Reprogram Scientific Calculator

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

Reprogram Scientific Calculator

Post by NoviceBlackout on Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:59 pm
([msg=69827]see Reprogram Scientific Calculator[/msg])

Random thought of the day:
Does anyone think it's possible to reprogram a scientific calculator?
NoviceBlackout
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Reprogram Scientific Calculator

Post by centip3de on Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:37 pm
([msg=69829]see Re: Reprogram Scientific Calculator[/msg])

NoviceBlackout wrote:Random thought of the day:
Does anyone think it's possible to reprogram a scientific calculator?

Define reprogram. Does it mean, reprogramming what a certain button does? Does it mean reprogramming the math behind it all? Does it mean reprogramming a certain action (such as, when 8 * 8 is entered, it output's 712490)?

Also, what tools are you using? What language are you using? What are the specs on the calculator? Is it able to connect to a computer? Does it have a file system implemented? Does it have a BIOS?

We need more information.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by NoviceBlackout on Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:15 pm
([msg=69834]see Re: Reprogram Scientific Calculator[/msg])

centip3de wrote:Define reprogram. Does it mean, reprogramming what a certain button does? Does it mean reprogramming the math behind it all? Does it mean reprogramming a certain action (such as, when 8 * 8 is entered, it output's 712490)?

Also, what tools are you using? What language are you using? What are the specs on the calculator? Is it able to connect to a computer? Does it have a file system implemented? Does it have a BIOS?

We need more information.

For example my pretty basic sci-calc. http://thisyear.ca/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/enlargement.jpg

It has no (visible) connections to a computer, but surely it must do somewhere so the factory can pre-program it.

By reprogram it I mean for example if I press 1 then it outputs some defined text such as "The night is dark".

With the calculator having a file system implemented or having a BIOS, I'm not sure at all.

I'm not currently using any tools/languages as I wouldn't even know where to begin, although I wouldn't mind using any language.
NoviceBlackout
New User
New User

Post by centip3de on Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:21 pm
([msg=69838]see Re: Reprogram Scientific Calculator[/msg])

NoviceBlackout wrote:For example my pretty basic sci-calc. http://thisyear.ca/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/enlargement.jpg

It has no (visible) connections to a computer, but surely it must do somewhere so the factory can pre-program it.

By reprogram it I mean for example if I press 1 then it outputs some defined text such as "The night is dark".

With the calculator having a file system implemented or having a BIOS, I'm not sure at all.

I'm not currently using any tools/languages as I wouldn't even know where to begin, although I wouldn't mind using any language.

Because calculators are pretty simple (except for operator precedence (fuck operator precedence)), I'm assuming that a very basic BIOS is flashed onto a memory card and then that card is inserted into the calculator itself. Though this card must be hooked up to a computer in order for the code to be written, they most likely have a custom chip holder to do so. So, unless you want to make your own chip holder, and then attempt to write a program that talks to it, I don't think you can reprogram it.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by NoviceBlackout on Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:45 am
([msg=69885]see Re: Reprogram Scientific Calculator[/msg])

centip3de wrote:(except for operator precedence (fuck operator precedence))

I see what you did there :)

That's a shame, thanks anyway
NoviceBlackout
New User
New User

Post by sabin007 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:54 am
([msg=76402]see Re: Reprogram Scientific Calculator[/msg])

Simple, change the default circuit board with your custom circuit board which can perform the desired function :D
sabin007
New User
New User

Post by centip3de on Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:55 am
([msg=76405]see Re: Reprogram Scientific Calculator[/msg])

sabin007 wrote:Simple, change the default circuit board with your custom circuit board which can perform the desired function :D

If you will notice, the last post on this thread was almost a year ago. Please don't necro old threads, just let them die. However, that's an interesting suggestion, although I feel that it would be more work than it's worth.
centip3de

Return to Hardware