beginner sandbox

General technological topics without their own forum go here

beginner sandbox

Post by EcceGratum on Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:10 pm
([msg=71475]see beginner sandbox[/msg])

Hi. Is there any abandoned but real sites for beginners for "practice"? One that is not illegal.
I did "moral high ground practice" on some nazi stuff but wouldn't want to get brought before court one day. What's more, I couldn't get any results. I'm a novice (I'm at realistic 8) so I'd be happy with something that doesn't require some superb skills. Thanks!
EcceGratum
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: beginner sandbox

Post by centip3de on Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:16 pm
([msg=71477]see Re: beginner sandbox[/msg])

EcceGratum wrote:Hi. Is there any abandoned but real sites for beginners for "practice"? One that is not illegal.
I did "moral high ground practice" on some nazi stuff but wouldn't want to get brought before court one day. What's more, I couldn't get any results. I'm a novice (I'm at realistic 8) so I'd be happy with something that doesn't require some superb skills. Thanks!

There's plenty of abandoned sites out there, but none that would be legal to hack. If you want to hack an actual site, even if it is abandoned, it's still illegal. However, the chances of you getting caught diminish quite a bit...
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:08 pm
([msg=71486]see Re: beginner sandbox[/msg])

Why don't you just create your own? Get some cheapo dell from like 8 years ago and turn it into a server. Then you can just create your own sites and break into them at will without having to worry about getting in trouble.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by caracarn001 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:30 pm
([msg=71487]see Re: beginner sandbox[/msg])

An other cheap and legal method is setting up some virtualisation with vmware, virtualbox or stuff like that. You don't even need to buy new hardware that way.

Also setting up your own server (being physical or virtual) you learn how things work from an administrator point of view too, sorta.
caracarn001
New User
New User

Post by WallShadow on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:31 pm
([msg=71488]see Re: beginner sandbox[/msg])

LoGiCaL__ wrote:Why don't you just create your own? Get some cheapo dell from like 8 years ago and turn it into a server. Then you can just create your own sites and break into them at will without having to worry about getting in trouble.

Speaking of cheapo dells, anyone know a simple place to get them? I've been searching for the last month and found some cool stuff, but anyone know a safe place to get old computers for around 50$?
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by EcceGratum on Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:31 am
([msg=71498]see Re: beginner sandbox[/msg])

Nice ideas, thanx a lot to u all!
EcceGratum
New User
New User

Post by limdis on Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:04 pm
([msg=71518]see Re: beginner sandbox[/msg])

WallShadow wrote:Speaking of cheapo dells, anyone know a simple place to get them? I've been searching for the last month and found some cool stuff, but anyone know a safe place to get old computers for around 50$?

/Firing the centip3de signal
Raspberry Pi?
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by anarchy420x on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:07 am
([msg=71525]see Re: beginner sandbox[/msg])

Pawn shop; or if your just looking to build a quick server get the essentual parts online. You can pick up cheap hardware at new egg
A broken clock is right twice a day, however, I am neither up that early nor up that late...
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Post by fashizzlepop on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:51 pm
([msg=71527]see Re: beginner sandbox[/msg])

I'd set up a VM with WebGoat. That's probably the best sandbox for you.

As for cheap hardware, look around at pawn shops, goodwill, or a local computer recycling shop. Also craigslist. Something like OpenShift would work for you as well.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by WallShadow on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:58 pm
([msg=71529]see Re: beginner sandbox[/msg])

Thanks everyone, I'll look into those!
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to General