why does Solaris run a Java desktop?

Discuss how to write good code, break bad code, your current pet projects, or the best way to approach novel problems

why does Solaris run a Java desktop?

Post by pretentious on Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:29 am
([msg=70244]see why does Solaris run a Java desktop?[/msg])

I don't get it. What advantage does Java have over C or C++ when running a desktop enviroment on a single platform?
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: why does Solaris run a Java desktop?

Post by jack08642qa on Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:26 pm
([msg=70265]see Re: why does Solaris run a Java desktop?[/msg])

and what are the advantages C and C++ have over java in a desktop environment on a single platform?
jack08642qa
New User
New User

Post by WallShadow on Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:33 pm
([msg=70273]see Re: why does Solaris run a Java desktop?[/msg])

I'm not sure about the advantages/disadvantages in a desktop environment, but what I do know is that Java is much more multi-platform than C and C++ at the cost of power and simplicity. It is designed to be able to run on any platform which has Java installed. Don't know if this helped, though.
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by weekend hacker on Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:50 pm
([msg=70288]see Re: why does Solaris run a Java desktop?[/msg])

WallShadow wrote:I'm not sure about the advantages/disadvantages in a desktop environment, but what I do know is that Java is much more multi-platform than C and C++ at the cost of power and simplicity. It is designed to be able to run on any platform which has Java installed. Don't know if this helped, though.

^this
And also, they teach java in pretty much every college, a lot of computer science courses don't even touch C (except if its C#, talk about ugly useless languages..)
So the main advantage is you can have anyone fresh out of college program in it. And anyone who knows C or C++ could probably also learn java in a day or so.
<Yoda> if someone says something i don't like, i ban him, ban whoever defends him, and then ban the witnesses...
weekend hacker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by not_essence2 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:25 pm
([msg=70483]see Re: why does Solaris run a Java desktop?[/msg])

Here, I'll get into Solaris' designers' head(s): The company they work for is fairly aged, so of course the old programmers retire (and of course, they die, sadly). Because the times are changing, with a new multi-platform language called Java taking over, it's no wonder their newly hired programmers and designers, several of which have had experience working elsewhere, decide to take the easiest path, as Java runs on a lot of platforms, and they've used it so much because they've been taught it and it works so much, that there's no reason why not. Why did Java get popular in the first place? It had a self-feeding cycle, that's why: Someone's introduced to it, they discover that it works on pretty much all the projects they're designing, they use it everywhere, more people are exposed because they use it everywhere, and then the cycle starts again, taking over the programming world like a swarm of Von Neumann machines.
not_essence2
Poster
Poster

Return to Programming