Learning lua

Discuss how to write good code, break bad code, your current pet projects, or the best way to approach novel problems

Learning lua

Post by FLA5H on Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:33 am
([msg=70158]see Learning lua[/msg])

Iv been attempting to learn lua( totall newb and people say its pretty easy to learn) other than some HTML I'm totally lost when it comes to programming. Iv learned some basic lua terms and coding but that's about it and their doesn't seem to be many tutorials or books that are easy for a begginer to grasp or they only teach you how to "hello world" or tell you to just flat out copy text on the page without explaining why the command does what it does, that's all good and dandy but I want to learn to to create hacks and mods form games ( and mabey even make my own game). After I learn lua i plan on moving on to python or c++.

Well I guess I'm asking if you guys have any advice or know any websites that could push me in the right direction.
FLA5H
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Learning lua

Post by WallShadow on Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:56 pm
([msg=70166]see Re: Learning lua[/msg])

Since Lua isn't used as much as other languages, it doesn't have a million simple tutorials for it. However, it is still a fun language to learn and useful for beginners. You can find the official Lua documentation at http://www.lua.org/docs.html . I could write you a five hundred page book on Lua but I honestly don't have the time for it. If you need explainations of something, feel free to ask, but be precise.

If you are completely new to it, here's a check list of things you MUST know how to do in Lua in order to program it well:

- different types of variables and values (including nil, boolean, number, string, function, and table)
- functions (obviously)
- for loops
- while loops
- logic operations and if statements
- string manipulation functions
- table manipulation functions
- and of course the print() function

Again, if you want something specific, just ask.

-WallShadow <3
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Learning lua

Post by FLA5H on Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:11 pm
([msg=70357]see Re: Learning lua[/msg])

Thanks for the response. Iv actually taken up python and it's actually pretty fun and not that hard. Iv gotten pretty good at the basics and can actually write some simple programs!
FLA5H
New User
New User

Return to Programming