Corrupt Flash Drive

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

Corrupt Flash Drive

Post by WallShadow on Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:30 pm
([msg=69994]see Corrupt Flash Drive[/msg])

Good afternoon everyone,

I was recently playing around with java memory leaks and by a cruel turn of events it somehow managed to corrupt an entire flash-drive. It's a SanDisk 8GB flash-drive, I've tried formating with any possible options under both FAT formatting and FAT32 formatting. I've even tried low-level formatting with the HDDLLF software. It seems to stop at about 90% formatting every single time. I was wondering if anyone knew any ways to fix this, or if it can't be fixed, what spare parts can be salvaged from it?

-WallShadow <3
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Corrupt Flash Drive

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:28 am
([msg=70000]see Re: Corrupt Flash Drive[/msg])

Have you tried chkdsk /r ?
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by WallShadow on Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:34 am
([msg=70003]see Re: Corrupt Flash Drive[/msg])

chkdsk says "the type of file system is RAW" "chkdsk is not availible for RAW drives". I have a feeling I should have tried this before I tried formatting it a dozen times. darn.
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by shdwcat on Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:20 am
([msg=70816]see Re: Corrupt Flash Drive[/msg])

I know this is a bit late and you already got it fixed but have you tried http://www.partitionwizard.com/ I used to use this and never had any problems. The home addition is free to use.

Ok just wondering how did you get it fix? Its for my future info I might need someday lol
shdwcat
New User
New User

Post by WallShadow on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:39 pm
([msg=70826]see Re: Corrupt Flash Drive[/msg])

Actually, I never did fix it, I just gave up on it and it laid on my desk for a month until just recently, another one of my flash drives corrupted as well. I tried chkdsk /r immediately, but it failed to work. I got to digging again and found testdisk (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk), it's a freeware tool currently in beta. It is designed for all sorts of stuff with flash-drives and partitions. I was able to recover all of my files and then rewrite the device boot sector on both flash-drives, then simply reformatted it with the Windows format command. Worked like a charm.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

- WallShadow <3
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Hardware