Dedicated Noob seeks help

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Dedicated Noob seeks help

Post by KingDavid82 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:14 am
([msg=69716]see Dedicated Noob seeks help[/msg])

Hello all. I am a noob. As such I know very little and need to learn. That's where you come in......you are knowledgeable and experienced. Share that knowledge. Share that experience. Whats the number one thing I should start with and what advice do you have in regards to resources I will need. In other words is there software that I should download/purchase. Should HTML be where I start? Is there anyone willing to take me under their wing and mentor me? I will put in 150% effort and time into it. Just eager to learn and start putting the knowledge into action. Thank you in advance.
KingDavid82
New User
New User
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Dedicated Noob seeks help

Post by limdis on Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:08 am
([msg=69717]see Re: Dedicated Noob seeks help[/msg])

Welcome to HTS KingDavid82.
If what you say is true then you are already half way there. As a real desire to learn will take you further and faster than the best teaching available. Being that you are new to the site I'll give you a few good pointers for starting out. First having only one person as a mentor is not the best idea and you will likely never find someone willing to do it. However, we have some highly skilled and knowledgeable members here that are more than happy to help someone who puts in the effort to learn! So let the forums here be your mentor. Second, since you already mentioned HTML and the basic missions here begin with working your way around HTML, I think it is a good place for you to start. It will also give you immediate results. Look into some basic HTML and practice making little webpages with notepad. This was one of my first experiences with coding and I played with marquees and changing color and size on the text and making links. From that I learned how to pull background images that I liked from various websites and thought I was very clever :D

But I suggest unless you want to dive into something specific (ex: wireless hacking) to hold off on seeking out and getting tools.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you like. Just remember the more work you put into trying to find the answers yourself the more we will be willing to help you. We don't like to spoon feed anyone.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
User avatar
limdis
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1384
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:45 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Dedicated Noob seeks help

Post by KingDavid82 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:44 pm
([msg=69731]see Re: Dedicated Noob seeks help[/msg])

Thank you. I agree that holding hands and walking through things is not the way to go. I want to actually learn it not simply be able to do it. I realize this will take a great deal of time and will require a great deal of effort and I look forward to doing it. I will continue with the HTML studying and learning and see where that goes. I'm taking your suggestion about making my own html pages and playing with it. Definately gives you a clear finished product which is refreshing to see. Fun to be able to demonstrate that what I'm learning is working. If any questions pop up or I just need help with something I'll feel free to ask. Thank you.
KingDavid82
New User
New User
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Dedicated Noob seeks help

Post by -Ninjex- on Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:55 pm
([msg=69734]see Re: Dedicated Noob seeks help[/msg])

KingDavid82 wrote:Thank you. I agree that holding hands and walking through things is not the way to go. I want to actually learn it not simply be able to do it. I realize this will take a great deal of time and will require a great deal of effort and I look forward to doing it. I will continue with the HTML studying and learning and see where that goes. I'm taking your suggestion about making my own html pages and playing with it. Definately gives you a clear finished product which is refreshing to see. Fun to be able to demonstrate that what I'm learning is working. If any questions pop up or I just need help with something I'll feel free to ask. Thank you.


If you are learning HTML, I would suggest learning from w3schools.com <-- purely amazing for learning web development.

There is also tests at the end to see if you could qualify and actually get a cert.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
User avatar
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict
 
Posts: 1342
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:02 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Dedicated Noob seeks help

Post by fabianhjr on Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:12 pm
([msg=69803]see Re: Dedicated Noob seeks help[/msg])

-Ninjex- wrote:If you are learning HTML, I would suggest learning from w3schools.com <-- purely amazing for learning web development.

There is also tests at the end to see if you could qualify and actually get a cert.


¡No! Actually, W3School is a really bad resource for either learning or using as a reference.(W3Fools)

Read the W3Fools document first; They make better suggestions for learning. I would also suggest that you get yourself into the StackExchange network and you start reading there. We are always here to help too.
Donate bitcoins to me! [1DhRP3hHgmSLQdRTZyT8VPTmzAj7Z2rsGA]
Dunno what bitcoins are? BitcoinMe
fabianhjr
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Dedicated Noob seeks help

Post by -Ninjex- on Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:51 pm
([msg=69809]see Re: Dedicated Noob seeks help[/msg])

fabianhjr wrote:
-Ninjex- wrote:If you are learning HTML, I would suggest learning from w3schools.com <-- purely amazing for learning web development.

