Why java

Discuss how to write good code, break bad code, your current pet projects, or the best way to approach novel problems

Why java

Post by 0phidian on Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:06 pm
([msg=70371]see Why java[/msg])

Why does almost every CS program in the world teach exclusively with java. They have electives where you can learn the basics of other languages but the classes are not very in depth. I understand that it's good to focus on one language and that after learning one you can easily pickup more languages, but why is there no choice to study CS using any other language? And who decided java was the best language to learn CS with? I personally like C++ much better, but regardless of my preferences I feel like I should have more choices.

I already know several languages better than I do java, just from books and online resources so I dont feel like I'm missing out to much. Is java what is used in the majority of jobs, and if so what makes it more prevelant than any other language?
0phidian
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Why java

Post by weekend hacker on Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:04 pm
([msg=70374]see Re: Why java[/msg])

I think the reasoning behind it is that it forces students to learn OO programming and that it'll work on every platform(win, mac, linux, phones, set top boxes, tv's, etc) and students should be able to apply the same logic to other languages(and most of the syntax too). Some colleges give almost an equal amount of c# as they do java though.
Its also quite popular in the industry for some reason, they want lots of java or c# programmers(mostly java because it can be used on most places), which makes the schools create more java and c# programmers, which makes the companies want more java and c# programmers, which makes the schools create more java and c# programmers, which makes the..... you get the picture.
Its the same reasons why schools used to use windows for everything, because they had to teach kids something they would end up using in the real world. And in turn, companies stick with windows, because they need something their employees can use. Only now is this starting to change, probably because its starting to look similar enough and because kids should already know how to use a windows machine.

Knowing c++ is going to give you an edge over the rest of the students though, I'd say definitely keep up those skills too. But yeah computer science can be disappointing if you hope to learn all kinds of fun low level things or more languages, you're on your own there.

And maybe.. be glad its not visual basic anymore.
<Yoda> if someone says something i don't like, i ban him, ban whoever defends him, and then ban the witnesses...
weekend hacker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by WallShadow on Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:13 pm
([msg=70375]see Re: Why java[/msg])

There are two possible answers to this:

1. (the more reasonable one) Java is much easier to learn and has a large amount of things to make it easier for new people to work with it (i.e. Garbage collection, explicit errors when a class doesn't override or tries or declares but doesn't define a method, and just the overall number of elements). It is also multi-platform, so teachers don't have to worry about forcing a certain platform for the students to work with. Also, perhaps the trends are showing that Java is becoming a more popular language than C/C++?

2. (the more probable one) money.

I can totally understand you 'cause I had to go through the same thing when I started both my programming I & II and later CS. What's more sad is that Java is now my best and most favorite language (Even more sad is that out of all the Ext Basic, #14 is one of the few that I tried and couldn't figure out).

- WallShadow <3
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by not_essence2 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:18 pm
([msg=70482]see Re: Why java[/msg])

Also, Java is seen a lot more these days, as it is a newer (and supposed to be built upon C languages and improved) language and a lot more people decide to use it (I always see those Java updates on my computer), it's used in a lot more sites, etc. You can't stop the flow of everyone in the world, but of course, if you're a clever one, you figure out how to use it to your advantage, and, in the process, begin to like the flow as it benefits you (like the previous post, one way is to learn C++ and "gain an edge").
not_essence2
Poster
Poster

Post by NewVoxel on Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:56 pm
([msg=71092]see Re: Why java[/msg])

I envy you. I just finished my second year of Software Engineering and I've mainly been forced to work with c#. I think Java is an awesome first language to teach. It covers almost everything in higher level programming, multi-platform so everyone can use it, runs pretty fast these days as well. I'd love to be in your course because I'm all about the android applications which are made by Java, but nope... Stuck with c# and its platform dependingnesserderp...
"Don't include a single line in your code which you could not explain to your grandmother in a matter of two minutes."

And of course... assume your grandmother is not Ada Lovelace.

http://www.newvoxel.com/
NewVoxel
New User
New User

Post by not_essence2 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:37 pm
([msg=71103]see Re: Why java[/msg])

Don't know about that. Either one has its advantages and disadvantages.
not_essence2
Poster
Poster

Return to Programming