Introduce Yourself  Topic is solved

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by corbonium on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:57 pm
([msg=72005]see Re: Introduce Yourself[/msg])

Whats up guys, I'm a computer science dropout. I hold A+ and Network+ certifications, but still haven't landed that first IT career job yet.

My reasons for joining and learning about hacking are various. Employment skill-sets, anonymity and defense of my own privacy. I believe the right to hack, (or at least know how to hack) is just as valid as 2nd amendment is here in the states, both for personal defense, and offense in times of insurrection and protest against government corruption or foreign invasion, etc. And also, why the hell not?! It's fun!! i've been through basic 1-11 and a few various others, and I've enjoyed the hell out of it so far.

In my limited experience on this site, I've developed an itinerary for my self-education: html(completed) -> javacript -> php -> C/C++ -> python . Any amendments or additions you think I should make would be appreciated. Also, I have no idea how to even operate linux/unix on even a basic level, so I need to figure that out at some point, was thinking of trying ubuntu. See you guys around.
corbonium
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by Epsilon0_mu0 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:08 pm
([msg=72055]see Re: Introduce Yourself[/msg])

Hi guys. I am an Electrical and Electronics Engineering undergrad, and stumbled across this forum a few days ago and must say i'm really impressed.

As part of my course, I was introduced to computer programming after being required to become relatively competent with Matlab and more recently C++. I have become hooked with programming - I have not only come to realise just how interlinked software development and hardware development are, but I have also come to enjoy the logical challenge posed by attempting to write a computer program for a particular task. Although I am very much a newbie when it comes to programming, it really has taken my interest, and I now attempt to approach it as though I were doing Sudoku or playing a game of chess - i.e. as a fun, logical exercise that i can follow in my spare time.

The reason why I have become interested in hacking has as much to do with my curiosity to understand how computer systems work than anything else, and how to develop programs that are as good as they can possibly be. As a complete newbie, from what I have seen of this site, the challenges posed seem to be exactly what I need to direct my learning in this field of study, and I'm looking forward to jumping in and getting my hands dirty. Having a basic running knowledge of html has allowed me to complete the first 4 basic missions with relative ease, and so now I am looking forward to developing some rudimentary Javascript knowledge to try and understand mission 5.

Well, that's my really long intro. Hope i didn't bore you too much :D
Epsilon0_mu0
New User
New User

Post by NoobAnonKS on Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:59 am
([msg=72065]see Re: Introduce Yourself[/msg])

corbonium wrote:Also, I have no idea how to even operate linux/unix on even a basic level, so I need to figure that out at some point, was thinking of trying ubuntu. See you guys around.

Do it! Just do what I did and dual boot for a week or 2. I guarantee you'll be ready to switch completely after that. The only thing that's difficult at first is getting used to the terminal, but it looks harder than it actually is. I would suggest trying out ubuntu 12.04. Oh and welcome to HTS :)
NoobAnonKS
New User
New User

Post by Fehk on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:34 pm
([msg=72159]see Re: Introduce Yourself[/msg])

Hey , I'm 22, male, completely average guy without any real hobbies. My biggest interests are movies, series & books (especially scifi), gaming and hiking. I'm a bit of a jack of all trades but master of none. I'm nowhere near being a hacker at this time, I wouldn't even call myself a scriptkiddie. But I want to change that. I want to become proficient at setting up secure networks. I want to learn all there is to know about server infrastructure and types (SQL, Oracle, DB2). I also want to master javascript, python, COBOL '61/2002 (niche, so why not), F#, cryptography, problem solving and more. I want to be able to navigate through several coding systems with ease, but most of all I want to talk about technology, politics, (h)ac(k)tivism, ethics and any other topic that is closely related to being part of the vanguard of the interwebz.

I currently have a modest set of skills in front end web development (XHTML/HTML5, CSS3, ), some VB.net, some XML and some basic php/mysql. In terms of work and studies, I'm currently looking for work after having quit my bachelors degree in new media and communications technology due to financial issues.

I also like the combination of lube, women, weed, candles and chillout music.
Fehk
New User
New User

Post by fashizzlepop on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:02 pm
([msg=72162]see Re: Introduce Yourself[/msg])

Fehk wrote:I want to learn all there is to know about server infrastructure and types (SQL, Oracle, DB2). I also want to master javascript, python, COBOL '61/2002 (niche, so why not), F#, cryptography, problem solving and more. I want to be able to navigate through several coding systems with ease, but most of all I want to talk about technology, politics, (h)ac(k)tivism, ethics and any other topic that is closely related to being part of the vanguard of the interwebz.

Welcome, first I'd like to mention that Hacker News is a great aggregate of stories of many of those things. More so than here at HTS. There are a lot of links to database related issues, etc. There's a good ground of programming background here (I myself am a fan of Python and C/C++/C# personally but you can find those who code in your favorite). I highly suggest taking a look at some of Julian Assange's videos in his series "The World Tomorrow" as it gives some good insight into a lot of privacy issues around the world today.

Cheers.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by Fehk on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:42 pm
([msg=72164]see Re: Introduce Yourself[/msg])

Thanks a bunch!
Fehk
New User
New User

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:56 am
([msg=72222]see Re: Introduce Yourself[/msg])

Fehk wrote:I also like the combination of lube, women, weed, candles and chillout music.

lmao. Quite the array of likes. Anyways, welcome to HTS.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by Sl4ck3r90 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:57 pm
([msg=72270]see Re: Introduce Yourself[/msg])

Good afternoon,

I am 23 years old. I am studying Physics and Mathematics and I am very interested in Computer Science: compilers/compilation & programming, information security and so on. I do use GNU/Linux and have some knowledge in programming and hacking: (X)HTML/CSS, Javascript, Shellscript, C, Awk and Ruby & network. I pretend to master all this and achieve new ones. I am having fun with the missions, also. :)

Well, that's it.

[]'s!

Ps: sorry for my lousy English.
"Computers make excellent and efficient servants, but I have no wish to serve under them." - Spock, Star Trek: The Original Series: The Ultimate Computer.
Sl4ck3r90
New User
New User

Post by StayClassyFleance on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:49 pm
([msg=72275]see Re: Introduce Yourself[/msg])

I am Fleance
I make food for fat people.
I like cigarettes and whiskey.
StayClassyFleance
New User
New User

Post by madsmaks on Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:08 pm
([msg=72284]see Re: Introduce Yourself[/msg])

Hi everyone.

My main reason for joining this site is to become part of a community where everyone shares my fascination with anything and everything related to technology and computers. I've always considered myself a bit of a hacker in that I want to know how things work and like to adapt them to suit a particular situation or just for the hell of it. I wouldn't say I'm particularly great at it but still have a strong desire to learn despite being well into my 40s and have had plenty of minor successes in the past.

I first became hooked on computers at the age of 10 when I was introduced to BASIC programming on a Research Machines 380z that the school was lucky enough to own. I've owned a variety of computers since then and dabbled with quite a few languages. Jack-of-all-trades but master of none!

When I've got time, which isn't often these days, I like water sports such as kayaking, sailing and scuba diving and I still play 5-a-side soccer once a week and cycle occasionally to try and stay fit.

I'm sure I could go on and on writing but that's just a brief taster about me which hopefully won't bore the pants off anyone.

Hope to see some of you around in IRC. :)
madsmaks
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to NZone