Introduce Yourself  Topic is solved

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Newbie On Deck.

Post by Chitterlings on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:02 pm
([msg=71600]see Newbie On Deck.[/msg])

Hey everybody.

I'm new to HTS. I'm interested in going to school for web security as I've dabbled out of curiosity for years and reading books and stuff through roommates who were into it. I'm trying to get a better understanding of what direction I may want to focus on (such as wireless versus web security) and overall learn for self. I'm a script kiddie I admit, and I want to work on not being so intimidated by writing and reading code. I'd like to get into reverse engineering as I'm curious about it and see where it goes.

As a script kiddie I know how to use software other people write/develop, but not necessarily the theory and logic behind it. From what I've seen on the site, I might be able to change that. I'm a reader versus video instruction watcher so this place thus far is right up my alley. I would really like to strengthen my vocab on terms and find out what stuff means versus seeing it and knowing it as apart of a process and not understanding the process. Script Kiddie does have limitations.

I got started on this path eons ago when I got locked out of my router by my neighbor who wanted to challenge me into figuring out a way to get my router back from his control. He worked in network security and thought then I'd be a good fit. I figured it out by brute-forcing my way back and from there kept up somewhat of an avid interest. (Just want to reinerate it was my router).

I can't wait to start on the missions and I may have a question from time to time that I hope people won't jump all over me...I ask a lot of questions because I want to know but I don't ask a lot of unnecessary questions that can be found with a google search (even though I may present an argument just to match sure my understanding is correct).

Thanks for having me and I hope its a great time!

Chitter. (I know my username is LOL but I couldn't think of anything at the moment).
Chitterlings
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by limdis on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:31 pm
([msg=71601]see Re: Introduce Yourself[/msg])

Welcome to HTS. Always glad to hear from someone who takes genuine interest in this field other than simply coming to learn how to hack. I merged your post in with the other introductions. Feel free to PM any of us and ask as many questions as you need. :geek:
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by Chitterlings on Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:40 am
([msg=71605]see Re: Introduce Yourself[/msg])

I just noticed that my original post got moved so I'm just doing some housekeeping, lol.

Got really far into the basic missions and enjoying the mystery and learning of it all. Cheers!
Last edited by Chitterlings on Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chitterlings
New User
New User

Post by OneShotOneKill on Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:07 pm
([msg=71613]see New Member[/msg])

What's going on everyone? New to this site and thought I would introduce myself. I'm fairly new to most of this but looking to learn it all. Just got out of the military and don't know what I want to do. So, I'm burning some college and working with learning all this on the side. Computers are the only thing I could see myself doing but not like a normal technician. I want to learn to manipulate computers, programs, etc... and do some really cool stuff. I burned through all the basic missions and a couple of the realistic missions last night. Worked about 10 hours straight researching cmds and scripts and everything else but enjoyed every bit of it. However, I can see there is a pretty steep learning curve on all of this (So many methods, cmds and programs) so if you have any advice on what I should start studying first that would be sick. I'm very good at researching to find the information I want but a little direction would help a lot more than hopefully stumbling on the stuff I need to know. Anyways, nice to meet you all and look forward to working/learning with all you SME's out there!

--JJ

Moved to NZone. Note, we have an "Introduce Yourself" thread. Please look around the forums before posting to make sure you post in the right spot. ~fas

-- Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:28 pm --

Noted. Sorry about that... I can see I am off to a great start! =(
OneShotOneKill
New User
New User

Post by OneShotOneKill on Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:03 pm
([msg=71617]see Re: Introduce Yourself[/msg])

Round Two. Created a new thread multitasking and skipping over this one. So, I thought Id re-post in the correct spot and shorten my boring last post.

I'm 22
Computer nerd for about 6 years
Love Hunting, Fishing, Snowboarding, etc...
Work as a Weapons Technical Writer (Hate my life) 40 hours
Going to school for BSBA at the moment, switching shortly
Just got out of the Corps in May of this year
I'm a brain sucker and will leech any information your willing to teach
Here to have fun and learn the ways of the Jedi....or SME's. W/e
Very good at researching and finding information I need
Looking to learn everything and get a job doing this line of work down the road.
OneShotOneKill
New User
New User

Re: New Member

Post by weekend hacker on Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:13 pm
([msg=71623]see Re: New Member[/msg])

Welcome to HTS, I'd advice you that while doing the missions you should pick a programming language and learn it.
You'll already have figuered out that basic HTML was a requirement for the basic missions. The realistic ones rely more on php with SQL so those are good things to start with. (note: noone will ever agree on what language is the best to start with, so don't let this post or the following limit you, learn whatever you want!)
Above all, have fun. The missions are there to guide you to learn new things, but theres no real limit on what you can start off with. Pick a topic, read learn and try it out. (And as pointed out by our mod, browse the forum, theres a lot of threads on what to start with all with totally different answers :D)

Happy hacking ^^
<Yoda> if someone says something i don't like, i ban him, ban whoever defends him, and then ban the witnesses...
weekend hacker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by not_essence2 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:56 pm
([msg=71625]see Re: Introduce Yourself[/msg])

1:1 KD ratio guy- Perfect. Those missions will all break down in front of you, but of course, not without a struggle first.
Chitterlings- I remember when I first created my account here (different one). I eventually made another one because I cheated way too much on the missions. Then I made my third one (the reason why is still unclear for me). Good thing I have a bad memory for direct answers.
not_essence2
Poster
Poster

Post by Chitterlings on Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:58 am
([msg=71626]see Re: Introduce Yourself[/msg])

I'm thinking about doing that in the future notessence, almost like a quiz type of thing.

I think what I'm learning and getting out of the basic missions is assessing what I know, kinda know of, and didn't know at all and putting it all together. Granted, GOOGLE IS MY FRIEND. I've just been piecing it all together and trying to have more of a smooth workflow like if this was a semester in college, even though I think I'm learning and engaging more here than I ever would get out of a curriculum just because I'm working at my own pace and not of a timed clock. I'm enjoying it all thus far.
Chitterlings
New User
New User

Post by not_essence2 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:26 pm
([msg=71629]see Re: Introduce Yourself[/msg])

Google is your friend. But it's a friend that stores any information you give to it (search history). Other search engines have released their search history data, and people could be traced and their searches laid out for the public to see. So far, Google is keeping its promise, but...
not_essence2
Poster
Poster

Post by Jive01 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:50 am
([msg=71655]see Re: Introduce Yourself[/msg])

Hello Everyone,
I have been practicing on basic missions and observing the forums. I am excited in learning php.
Nice to meet everyone.
Jive01
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to NZone