Request: games, apps and desktop environment for tiny kids

Random things go here

Re: Request: games, apps and desktop environment for tiny kids

Post by weekend hacker on Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:59 am
([msg=71453]see Re: Request: games, apps and desktop environment for tiny kids[/msg])

patchw0rkm0mmy wrote:edubuntu is designed for children and comes preloaded with all the software for kids.

That looks interesting but the hardware I have planned for this is very weak and won't run ubuntu based things. Maybe I could get it working but unless if I want to make her learn the virtue of patience its very impractical(and will upset me whenever I need to tweak it for her). This is why I'm going with arch linux, arch will run on terribly old hardware and since you need to setup everything yourself I can make it super lightweight.
<Yoda> if someone says something i don't like, i ban him, ban whoever defends him, and then ban the witnesses...
weekend hacker
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by centip3de on Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:22 pm
([msg=71462]see Re: Request: games, apps and desktop environment for tiny kids[/msg])

weekend hacker wrote:That looks interesting but the hardware I have planned for this is very weak and won't run ubuntu based things. Maybe I could get it working but unless if I want to make her learn the virtue of patience its very impractical(and will upset me whenever I need to tweak it for her). This is why I'm going with arch linux, arch will run on terribly old hardware and since you need to setup everything yourself I can make it super lightweight.

You could just remove Unity, or whatever default desktop it has, and throw on LXDE. Should run just fine then.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by weekend hacker on Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:01 pm
([msg=71463]see Re: Request: games, apps and desktop environment for tiny kids[/msg])

centip3de wrote:You could just remove Unity, or whatever default desktop it has, and throw on LXDE. Should run just fine then.

Its not just the bloatware, I never even managed to get ubuntu (or others) installed on that machine. Its really really old.. My cellphone is about 3-4 times as powerfull. My cellphone is 3 years old. Arch however, works like a champ and doesn't complain about anything. I <3 arch
<Yoda> if someone says something i don't like, i ban him, ban whoever defends him, and then ban the witnesses...
weekend hacker
Administrator
Administrator

Previous

Return to Off-Topic