Subjects of Interest

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Subjects of Interest

Post by 0phidian on Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:12 pm
([msg=70083]see Subjects of Interest[/msg])

Anyone have any suggestions on subjects to look into that may not be directly related to hacking, IT/CS, ect., but can be applied to these things. For example I had to take a logic class since I'm studing CS. I have found that there are many things that I have learned from logic that I can apply to hacking and programming.

So are there any non-technical related subjects that anyone would reccomend as worth studying. :geek:
0phidian
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Subjects of Interest

Post by weekend hacker on Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:25 am
([msg=70094]see Re: Subjects of Interest[/msg])

I'm don't know much about non technical things but I'd find a good understanding of electricity, electronics, automation, manufacturing and robots are very interesting although not directly related to hacking or CS.
Math is always good to know. (especially if you hope to know more about machine learning, those books tend to be math heavy)
And knowing something about basic psychology(mainly how people are sheep) might help in some social engineering situations. Pretty much anything that improves your social skills would be useful for SE(and life).
Design is important if you want your application to be pretty(standard CS classes don't really focus on this beyond basic photoshop skills)
Logistics, accounting or economics might be interesting if you hope to find a CS related job in those sectors. But I find them boring.

I guess all these terms are pretty wide and vague and maybe not very helpful, I wonder what other people have to say about this.
<Yoda> if someone says something i don't like, i ban him, ban whoever defends him, and then ban the witnesses...
weekend hacker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by NewVoxel on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:16 am
([msg=70179]see Re: Subjects of Interest[/msg])

This doesn't really answer your question but it may give you some idea of where to start looking. http://www.heavy.com/action/action-videos/ted/2012/03/ted-talks-all-your-devices-can-be-hacked/ It's a great ted talks video that talks about a multitude of devices that can be "hacked". The only thing I can think of from the top of my head is deeply investigating electronic circuits should you ever get the chance to physically pry something apart and tinker with its logic gates (such as those found in basic keypad locking systems).
"Don't include a single line in your code which you could not explain to your grandmother in a matter of two minutes."

And of course... assume your grandmother is not Ada Lovelace.

http://www.newvoxel.com/
NewVoxel
New User
New User

Post by limdis on Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:42 am
([msg=70223]see Re: Subjects of Interest[/msg])

You might find this to be interesting: http://hackaday.com/
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Return to General