Looking for free software to hide my IP

Data that travels over the air and how to protect (or decipher) it

Looking for free software to hide my IP

Post by shdwcat on Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:33 pm
([msg=70869]see Looking for free software to hide my IP[/msg])

Does anyone know of some software that is free that can hide my IP, maybe a downloadable proxie. to where if someone trys to look up my IP address it might show I am in another country or another state? I have tried Easy-Hide-IP but it was a trial. looking for some free software. Any help? Thx

ShdwCat
shdwcat
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Looking for free software to hide my IP

Post by limdis on Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:34 pm
([msg=70870]see Re: Looking for free software to hide my IP[/msg])

I'll be the first to say it lol
Have you tried TOR?
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by not_essence2 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:37 pm
([msg=70871]see Re: Looking for free software to hide my IP[/msg])

TOR, TOR, TOR.
Or just write your own code. :D
not_essence2
Poster
Poster

Post by shdwcat on Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:39 pm
([msg=70872]see Re: Looking for free software to hide my IP[/msg])

No i have not, My cousin has asked me the same thing awhile back and to be honest I completely forgot all about it. I will have to DL it and give it a try. Any others in case I dont like that one?

-- Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:41 pm --

I am in the learning stages of C++ so I am not sure how to write a code for that :) But it will give my something to look up and something to learn.
shdwcat
New User
New User

Post by not_essence2 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:43 pm
([msg=70874]see Re: Looking for free software to hide my IP[/msg])

shdwcat- Just joking, I'm still a beginner with C++ myself. But if I were to take a wild guess, it'd involve redirecting everything from port 80 to... a VPN? Honeynet? Something other than the main drive, with a different IP (or a 12.0.0.7 type for fun)
not_essence2
Poster
Poster

Post by shdwcat on Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:46 pm
([msg=70875]see Re: Looking for free software to hide my IP[/msg])

Thats why I was saying lol it will give me something else to look up and try to learn once I get the hang of C++ a little more.

-- Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:55 pm --

so to hipe my IP with Tor I have to use the Tor browse? It seems that when I use firefox my IP still shows my area.
shdwcat
New User
New User

Post by limdis on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:07 pm
([msg=70882]see Re: Looking for free software to hide my IP[/msg])

shdwcat wrote:so to hipe my IP with Tor I have to use the Tor browse? It seems that when I use firefox my IP still shows my area.

https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-doc-web
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by Hadra85 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:10 pm
([msg=70885]see Re: Looking for free software to hide my IP[/msg])

also interested in this.

im only about a week or two into researching stuff like this.
So far i've found a VPN (Hotspot Shield - which supposedly doesn't keep logs) and has a free; ad supported download.) and got a program called Real Hide IP.

TOR doesn't always work for me. and i feel like it only hiding my browser activity (can someone clarify?)
the VPN slows me down sometimes. and some websites even reject the anon IP it generates for you. But at least its private. Sometimes using them in conjunction causes the internet to just plain not work - yet i've seen a certain hacking group say to use VPN's and Proxies in conjunction for layers of protection.

I also like to run PeerBlock if im feeling extra paranoid about my security.

Im curious as to how strong this all is. if someone was tenacious enough, could they sift thru all your VPN's, Proxies and blockers to eventually find your real IP? A question from a true newbie...

Let me know what you find.
and maybe someone else can shed some light on this.
"What is locked - can be opened.
What is hidden - can be found.
What is yours - can be mine."
Hadra85
New User
New User

Post by edone automaton on Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:39 am
([msg=70890]see Re: Looking for free software to hide my IP[/msg])

Hadra85 wrote:All the stuff that Hadra said

I find TOR virtually un-useable at times but it depends on how hidden you need to be. If you just want to stream some content that isn't available in your country or whatever, then a proxy is likely enough.

But yeah,TOR does need to be properly configured to get optimum results, there are plenty of details of this in the official documentation. Also, there was an article written here a while back which dealt with privacy/ anonymity which may be of help to you

http://www.hackthissite.org/articles/read/1099
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
-Bruce Lee
edone automaton
Poster
Poster

Post by weekend hacker on Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:27 pm
([msg=70973]see Re: Looking for free software to hide my IP[/msg])

First off, I think its worth mentioning that no software will use your proxy/tor unless you tell it to. There will usually be some setting where you can fill in the proxy details. Sometimes you can set system wide settings, but I find those don't actually work all the time.. so be careful. If you just want to browse secure, using the tor bundle works great, it'll include firefox and is missing all those annoying plugins that might leak your info.

You could setup tor as a transparent proxy so all traffic gets routed through tor, in this case your applications aren't even aware they are being proxied. https://trac.torproject.org/projects/to ... arentProxy has some instructions but they're linux/BSD only but I'm sure you can find a way to get it to work on windows.
Other then that you could setup a middlebox, imagine it like your router doing all the tor stuff for you (infact with some tweaks and depending on the type and brand of your router, it can do exactly that)

But remember, tor is slow.. really really really slow. Its not meant for big files and so you shouldn't use it for downloading.
Not just because it'll be slow, but because you're wasting valuable resources and kind of ruining it for the rest of us(don't be a dick). So if you want to download stuff or torrent, use one of the many many VPN providers out there. But remember, although a lot of them claim not to keep logs, some of them do. So be sure to checkout which is right for you.

Other then all that, please remember that you are not the only person using these services and so a lot (if not all) have been abused at some point. As a result, a lot of places will not allow or limit users using a proxy.
For instance, you cannot use tor, any known proxy, or any host linked to abuse on HTS irc.
We don't share your ip with others(and don't allow illegal activity) so you are safe to connect to us without a proxy.
There is far too much abuse if we allow them, people would be unbannable, flooding, spamming etc etc.
<Yoda> if someone says something i don't like, i ban him, ban whoever defends him, and then ban the witnesses...
weekend hacker
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Networking