What best language should I learn first before hacking?

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

What best language should I learn first before hacking?

Post by ghilllie on Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:41 am
([msg=69509]see What best language should I learn first before hacking?[/msg])

Hi guys I am totally new at everything but I wanna be a White Hacker... Any suggestion as per what the title of this post says?
ghilllie
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: What best language should I learn first before hacking?

Post by Springynull on Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:58 am
([msg=69510]see Re: What best language should I learn first before hacking?[/msg])

Well what i first learned was JavaScript, but i would recommend learning HTML first. HTML is a language used to write websites. You should also look into JavaScript as well. Here is a link to some good tutorials
HTML: http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp
JavaScript: http://www.w3schools.com/js/default.asp
Springy has sprung into the chat!
Springynull
New User
New User

Post by limdis on Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:57 am
([msg=69512]see Re: What best language should I learn first before hacking?[/msg])

White Hat Hacker*

I'm going to give an unorthodox answer to this question because it has been asked a lot in the past. In my personal opinion I don't think jumping right into a language is the right way to go for getting into the hacking scene, if that is your goal. If you already have a background in a language and get into hacking that's different, but as for square one brand new still have your cherry I feel like that without proper guidance you will either get entirely overwhelmed or disinterested. I say, you go in reverse. Research techniques/hacks that have been done and find out which flavor you like the best then back into the languages.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by Springynull on Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:16 pm
([msg=69514]see Re: What best language should I learn first before hacking?[/msg])

Just to add to what i said before. I just wanted to let you know that White Hat hackers don't really exist in my mind nor d Ethical hackers. It is more of a marketing term for people to Strut their stuff at conventions for these so called white hats. I myself don't give a shit if you want to be a White hat hacker. Good for you! :)

Springy has sprung into the chat!
Springynull
New User
New User

Post by centip3de on Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:01 pm
([msg=69516]see Re: What best language should I learn first before hacking?[/msg])

limdis wrote:White Hat Hacker*

I'm going to give an unorthodox answer to this question because it has been asked a lot in the past. In my personal opinion I don't think jumping right into a language is the right way to go for getting into the hacking scene, if that is your goal. If you already have a background in a language and get into hacking that's different, but as for square one brand new still have your cherry I feel like that without proper guidance you will either get entirely overwhelmed or disinterested. I say, you go in reverse. Research techniques/hacks that have been done and find out which flavor you like the best then back into the languages.

Eh? It's really difficult to understand simple exploits, like an SQL injection, a null-byte vuln, an off-by-one vuln, or even just a buffer overflow without basic programming knowledge. I'm still voting for learning a language first, it makes learning everything else easier.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:24 am
([msg=69531]see Re: What best language should I learn first before hacking?[/msg])

I'm going to have to say learn C++, perl. Maybe even before that if you're not already, first thing you should do is familiarize yourself with a Linux distro. You can easily pick up on html so that really shouldn't be a concern just do it on your spare time. You might even find you like that and stick with it. The main point is, find something you like and stick with it, don't get overwhelmed and have patience.

ghillle wrote:Hi guys I am totally new at everything but I wanna be a White Hacker...

Ah, come on man, why you gotta be racist?
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by Nemo_Sum on Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:38 pm
([msg=70492]see Re: What best language should I learn first before hacking?[/msg])

HTML is probably the most obvious choice, and I don't think you'll find a person on here who wouldn't advise learning some HTML. But I think Java is also a good language to start with. In my opinion, you're going to turn yourself off to programming pretty quickly if you try to learn something like C++ right off the bat. But Java can give you some good object oriented experience without being overwhelming for a beginner. Python's a fun language, and it's really flexible and fairly easy to learn. But in my experience, it's not the most useful language for hacking. Maybe check it out sometime, but I wouldn't say it's the most important to learn.
Nemo_Sum
New User
New User

Post by pretentious on Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:31 am
([msg=70496]see Re: What best language should I learn first before hacking?[/msg])

centip3de wrote:
limdis wrote:White Hat Hacker*

Eh? It's really difficult to understand simple exploits, like an SQL injection, a null-byte vuln, an off-by-one vuln, or even just a buffer overflow without basic programming knowledge. I'm still voting for learning a language first, it makes learning everything else easier.

I actually kinda agree with limdis. I'm recon i could have a red hot go at explaining to a newbie, the logic behind basic sql injection like the ' or 1=1 exploit, and it would give the newbie insentive to learn sql if he found it interesting. I recon, get the newbie into a hacker mindset with some cool stories and bright colours and then maybe as he's learning to program, he might think "what if i print "hello world\b\b\b\b\b\b"
Also just adding a vote to python because of it's interactive interpriter. I think if i had to learn how to program again, i'd have a lot of fun running loops and stuff without having to compile it and throwing around public static and argv and other crap without knowing what it means.
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Post by hellow533 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:40 am
([msg=70497]see Re: What best language should I learn first before hacking?[/msg])

The 3 I first started learning were PHP, HTML, and Javascript. I suggest you look in to those first.
“Teach me how to hack!”
"What, like, with an axe?"
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Post by centip3de on Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:34 pm
([msg=70499]see Re: What best language should I learn first before hacking?[/msg])

pretentious wrote:I actually kinda agree with limdis. I'm recon i could have a red hot go at explaining to a newbie, the logic behind basic sql injection like the ' or 1=1 exploit, and it would give the newbie insentive to learn sql if he found it interesting. I recon, get the newbie into a hacker mindset with some cool stories and bright colours and then maybe as he's learning to program, he might think "what if i print "hello world\b\b\b\b\b\b"
Also just adding a vote to python because of it's interactive interpriter. I think if i had to learn how to program again, i'd have a lot of fun running loops and stuff without having to compile it and throwing around public static and argv and other crap without knowing what it means.

I did this when I was learning to programming, and hacking had nothing to do with it. I think it's that the actual hacking mentality is just intense curiosity to figure out how things work, and this curiosity, is just something you're born with. Don't get me wrong, you can be a great hacker without this personality trait, but in the end, it's still a personality trait that all the great's out there have had. So really, I suppose it depends on OP's personality, whether he's someone who has an insatiable curiosity for how the world around him/her works together or not.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Next

Return to NZone