Proof that God does/doesn't exist.

For discussing religion and related topics.

Re: Proof that God does/doesn't exist.

Post by nigelpurc on Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:54 pm
([msg=69892]see Re: Proof that God does/doesn't exist.[/msg])

It's okay I assume anyone I don't understand is high on ether.
I understood what you wrote just remember you're working with theories not facts.
They sent me to be a ring leader, but I just joined the circus.
nigelpurc
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by gopher2015 on Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:00 am
([msg=71205]see Re: Proof that God does/doesn't exist.[/msg])

Whether there is a direct proof that God does or does not exist, if you look at Pascal's Wager there is a logical argument for believing, disregarding the actual existence.

Pascal's Wager goes along the lines of:
There are two possibilities, there is a God or there isn't.
If there is a God, and you believe in him/her, it is possible for you to go to "heaven" in the afterlife.
If you don't believe you will go to "hell".
If there isn't a God, it doesn't matter whether you believe in him/her, because then there isn't an afterlife for you to go to.

So in summary, if you believe, you have a chance at heaven, hell, or nothing when you die. If you don't believe you have a chance at hell or nothing. With those options, believing in God is the only option that has a positive outcome.
gopher2015
New User
New User

Post by Threethumb on Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:11 pm
([msg=71729]see Re: Proof that God does/doesn't exist.[/msg])

Finarfin Palantir wrote:I have personally never seen my brain, I have never heard my brain, I have never smelled my brain, in fact nobody has ever really given me any facts that my brain does exist but I can ofcourse take the bread knife and do a little experiment, which would most probably prove that my brain does exist but isn't working, point being, I believe I do have a brian and I do believe it is functioning as it should.

Finarfin Palantir wrote:The fact is, Jesus Christ was here and he did die on the cross.

You question the fact of whether you have a brain inside your head or not, but you don't even hesitate a second to say there's no way an event which transpired 2000 years ago didn't happen. I can't really wrap my head around how you manage to pull that off.

Anyone who knows there is or isn't a god, would have to know a lot more than me. When it comes to speculation though, I'd say reading "The Demon-Haunted World" is the best thing you could do. Carl Sagan quite eloquently discusses the topic of why a god seems unlikely, and I think if you read that entire book, even the most devout believer would feel a slight sliver of a doubt start to grow.
Threethumb
New User
New User

Post by Cerebral Bore on Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:14 am
([msg=71742]see Re: Proof that God does/doesn't exist.[/msg])

Well this topic seems to be popular *shrugs*, funny that this topic is popular when we should all be talking about network security topics O_o

My self i believe in Philosophy and truth and i understand that not all truths should be spoken.
Theirs a time and a place for everything.
Philosophy is a side hobbie of mine.
Religion is one kind of it though sadly most are full of lies,half truths and political agendas and the ability to understand isn't the ability to complicate the topic but rather to simplify it in to is most compact forum.
None the less some of the fundamental truths in them still apply to the modern world we all live in.
Technology has changed but human nature has not.
Therefor the study of the human condition that is recorded in the books of religion of the world should still be treated with respect seeing as they are a history of the human condition dating back 6000 years or more and i find their is truth in some of the aspects of all the religions of the world up to a point.
Even when faced with a story full of lies their is still some truth in it,one needs only to find it.

I bereave in the spiritual and the supernatural,to think their is none or to think that we know it all is arrogant, as well it seems to heartless to think of humans as nothing more then biological robots that when they don't do what you want them to the answer to the problem is medications.
the world is full of story's that science can not explain.
Now i don't know about you but theirs feu religions that promote philosophy from a perceptive of pure truth as we know it in the times that we now live in.
closed mindedness walks hand and and with ignorance.

The Root of All Evil - The God Delusion part 1
The Root of All Evil - The God Delusion part 2
Richard Dawkins - The Enemies Of Reason
Judgment Day: Intelligent Design On Trial (creationism vs evolution)
Richard Dawkins Interviews Creationist Wendy Wright
God is a bottle of milk
Mormonism explained

-----------------------

Budda stated "all my followers should not accept my teaching out of devotion or out of faith, but rather through thorough investigation and experiment.

Confucius
Buddha - A Documentary About Buddhism
Buddhism: The last honest religion? Entertaining Q&A with Dalai Lama

If your Philosophy "Religion" can't stand up to a open debate then your Philosophy "Religion" isn't worth my time.
Last but not least, Philosophy tends to be more open minded to differences of option and is in the pursuit of enlightenment.
All too often Religion is closed minded and if you don't believe what i say, my Religion allows me to kill you and go to paradise.
Hemmm yaaaa ok whatever.
Enjoy :mrgreen:

All so see lolz
Edit:added lolz link
Cerebral Bore
New User
New User

Previous

Return to Religion