Prompting for a password?

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Re: Prompting for a password?

Post by hellow533 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:35 pm
([msg=69762]see Re: Prompting for a password?[/msg])

iistapp wrote:I know there are software around that prompts for extra passwords, but why would you use that as an option when you already know he can snatch your first?

If I'm not wrong there is USB sticks that you can order as well, no idea what they are called.

But the way they work is like a key, you need to stick it into your computer, install the software, and after that you will always need to have the USB stick in the computer to be able to enter after you fill in your user password.

So yea, short explanation:
Once installed, you need to have the USB connected to your PC when logging in, or you will be prompted for a password, which you can set to 23429358ghuafjsk€£$€£A#¤!"¤ and forget about it as long as you have the USB stick available.

Yes I have heard about those and was thinking about it, but I wanted to know if there was anything cheaper or more available that I don't need to have with me all the time.
“Teach me how to hack!”
"What, like, with an axe?"
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by iistapp on Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:54 am
([msg=69876]see Re: Prompting for a password?[/msg])

See the earlier post by LoGiCaL__

Not sure what it is, but it sounds simple enough to use, and nothing to carry with you.

What exactly are you looking for? A password sure doesn't sound like the way to go for you as he already is able to log into your computer.

What you eventually can do is create a new account, name it whatever, "l33th4x0r123" and use that account to disable/enable your primary account, that way he won't be able to log in even if he has your password. :)

Takes time, yea.. But either that or the USB-stick in my opinion, unless you can specify in a better way what exactly you are looking for. So far there have been a lot of good suggestions to be honest in the earlier posts.
iistapp
Poster
Poster

Post by kujinR on Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:00 am
([msg=70049]see Re: Prompting for a password?[/msg])

How is he able to remove the CMOS battery without you ever knowing? That's just crazy.

Anyway, it would seem to me that this is an issue that shouldn't be tackled by hacking your /own/ computer. This douche is using your computer _without_ your permission despite, as you say, of him having his own. I say smack him in the head and make it clear that you will cut off his balls and feed it to him if he comes near your shit again.

..say it in a nice way, of course. You're still going to have to live with him.
"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
"red = changed"
kujinR
Poster
Poster

Post by hellow533 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:52 am
([msg=70070]see Re: Prompting for a password?[/msg])

kujinR wrote:How is he able to remove the CMOS battery without you ever knowing? That's just crazy.

Anyway, it would seem to me that this is an issue that shouldn't be tackled by hacking your /own/ computer. This douche is using your computer _without_ your permission despite, as you say, of him having his own. I say smack him in the head and make it clear that you will cut off his balls and feed it to him if he comes near your shit again.

..say it in a nice way, of course. You're still going to have to live with him.

Ended up kicking him out after he nearly caught the house on fire from a cigarette in our dumpster.
“Teach me how to hack!”
"What, like, with an axe?"
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Post by NoviceBlackout on Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:09 am
([msg=70071]see Re: Prompting for a password?[/msg])

hellow533 wrote:Ended up kicking him out after he nearly caught the house on fire from a cigarette in our dumpster.

Not quite a technical victory, but problem solved nonetheless :)
NoviceBlackout
New User
New User

Previous

Return to General