Anybody else have problems with Kaspersky?

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Re: Anybody else have problems with Kaspersky?

Post by hellow533 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:20 pm
([msg=70505]see Re: Anybody else have problems with Kaspersky?[/msg])

centip3de wrote:
hellow533 wrote:I had to uninstall it and reinstall Pc tools. My windows 7 system got jacked the hell up after switching to kaspersky, and things went back to normal after using pc tools again and doing a restore to a few days ago.

Is it possible that you:

Installed the wrong version?
Installed a Trojan instead of the actual anti-virus?
Uninstalled important system files in the process of uninstalling PC tools?
Got a virus when transitioning to Kaspersky?
Did PC tools flip a bitch randomly and go crazy, and that's why you had to reinstall it?

Well here's the thing, I became a partner with Kaspersky and wanted to give it a shot. I uninstalled PCTools (which never gave me problems uninstalling/reinstalling before) and installed Kaspersky. The second I installed Kaspersky from the website's partner page, a little stamp of chaos popped up on my desktop. This version of windows it not genuine. Alright. I uninstall Kaspersky, do a restore, problem solved. I then reinstall PCTools and decide to just keep it. It was Kaspersky internet security 2012. What might have happened is a trojan somehwere quarantined on my computer re-activated, and Kaspersky was not able to handle it. I also did not like Kaspersky options, and noticed from other websites it would not pick up a couple specific trojans I had major problems in the past with (not on my computer of course).

Kaspersky is also very slow to update, which is not something I like. I could do, for example, a 4 MB database update for PCTools in a few seconds. It would take Kaspersky longer just to see if there are any updates, and it would download them at less than 50KB/second sometimes.

I also noticed Kaspersky's scan options had less options, was harder to use and was less user friendly, had a weaker less adjustable firewall, didn't have its own password protection (that I could find) for shutting down or going in to the protection settings, and while I usually don't find this a problem since I work on computers hourly, it had a ridiculously longer scan time.

@Mshread, I'm used to doing it the fast and easy way every time. Get out, go to next client. I have a quota to fill twice a week.
“Teach me how to hack!”
"What, like, with an axe?"
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by centip3de on Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:17 pm
([msg=70516]see Re: Anybody else have problems with Kaspersky?[/msg])

hellow533 wrote:Well here's the thing, I became a partner with Kaspersky and wanted to give it a shot. I uninstalled PCTools (which never gave me problems uninstalling/reinstalling before) and installed Kaspersky. The second I installed Kaspersky from the website's partner page, a little stamp of chaos popped up on my desktop. This version of windows it not genuine. Alright. I uninstall Kaspersky, do a restore, problem solved. I then reinstall PCTools and decide to just keep it. It was Kaspersky internet security 2012. What might have happened is a trojan somehwere quarantined on my computer re-activated, and Kaspersky was not able to handle it. I also did not like Kaspersky options, and noticed from other websites it would not pick up a couple specific trojans I had major problems in the past with (not on my computer of course).

Kaspersky is also very slow to update, which is not something I like. I could do, for example, a 4 MB database update for PCTools in a few seconds. It would take Kaspersky longer just to see if there are any updates, and it would download them at less than 50KB/second sometimes.

I also noticed Kaspersky's scan options had less options, was harder to use and was less user friendly, had a weaker less adjustable firewall, didn't have its own password protection (that I could find) for shutting down or going in to the protection settings, and while I usually don't find this a problem since I work on computers hourly, it had a ridiculously longer scan time.

@Mshread, I'm used to doing it the fast and easy way every time. Get out, go to next client. I have a quota to fill twice a week.

If I were you, I'd install a secondary antivirus, like, SuperAntiSpyware, and run a few scans to see if there is a dormant virus on your system, or anything else. If there isn't, I'd try to install Kaspersky again, and see if it was just a fluke. If it still fucks up, chalk it up to bad coding. If it doesn't, chalk it up to a fluke.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by hellow533 on Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:52 pm
([msg=70518]see Re: Anybody else have problems with Kaspersky?[/msg])

centip3de wrote:If I were you, I'd install a secondary antivirus, like, SuperAntiSpyware, and run a few scans to see if there is a dormant virus on your system, or anything else. If there isn't, I'd try to install Kaspersky again, and see if it was just a fluke. If it still fucks up, chalk it up to bad coding. If it doesn't, chalk it up to a fluke.

I already did the safety.live.com trick I use to make sure there are no viruses for free on client's computers. I also tried with Vipre antivirus, and that didn't show any problems/viruses either. I'm not willing to bother more with Kaspersky, I only wanted to try it out anyways.
“Teach me how to hack!”
"What, like, with an axe?"
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to General