Prompting for a password?

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Prompting for a password?

Post by hellow533 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:52 pm
([msg=69664]see Prompting for a password?[/msg])

Is there a way to my make computer require a password (besides the usual login) for use? A new roommate moved in, and I've found him using my computer and found multiple Trojans which to me a while to clean off. I told him to stop using it, but I think he is behind my back despite him having his own. I used ccleaner and such, but other than that I need a password. Something that will stay on even if he removed the CMOS battery.

Thanks in advanced.
“Teach me how to hack!”
"What, like, with an axe?"
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Prompting for a password?

Post by WallShadow on Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:48 pm
([msg=69666]see Re: Prompting for a password?[/msg])

I don't know about a password, but I guessing you can do some tricky stuff with a malicious AV-styled program. Have a background script run at start up which endlessly loops and kills explorer.exe and taskmgr.exe (and possibly anything else that they might get a hold off, but I find that those two are sufficient) and then open up an application prompt asking for the password. Just reopen the app window every time someone tries to close it. If the proper password is entered, the app kills the background script, starts explorer.exe, and then exits itself. The only problem would be pop ups from various programs such as AV or whatever.

This is just a shot in the dark, there's probably specialized programs to do this out on the net, but I've never heard of any.
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by limdis on Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:51 pm
([msg=69667]see Re: Prompting for a password?[/msg])

I would keylog yourself. On top of that set up your webcam to take shots every few min while you are away. Catch him in the act and harvest anything personal he uses. If malicious and trying to RAT you light his bed on fire.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:09 am
([msg=69682]see Re: Prompting for a password?[/msg])

Have you thought about encrypting your hard drive?
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by iistapp on Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:30 am
([msg=69684]see Re: Prompting for a password?[/msg])

About encryption.. Would truecrypt be a good choice? (just because I might need it in the future)

I've never had the time to install it or even look it up, but I hear a lot of people say it's THE SHIT for encrypting stuff.

Anyone able to confirm this? :)
iistapp
Poster
Poster

Post by hellow533 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:13 am
([msg=69685]see Re: Prompting for a password?[/msg])

LoGiCaL__ wrote:Have you thought about encrypting your hard drive?

I just recently have actually, but I still want that password to be needed.

-- Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:14 am --

Anybody able to help?
“Teach me how to hack!”
"What, like, with an axe?"
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Post by iistapp on Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:36 am
([msg=69713]see Re: Prompting for a password?[/msg])

I know there are software around that prompts for extra passwords, but why would you use that as an option when you already know he can snatch your first?

If I'm not wrong there is USB sticks that you can order as well, no idea what they are called.

But the way they work is like a key, you need to stick it into your computer, install the software, and after that you will always need to have the USB stick in the computer to be able to enter after you fill in your user password.

So yea, short explanation:
Once installed, you need to have the USB connected to your PC when logging in, or you will be prompted for a password, which you can set to 23429358ghuafjsk€£$€£A#¤!"¤ and forget about it as long as you have the USB stick available.
iistapp
Poster
Poster

Post by limdis on Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:09 am
([msg=69715]see Re: Prompting for a password?[/msg])

iistapp wrote:I know there are software around that prompts for extra passwords, but why would you use that as an option when you already know he can snatch your first?

If I'm not wrong there is USB sticks that you can order as well, no idea what they are called.

But the way they work is like a key, you need to stick it into your computer, install the software, and after that you will always need to have the USB stick in the computer to be able to enter after you fill in your user password.

Once installed, you need to have the USB connected to your PC when logging in, or you will be prompted for a password, which you can set to 23429358ghuafjsk€£$€£A#¤!"¤ and forget about it as long as you have the USB stick available.

That is called a Dongle and that is actually an outstanding idea! Most of the time they are specific to a certain type of software and are required in order to run a program. Though I have heard of ones that are needed for just logging into a computer. I wonder how difficult it would be to make one yourself hmm... To google I go!
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by -Ninjex- on Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:16 pm
([msg=69719]see Re: Prompting for a password?[/msg])

I know there are software around that prompts for extra passwords, but why would you use that as an option when you already know he can snatch your first?

Nice, +1

Also, if all else fails; why not just set up a password for all of your programs?
Get something like backdoor 9 maybe.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:21 pm
([msg=69725]see Re: Prompting for a password?[/msg])

-Ninjex- wrote:Get something like backdoor 9 maybe.

New pronz, lol? Joking aside though, I'm curious as to how knowledgeable you're roomate is with computers or are you just going the extra mile to be thorough? If you have control of the router and it's capable you can disable internet connection at times you are usually not around. Also, you might want to check out content blocking software and just block everything and use a password to disable when you want to use it yourself. I've used this in the past and it worked pretty good:

http://download.cnet.com/K9-Web-Protection/3000-27064_4-10487710.html?tag=contentBody;pop
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Next

Return to General