Exploits

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Exploits

Post by not_essence2 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:18 am
([msg=70735]see Exploits[/msg])

Just another bout of the illness we we all are familiar with, "curiosity".
How did HTS choose the exploits it wants the users to learn about in the missions? Did it take a few common exploits, and mix them in with some more rare exploits? Did it take a list of them? Mix in some 0 day attacks (of course, that would be back in the early days of the Internet) as well? Was it the creator's own expertise in exploits?
Also, will the missions ever be updated with new vulnerabilities to be taught?
not_essence2
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Exploits

Post by weekend hacker on Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:51 pm
([msg=70745]see Re: Exploits[/msg])

All of the above. Some ware based on real hacks. Some are made up to facilitate common exploits. Some ware made hard with what at the time was fairly unknown. Some started off as a list of real exploits(ever notice that the irc ones aren't sequential? that is because 2 of them on my list ware too tricky for me to actually implement)
There will in the future be new stuff, but considering the nature of the site its often difficult to find good staff to write them.(people are unpayed, easily distracted and lazy)
Users are of course welcome to create missions themselves. After running a beta of it on the forum it could be included in the rest of the site.
There are some ideas floating around, but turning them into reality isn't always easy.

If anyone here is sufficiently good at ipfw/pf settings (nat, reverse nat, setting+cleanup scripts, on a multiple ip setup) feel free to PM me if you want to be put to work ;)
<Yoda> if someone says something i don't like, i ban him, ban whoever defends him, and then ban the witnesses...
weekend hacker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by not_essence2 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:41 pm
([msg=70749]see Re: Exploits[/msg])

Thanks for the thorough answer.
Hmm, I now feel like poking around various SQL, HTML, PHP, etc. related tutorials to see if I can find a 0-day attack...
(It's probably not going to happen, but I'll still learn some languages)
not_essence2
Poster
Poster

Post by limdis on Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:56 pm
([msg=70767]see Re: Exploits[/msg])

not_essence2 wrote:Thanks for the thorough answer.<br>Hmm, I now feel like poking around various SQL, HTML, PHP, etc. related tutorials to see if I can find a 0-day attack...<br>(It's probably not going to happen, but I'll still learn some languages)

do it
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by not_essence2 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:50 pm
([msg=70784]see Re: Exploits[/msg])

:D Zero chance that I wouldn't.
not_essence2
Poster
Poster