Anybody else have problems with Kaspersky?

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Re: Anybody else have problems with Kaspersky?

Post by hellow533 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:20 pm
([msg=70505]see Re: Anybody else have problems with Kaspersky?[/msg])

centip3de wrote:
hellow533 wrote:I had to uninstall it and reinstall Pc tools. My windows 7 system got jacked the hell up after switching to kaspersky, and things went back to normal after using pc tools again and doing a restore to a few days ago.

Is it possible that you:

Installed the wrong version?
Installed a Trojan instead of the actual anti-virus?
Uninstalled important system files in the process of uninstalling PC tools?
Got a virus when transitioning to Kaspersky?
Did PC tools flip a bitch randomly and go crazy, and that's why you had to reinstall it?

Well here's the thing, I became a partner with Kaspersky and wanted to give it a shot. I uninstalled PCTools (which never gave me problems uninstalling/reinstalling before) and installed Kaspersky. The second I installed Kaspersky from the website's partner page, a little stamp of chaos popped up on my desktop. This version of windows it not genuine. Alright. I uninstall Kaspersky, do a restore, problem solved. I then reinstall PCTools and decide to just keep it. It was Kaspersky internet security 2012. What might have happened is a trojan somehwere quarantined on my computer re-activated, and Kaspersky was not able to handle it. I also did not like Kaspersky options, and noticed from other websites it would not pick up a couple specific trojans I had major problems in the past with (not on my computer of course).

Kaspersky is also very slow to update, which is not something I like. I could do, for example, a 4 MB database update for PCTools in a few seconds. It would take Kaspersky longer just to see if there are any updates, and it would download them at less than 50KB/second sometimes.

I also noticed Kaspersky's scan options had less options, was harder to use and was less user friendly, had a weaker less adjustable firewall, didn't have its own password protection (that I could find) for shutting down or going in to the protection settings, and while I usually don't find this a problem since I work on computers hourly, it had a ridiculously longer scan time.

@Mshread, I'm used to doing it the fast and easy way every time. Get out, go to next client. I have a quota to fill twice a week.
“True hacking is like skydiving, you want to make sure you have arms, because nobody’s going to be there to pull the chute for you.”
hellow533
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by centip3de on Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:17 pm
([msg=70516]see Re: Anybody else have problems with Kaspersky?[/msg])

hellow533 wrote:Well here's the thing, I became a partner with Kaspersky and wanted to give it a shot. I uninstalled PCTools (which never gave me problems uninstalling/reinstalling before) and installed Kaspersky. The second I installed Kaspersky from the website's partner page, a little stamp of chaos popped up on my desktop. This version of windows it not genuine. Alright. I uninstall Kaspersky, do a restore, problem solved. I then reinstall PCTools and decide to just keep it. It was Kaspersky internet security 2012. What might have happened is a trojan somehwere quarantined on my computer re-activated, and Kaspersky was not able to handle it. I also did not like Kaspersky options, and noticed from other websites it would not pick up a couple specific trojans I had major problems in the past with (not on my computer of course).

Kaspersky is also very slow to update, which is not something I like. I could do, for example, a 4 MB database update for PCTools in a few seconds. It would take Kaspersky longer just to see if there are any updates, and it would download them at less than 50KB/second sometimes.

I also noticed Kaspersky's scan options had less options, was harder to use and was less user friendly, had a weaker less adjustable firewall, didn't have its own password protection (that I could find) for shutting down or going in to the protection settings, and while I usually don't find this a problem since I work on computers hourly, it had a ridiculously longer scan time.

@Mshread, I'm used to doing it the fast and easy way every time. Get out, go to next client. I have a quota to fill twice a week.

If I were you, I'd install a secondary antivirus, like, SuperAntiSpyware, and run a few scans to see if there is a dormant virus on your system, or anything else. If there isn't, I'd try to install Kaspersky again, and see if it was just a fluke. If it still fucks up, chalk it up to bad coding. If it doesn't, chalk it up to a fluke.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by hellow533 on Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:52 pm
([msg=70518]see Re: Anybody else have problems with Kaspersky?[/msg])

centip3de wrote:If I were you, I'd install a secondary antivirus, like, SuperAntiSpyware, and run a few scans to see if there is a dormant virus on your system, or anything else. If there isn't, I'd try to install Kaspersky again, and see if it was just a fluke. If it still fucks up, chalk it up to bad coding. If it doesn't, chalk it up to a fluke.

I already did the safety.live.com trick I use to make sure there are no viruses for free on client's computers. I also tried with Vipre antivirus, and that didn't show any problems/viruses either. I'm not willing to bother more with Kaspersky, I only wanted to try it out anyways.
“True hacking is like skydiving, you want to make sure you have arms, because nobody’s going to be there to pull the chute for you.”
hellow533
Poster
Poster

Previous

Return to General