How to find a vulanerability in a program?

Discuss how to write good code, break bad code, your current pet projects, or the best way to approach novel problems

Re: How to find a vulanerability in a program?

Post by centip3de on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:32 pm
([msg=69753]see Re: How to find a vulanerability in a program?[/msg])

NightQuest wrote:Let's take World of Warcraft for instance, it doesn't like Cheat Engine at all, and if it sees it during boot (when the game starts) it freaks out and won't even show you the login screen.
A way around this is by editing Cheat Engines binaries to remove all references to 'Cheat Engine' as well as renaming the actual executable.

If it's something else entirely, I'd look at different programs that lets you view and edit a programs memory.
Several of these include: TSearch, OllyDbg (Attaching, then viewing Memory), ArtMoney, etc

And if those don't work, as a last-ditch effort, you could always use a ring0 debugger like Syser (attempting to take the place of SoftICE since it got discontinued); using this, you may yet still have to mask its presence (via renaming/editing).

Or if you're up for it, you could always make your own program that maps the memory regions of any given program.

Why would you even want to use a different program at all? Just throw it in a debugger and patch it with some raw ASM, it's really not that difficult once you get the hang of it.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by ghost107 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:35 pm
([msg=69858]see Re: How to find a vulanerability in a program?[/msg])

centip3de wrote:Why would you even want to use a different program at all? Just throw it in a debugger and patch it with some raw ASM, it's really not that difficult once you get the hang of it.

Some programs have protections like thermida, VMProtect, etc, which will hide the process from the process list(will require to hook NtQueryInformationProcess ), and will pack the executable(here will require to be unpacked and then patched With ASM),

But sometimes unpacking will be a pain(especially when the packer detects attachments to a process or certain applications in memory, or leads you to a false information, having lots of jumps and reciprocal functions that will induce you in errors), it will be easier to let the program unpack itself in memory and then patch it there.
ghost107
Poster
Poster

Post by centip3de on Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:51 pm
([msg=69860]see Re: How to find a vulanerability in a program?[/msg])

ghost107 wrote:Some programs have protections like thermida, VMProtect, etc, which will hide the process from the process list(will require to hook NtQueryInformationProcess ), and will pack the executable(here will require to be unpacked and then patched With ASM),

But sometimes unpacking will be a pain(especially when the packer detects attachments to a process or certain applications in memory, or leads you to a false information, having lots of jumps and reciprocal functions that will induce you in errors), it will be easier to let the program unpack itself in memory and then patch it there.

Yes, I suppose so, but all of these things can be easily (it you've done it enough) circumvented with the right techniques
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by jack08642qa on Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:24 pm
([msg=69916]see Re: How to find a vulanerability in a program?[/msg])

this link contains a huge tutorial of how to hack any game + program and it even teaches how to make trainers

warning it comes with an old version of a key logger you will need to log the keys that are used in the games so you can make a trainer so most anti virus will block it so just turn off the anti virus

snd-reversingwithlena-tutorial
Last edited by jack08642qa on Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jack08642qa
New User
New User

Post by centip3de on Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:41 pm
([msg=69917]see Re: How to find a vulanerability in a program?[/msg])

jack08642qa wrote:this link contains a huge tutorial of how to hack any game + program and it even teaches how to make trainers

warning it comes with an old version of a key logger you will need to log the keys that are used in the games so you can make a trainer so most anti virus will block it so just turn off the anti virus

[url=http...//www...2shared...com/file/QZ-JL40i/snd-reversingwithlena-tutorial...html]snd-reversingwithlena-tutorial[/url]

Hey jack08642, just wanted to say that you don't go around saying things like that on a hacking forum, even if it is true.

Also, your URL bbcode is messed up.

***EDITED TO SOUND LIKE LESS OF AN ASS***
centip3de

Post by jack08642qa on Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:02 pm
([msg=69927]see Re: How to find a vulanerability in a program?[/msg])

well if you don't trust it then you can just download the tutorial then scan it and have your anti virus remove the key logger

so if you do that you will have to use your own key logging program

I fixed the link
jack08642qa
New User
New User

Post by -A10101P- on Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:47 pm
([msg=69931]see Re: How to find a vulanerability in a program?[/msg])

jack08642qa wrote:this link contains a huge tutorial of how to hack any game + program and it even teaches how to make trainers

snd-reversingwithlena-tutorial

Thanx for the download link i once stumbled across it but i couldnt get a hang of it but that was years ago so since i have spare time i decided to revisit reverse engineering and i was trying to find that tutorial cause downloading by parts is annoying since there are like 40+ tutorials.........and what do u mean by key logger......is their a key logger program or a script that key logs the what you type.......and i think the best solution in my pov is to do this on a virtual machine
"Trust no one, believe nothing"
-A10101P-
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by jack08642qa on Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:19 pm
([msg=69934]see Re: How to find a vulanerability in a program?[/msg])

This tutorial comes with a key logger you need to use

But because its a key logger anti virus will warn you and try to delete it so if you don't trust it just let your anti virus do its work and use your own key logger as you will need 1
jack08642qa
New User
New User

Post by Cyber777 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:24 am
([msg=70002]see Re: How to find a vulanerability in a program?[/msg])

This is cool thanks for sharing :D
EXPLORING IS THE BEST WAY TO LEARN
Cyber777
New User
New User

Previous

Return to Programming