how come?

Got an idea on how things should be done? A problem with something on the site? Voice your opinion!

how come?

Post by mookalovesgloop on Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:20 pm
([msg=69584]see how come?[/msg])

peace
i know that the boards are managed in a way that attempts to minimize spamming/double posting as much as possible, but how come new posts by the same user don't show up in the recent forum activity even when it's been weeks since their last post? i've had this happen to me a few times when asking for mission help in the forums and just now when i finally had time to give an extended response to a post initiated by me awhile ago....just wondering if there's a quick fix/better way to handle this issue?
thanks in advance
mooka
gloop!
mookalovesgloop
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: how come?

Post by limdis on Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:08 pm
([msg=69586]see Re: how come?[/msg])

mookalovesgloop wrote:boards are managed in a way that attempts to minimize spamming/double posting as much as possible

This is all done by hand actually. Some topics/posts fall on a the line on what can fly and what cant so we go through each and every single post to evaluate and make sure things are in order. Sometimes posts do slip by and/or one of us mods aren't available during the time of the post to catch it. But the community does a great job at flagging questionable/spam posts for us if that happens. (+1 guys)

mookalovesgloop wrote:how come new posts by the same user don't show up in the recent forum activity even when it's been weeks since their last post?

I'm a little confused by your question, but I might just be reading it wrong. If you are viewing the latest posts with View active topics option at the top it shows threads in order by the most recent post. So you should be seeing anything that is new in red (if you haven't opened the thread yet). This includes multiple posts by the same user in multiple threads. There is a limit to this search however and off the top of my head I can't remember the exact time but it's generally around a weeks time frame. Any posts older than that wont show up and you will have to seek them out in their subforums.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by mookalovesgloop on Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:08 pm
([msg=69720]see Re: how come?[/msg])

sorry i wasn't clear with my question...what i meant is that recently i was posting back and forth in the ethics board on a certain thread and i was the last person to respond to the topic. i didn't have the time to give a thorough/satisfactory answer at the moment...but when i posted again a few days later, there was no record of any new activity on the thread...it still looks like the last reply to the thread was days before when i had last been on the boards...
hope that was a little more easy to understand :oops:
peace and blessings
mooka
gloop!
mookalovesgloop
Poster
Poster

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:28 pm
([msg=69726]see Re: how come?[/msg])

Not sure. However, just so you know this post was in the currently active thread so rest assured it is working. You could always bump(in moderation) if you want a response. Some days there are many active posts and depending on when you posted it may have gotten pushed down into the 1/2 way to bottom part of the active threads page. It's the only thing I can think of what would cause this.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by mookalovesgloop on Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:56 pm
([msg=69728]see Re: how come?[/msg])

okay, what i mean is right now if you go to the ethics section of the board and you look at the thread that i created, it will show "no new posts" with the last message posted by me on september 9th, but when you click on the thread, you'll see that my last post was *actually* on september 23rd, only two days ago...which could possibly mislead the average onlooker....
peace
mooka
gloop!
mookalovesgloop
Poster
Poster

Post by limdis on Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:10 pm
([msg=69729]see Re: how come?[/msg])

I've been talking to one of the admins about this issue. Thanks for bringing it up.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by mookalovesgloop on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:33 am
([msg=69751]see Re: how come?[/msg])

no problemo! 8-) lol
peace
gloop!
mookalovesgloop
Poster
Poster

Post by weekend hacker on Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:06 pm
([msg=69770]see Re: how come?[/msg])

Its because if you're the last to post and then post again phpbb makes it into an edit of the previous post.
The original date holds. (also you'll find that I've since noticed it and responded ^^)
<Yoda> if someone says something i don't like, i ban him, ban whoever defends him, and then ban the witnesses...
weekend hacker
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Comments & Suggestions