Why can't we make permanent changes with html?  Topic is solved

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Why can't we make permanent changes with html?

Post by Innhyu on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:20 pm
([msg=69841]see Why can't we make permanent changes with html?[/msg])

This probably is the most fundamental, idiotic question to those experienced but I don't get why.

You did change the value with html, what's the mechanism behind ACTUALLY changing the values of the webpage?
Why don't local changes with html permanently change the values?

Thanks!
Innhyu
New User
New User
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:57 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Why can't we make permanent changes with html?

Post by caracarn001 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:52 am
([msg=69842]see Re: Why can't we make permanent changes with html?[/msg])

If you make the changes and save on your local machine, the edits aren't permanent. However, if you somehow manage to make the changes and save on the server, the changes will be permanent (as in viewable to others)
User avatar
caracarn001
New User
New User
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:23 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Why can't we make permanent changes with html?  Topic is solved

Post by centip3de on Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:29 pm
([msg=69847]see Re: Why can't we make permanent changes with html?  Topic is solved[/msg])

Innhyu wrote:This probably is the most fundamental, idiotic question to those experienced but I don't get why.

You did change the value with html, what's the mechanism behind ACTUALLY changing the values of the webpage?
Why don't local changes with html permanently change the values?

Thanks!


No worries, we were all there at one time or another. But basically, when your fancy web browser visits a website, one of the first things it does (if not the first thing) is download a copy of the HTML code from the site's servers, so that it can display the site correctly. While displaying the site, it will also execute all server side code/Javascript on that particular website. Anyway, because when you open a webpage (even if you have been there before) you download a fresh copy of the HTML that is on the server, when you alter your personal (local) copy of the HTML, you're the only one who can see it. This is because whenever someone else visits the site, they'll be downloading the HTML from the server, not from your computer. This is also why whenever you alter your local copy of the HTML, when you revisit the site, it appears the same.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
User avatar
centip3de
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1430
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Why can't we make permanent changes with html?

Post by Innhyu on Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:46 pm
([msg=69849]see Re: Why can't we make permanent changes with html?[/msg])

ohhhh !!!
thank you for the really clear explanation!

that helped a lot :)
Innhyu
New User
New User
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:57 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Why can't we make permanent changes with html?

Post by centip3de on Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:52 pm
([msg=69850]see Re: Why can't we make permanent changes with html?[/msg])

Innhyu wrote:ohhhh !!!
thank you for the really clear explanation!

that helped a lot :)


Anytime.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
User avatar
centip3de
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1430
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Why can't we make permanent changes with html?

Post by -Ninjex- on Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:43 pm
([msg=69890]see Re: Why can't we make permanent changes with html?[/msg])

Exactly what cent had posted.

What you change on your end of the .html copy is all client side, and will not actually change information stored server side; unless of course you can send information to the server.
Which can be done multiple ways such as forms, injections, etc...

My sources:
I worked with several developers for application games on MySpace and Facebook (Mafia Wars, Mobsters, Vampires, Dog Wars, Cat Wars, and Bloodlines), I would tamper with client side information only and allow it to change things or make things happen server side that should not have happened. In most cases, it was via form fields.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
User avatar
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict
 
Posts: 1353
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:02 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Why can't we make permanent changes with html?

Post by centip3de on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:33 am
([msg=69896]see Re: Why can't we make permanent changes with html?[/msg])

-Ninjex- wrote:Exactly what cent had posted.

What you change on your end of the .html copy is all client side, and will not actually change information stored server side; unless of course you can send information to the server.
Which can be done multiple ways such as forms, injections, etc...

My sources:
I worked with several developers for application games on MySpace and Facebook (Mafia Wars, Mobsters, Vampires, Dog Wars, Cat Wars, and Bloodlines), I would tamper with client side information only and allow it to change things or make things happen server side that should not have happened. In most cases, it was via form fields.


I don't mean to sound harsh, as you generally post pretty decent information, but the OP clearly said that his question has already been answered, so there was no real need for this post.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
User avatar
centip3de
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1430
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)



Return to NZone

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron