I took a look at it and it looks like they wrap Shell_NotifyIcon in several different functions (most likely due to different events firing), so you may want to cause the program to simply not call those functions (either via NOPing, or jumping over them).

I'd personally recommend OllyDbg for the actual edits and learning a little x86 assembly if you don't know it yet, a look into the Win32 API will also be handy.
NightQuest
Developer
Developer

Post by Powermun50 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:33 am
([msg=71781]see Re: How can i modify an application to hide it's icon from tray?[/msg])

Thank you Mr.NightQuest sir.I've found your reply very useful.OllyDbg is really nice and useful software.But again i found that massage after modifing and saving that software.The massage is(Usb Autorun.exe is not valid win32 Application).May be i have done something wrong.Once again my request is to you, please disable that software's notification icon and upload it for me.I will be glad to know that.Thank you.
Powermun50
New User
New User

Post by pretentious on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:31 am
([msg=71790]see Re: How can i modify an application to hide it's icon from tray?[/msg])

not to be that guy, but depending of the software licensing, reverse engineering can be illegal. What you do in your own time is none of our business or concern but with this request, your implicating HTS in your shit. And if I'm just over reacting and the program is open source, wouldn't it be easier to modify the code?
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Post by fashizzlepop on Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:47 am
([msg=71791]see Re: How can i modify an application to hide it's icon from tray?[/msg])

pretentious wrote:not to be that guy, but depending of the software licensing, reverse engineering can be illegal. What you do in your own time is none of our business or concern but with this request, your implicating HTS in your shit. And if I'm just over reacting and the program is open source, wouldn't it be easier to modify the code?

AKAIK, all HTS is concerned with is we're not directly helping someone with what is obviously illegal activity. So far this seems like a legitimate question. I say, carry on.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Return to NZone