recursive acronyms

General technological topics without their own forum go here

recursive acronyms

Post by pretentious on Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:58 pm
([msg=70382]see recursive acronyms[/msg])

During my years swimming in the sea of knowlege that is computer science, I've come across some fun facts and tid bits of info that i though were cute enough to take note of. One note worthy fact for http, the word "referer", isn't spelled correctly, a typo that wasn't corrected before it was standardised or something lulzy. Another one is that PHP is a recursive acronym, PHP hypertext preprocessor. I thought these were cool facts untill i looked up "GNU" which stands for GNU's Not Unix...ok and there are a bunch of these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recursive_acronym
GNU could have easily been ZNU "ZNU's Not Unix" or "SNU's Not Unix" i don't get whether this is a joke of a lack of creativity and i'm a little dissapointed that many of these acronyms i have in my head are completely arbitraty
I just thought i'd kill eveyone's good mood with my rant.
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: recursive acronyms

Post by WallShadow on Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:40 pm
([msg=70383]see Re: recursive acronyms[/msg])

The reason that PHP is such an algorithm is because the acronym came before the name itself. They just said one day that 'OUR LANGUAGE SHALL BE NAMED, PHP!' (yes, it was an all caps rage), and then years later, someone asked them what it stands for. Out of sheer lack of a good name, they just said whatever bullshit came to mind first.

Homer Simpson wrote:They sound good in my brain, then my tongue makes not the words sound very good, formally.
Last edited by WallShadow on Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pretentious on Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:14 am
([msg=70424]see Re: recursive acronyms[/msg])

Haha that's awesome. Do you have a source for that story or was it just something you herd?
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Assassian360 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:10 am
([msg=70426]see Re: recursive acronyms[/msg])

http://au1.php.net/manual/en/history.php.php

PHP originally stood for Personal Home Page.
When it reached PHP3 they renamed it PHP. And it says that it became the recursive acronym there too. It doesn't say anything about whether WallShadow's comment though. Although it doesn't clarify the choice to expand the acronym to that at all in that history linked above. So he could be right. Too lazy to look any further than that though.
Assassian360
Poster
Poster

Post by weekend hacker on Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:14 am
([msg=70427]see Re: recursive acronyms[/msg])

I recall them calling it personal home page first then personal home page hypertext preprocessor (or php hypertext preprocessor).
I honestly don't have a clue what the php in php now stands for officially... its hardly personal any more since most places now use it, but as with all things there was once a time when only a single person used it for his own little corner of the web, quite personal I'd say.
The whole recursive acronym stuff got real popular since any one mentioned personal home page.
Maybe I should change moo's "machine optimized for observation" to "moo optimized for observation" ^^

damnit assassian360 you beat me by 4 minutes ;P
<Yoda> if someone says something i don't like, i ban him, ban whoever defends him, and then ban the witnesses...
weekend hacker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mShred on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:57 am
([msg=70432]see Re: recursive acronyms[/msg])

I remember being utterly confused when trying to figure out what PHP stood for. "PHP hypertext processor... so the P in PHP stands for the whole word in itself.. uhhuh." Like some weird time travel shit. If I go back in time and told myself to not go back in time, then would I have ever gone back in time in the first place?

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by kujinR on Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:19 pm
([msg=70452]see Re: recursive acronyms[/msg])

mShred wrote:I remember being utterly confused when trying to figure out what PHP stood for. "PHP hypertext processor... so the P in PHP stands for the whole word in itself.. uhhuh." Like some weird time travel shit. If I go back in time and told myself to not go back in time, then would I have ever gone back in time in the first place?

Obligatory xkcd comic: This happens somewhere roughly once a month.
"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
"red = changed"
kujinR
Poster
Poster

Return to General