Laptop suitable for beginner - intermediate level "Hacking"

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

Laptop suitable for beginner - intermediate level "Hacking"

Post by danhack on Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:32 pm
([msg=71107]see Laptop suitable for beginner - intermediate level "Hacking"[/msg])

Hey all, I am looking to purchase a new laptop that will be suitable for my skill level, which is very much beginner. I am currently at the level where I can complete the first few basic missions, however I am keen to expand my knowledge and am a very quick learner. I currently have a 5 year old dell inspiron laptop that has a very low spec. compared to all modern laptops; including just 1GB of RAM and Intel Celeron. As a result it is very slow at the most simple of tasks. I should mention also that I have an Apple Mac with top of the range spec.so I am aware of the benefits, only I want to use this new laptop specifically for hacking. I have a good knowledge of computing in general and would feel very confident in spending my budget of £500 (British sterling) on a very capable laptop, however, I am calling upon your knowledge as to whether a specific make or processor etc. might be preferable to a wannabe hacker?
Thanks in Advance, Dan
danhack
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Laptop suitable for beginner - intermediate level "Hacking"

Post by 0phidian on Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:54 pm
([msg=71108]see Re: Laptop suitable for beginner - intermediate level "Hacking"[/msg])

As far as hacking the hardware specs dont really matter as long as it runs. It would be nice to have a relativaly fast and responsive machine though. Unless you want to play games you dont need anything too powerful. Something with a dual or quad core processor and 4GB of ram should be sufficient. As far as brands I like ASUS, but it doesnt really matter. Your probably best off buying a computer online, espeacially with the whole cyber monday coming up. I got my laptop from newegg.
0phidian
Poster
Poster

Post by danhack on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:16 am
([msg=71126]see Re: Laptop suitable for beginner - intermediate level "Hacking"[/msg])

Okay that sounds like good advice, what about software after I have bought the computer? Is there anything it would be worth buying to increase the hacking capabilities?
danhack
New User
New User

Post by Shade_of_Gray on Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:37 am
([msg=71134]see Re: Laptop suitable for beginner - intermediate level "Hacking"[/msg])

danhack wrote:Okay that sounds like good advice, what about software after I have bought the computer? Is there anything it would be worth buying to increase the hacking capabilities?

Start out with Firefox and Firebug (both free). As you learn more about hacking, I'm sure you'll run into more programs you'll find useful.
Shade_of_Gray
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by danhack on Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:48 am
([msg=71136]see Re: Laptop suitable for beginner - intermediate level "Hacking"[/msg])

okay, so with any half dcent laptop and Firefox and Firebug I will be able to do anything that a hacker at my beginner (and eventually an intermediate level) could ever want to do, is that right? there is definitely nothing else i could benefit from?
danhack
New User
New User

Post by Shade_of_Gray on Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:59 am
([msg=71137]see Re: Laptop suitable for beginner - intermediate level "Hacking"[/msg])

danhack wrote:okay, so with any half dcent laptop and Firefox and Firebug I will be able to do anything that a hacker at my beginner (and eventually an intermediate level) could ever want to do, is that right? there is definitely nothing else i could benefit from?

You'll be able to get started at least. As you learn about different techniques, you'll add tools to your toolbox. That's part of the learning process. You have to build your tool collection yourself as you learn, so you know what you have and you know how to use it.
Shade_of_Gray
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by danhack on Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:40 pm
([msg=71141]see Re: Laptop suitable for beginner - intermediate level "Hacking"[/msg])

Okay thanks
danhack
New User
New User

Post by limdis on Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:47 pm
([msg=71195]see Re: Laptop suitable for beginner - intermediate level "Hacking"[/msg])

I think you should start with the missions my good man. If you are as green as you sound. Get a feel for things before you start shelling out cash. You might find that hacking is not your thing. Good luck to you 8-)
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Return to Hardware