There is also tests at the end to see if you could qualify and actually get a cert.


¡No! Actually, W3School is a really bad resource for either learning or using as a reference.(W3Fools)

Read the W3Fools document first; They make better suggestions for learning. I would also suggest that you get yourself into the StackExchange network and you start reading there. We are always here to help too.


This comment made me laugh.
No comment on what you typed.
I know my sources.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
User avatar
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict
 
Posts: 1342
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:02 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Dedicated Noob seeks help

Post by WallShadow on Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:11 pm
([msg=69811]see Re: Dedicated Noob seeks help[/msg])

fabianhjr wrote:
-Ninjex- wrote:If you are learning HTML, I would suggest learning from w3schools.com <-- purely amazing for learning web development.

There is also tests at the end to see if you could qualify and actually get a cert.


¡No! Actually, W3School is a really bad resource for either learning or using as a reference.(W3Fools)

Read the W3Fools document first; They make better suggestions for learning. I would also suggest that you get yourself into the StackExchange network and you start reading there. We are always here to help too.


honestly, w3schools is in fact a bad resource for learning PROFESSIONAL programming, but for BEGINNER'S programming, it's good enough, and in fact very down to the basics. If it was really such a terrible resource, we wouldn't link every noob in the world to it. w3schools is a good place to start out learning html, javascript, css, and php, but if you hope to get a job programming those languages, you better get some better resources after w3schools.
User avatar
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 594
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:37 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Dedicated Noob seeks help

Post by -Ninjex- on Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:01 am
([msg=69818]see Re: Dedicated Noob seeks help[/msg])

WallShadow wrote:
fabianhjr wrote:
-Ninjex- wrote:If you are learning HTML, I would suggest learning from w3schools.com <-- purely amazing for learning web development.

There is also tests at the end to see if you could qualify and actually get a cert.


¡No! Actually, W3School is a really bad resource for either learning or using as a reference.(W3Fools)

Read the W3Fools document first; They make better suggestions for learning. I would also suggest that you get yourself into the StackExchange network and you start reading there. We are always here to help too.


honestly, w3schools is in fact a bad resource for learning PROFESSIONAL programming, but for BEGINNER'S programming, it's good enough, and in fact very down to the basics. If it was really such a terrible resource, we wouldn't link every noob in the world to it. w3schools is a good place to start out learning html, javascript, css, and php, but if you hope to get a job programming those languages, you better get some better resources after w3schools.


I don't see the difference honestly.
It's not like the programming changes key words or functions between learning it "Professionally" and "Noobly"
The programming language is going to stay the same, no matter what.
Of course, w3schools.com isn't the best place to grab a certificate, no doubt, anyone with a degree from college or whatever would of course get chosen over some guy with a certificate from w3schools.

I don't understand your argument about how the language is completely different learning it professionally or not, it is still the same, works the same, etc...
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
User avatar
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict
 
Posts: 1342
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:02 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Dedicated Noob seeks help

Post by fabianhjr on Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:52 pm
([msg=69893]see Re: Dedicated Noob seeks help[/msg])

It is really bad to start with bad practices and wrong ideas on the fundamentals. According to operational conditioning(B.F.Skinner, 1937), should someone take a path he believes he is right and should said path be positively reinforce, for instance believing you did a great job with a web design while in reality you did a mess of tables and a ungodly spaghetti of styles, would give progress to a bad conduct and then that someone will have a problem fixing the bad practices after a while, even at his will, and it will be a lot more work in the longterm to get where you would be should you have started properly. I really suggest you read the W3Fools document even if you do not follow its advice.(Which by the way is way better for learning)

Take a deep breath and reflect, hackers are more than just crackers, black hats, or grey hats. You can and you should aspire to be more than anything else. You can and you should strive for intellectual enlightenment.

Hacker ... 7. One who enjoys the intellectual challenge of creatively overcoming or circumventing limitations.


Good luck eitherway you choose, Fabián H. jr.

PS: HTML is a Markup Language, CSS is a Style Sheet Language, JavaScript is a Programming Language||Scripting Language(Related: ECMA5). W3Schools is not associated with the W3C, W3Schools does not teach programming and do a poor job explaining design.
Donate bitcoins to me! [1DhRP3hHgmSLQdRTZyT8VPTmzAj7Z2rsGA]
Dunno what bitcoins are? BitcoinMe
fabianhjr
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 286
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)



Return to NZone

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests