Where to begin my journey?

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Where to begin my journey?

Post by Rizaar on Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:09 pm
([msg=69619]see Where to begin my journey?[/msg])

Good evening everyone,

First off I would like to start off by saying hello :D

I am pretty new to the computer world but I really want to get more involved and jumpstart my learning and delve deep into things. But I am a tad bit confused as I am afraid I may have jumped in way over my head and feel a little overwhelmed.

I have done many google searches on where to start or where to begin on my path to learn about information security/hacking and my end goal is a career in this. However, most search results end up half-way through the process and their starting point is usually a little further down the road then my current knowledge.

So here is my question/request. Assuming someone is brand new to computers, as in just got on for the first time ( I actually feel very comfortable with computers but the missions and some of the lingo on this site has made me feel like I have the computer IQ of my technology hating grandfather) what would be your checklist of learning for them. As in where to start for the computer illiterate if their end goal is along the lines of becoming a hacker (blackhat/greyhat/whitehat or what have you). I want to learn but I feel so overwhelmed right now I don't know WHAT to learn FIRST.

All help is greatly appreciated,
Rizaar
Rizaar
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Where to begin my journey?

Post by Springynull on Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:04 pm
([msg=69621]see Re: Where to begin my journey?[/msg])

I would suggest that you start with something simple. Such as Linux and CMD get to know the commands that are used. Ounce you are used to that you should start learning your programing languages. Get some books at your local library on programing languages such as HTML, C, C#, C++, Java, and BASIC. There are a lot of programming languages out there. It may be hard to pick one but the one's i started out learning were C, Java, HTML, JavaScript, and PHP.
You should get familiar with the languages of your choice. Maybe even make a few programs of your own.You should learn how websites operate as far as security. There are some good videos and websites out there that will help you learn. You will have to learn on your own I'm not the kind of person that will spoon feed you information. If you ever have questions never be afraid to ask. :D
Springy has sprung into the chat!
Springynull
New User
New User

Post by Rizaar on Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:28 pm
([msg=69623]see Re: Where to begin my journey?[/msg])

I appreciate the response!

I wasn't looking to be taught through this thread, just looking for a road map if you will. I really appreciate your response and will get to work on learning about linux first!

Once again thank you for the timely response and the friendliness of the post.

Rizaar
Rizaar
New User
New User

Post by -Ninjex- on Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:51 pm
([msg=69628]see Re: Where to begin my journey?[/msg])

Rizaar wrote:I appreciate the response!

I wasn't looking to be taught through this thread, just looking for a road map if you will. I really appreciate your response and will get to work on learning about linux first!

Once again thank you for the timely response and the friendliness of the post.

Rizaar

Ahhh, I remember when I was first getting started... It takes a long time to learn my friend, I was 12 years old when I started and I am 19 now. I look at the people here and I surely can make myself look like a dumbass a lot haha.

Basically how I started was messing with batch files. Learn how to make batch files and get used to the commands. This will get you more geared towards how things work, as most of these are pretty basic.
For instance, try this out:

Open up notepad (If you are running windows, and you probably are since you are new to the hacking world) type in the following:

Code: Select all
start https://www.google.com/

After typing the above, save it with the .bat (batch file) extension as google.bat to your desktop.

Go to your desktop and open the file up and it should launch your browser and take you directly to google

Now, there are several other commands which are fun such as:

(for giggles use this command: shutdown -s -t 001 -c "lol" and save it to a friend desktop. Right click the file on the desktop and change the icon to his default browsers icon; delete the link to his browser on his desktop and name your batch file whatever his browser was: For instance if he uses firefox, right click it > rename > "Firefox". Once opened it will run your command and shutdown the system immediately)

shutdown -s -t 100 -c "System Maintenance"

The above will shut down the machine in 100 seconds and will give the message in the quotes which is: System Maintenance

Note that a shutdown may be reversed by the following command:

shutdown /a
or
shutdown -a

you can open up your command prompt by going to run and typing in cmd.exe, or alternatively just hit your start button and search for cmd and open it.

Once this is open, you will get access to your command prompt, which should look like a empty black box, you can type in "help" or maybe "?" and possibly "help ?" and it should give a large list of commands. Once you get the large list of commands, you can view more information on a desired command by typing either "?" or "help" at the end of your chosen command; I am not sure which one it is though, as I have not been on windows in years.

Basically, if you run "help" and get a list and you see the command "shutdown" you don't know the usage of this command, so to view this, you would type: "shutdown help" or maybe "shutdown ?" this will give you the basic usage of this command, and details of what it does.
This is almost similar with Linux Ubuntu in a terminal, as you run into some CLI (command line interface) programs and this is the same way you learn their usage and capabilities. (For Linux you would find the tool you want help with and add --help to the end or man to the beginning for the usage. Man is short for Manuel which tends to be the better option for in depth information on the usage; opposed to --help which will give a quick brief over view of how the usage should be. For instance in Linux if you wanted to know information on the shutdown command you would use: shutdown --help or man shutdown)

With these commands, you can program these to run on a batch file, so you can have fun learning new stuff and creating your own files, etc... (Please be careful as you do this, because you can mess things up by running dumb commands, but it would be a bit hard to, just a warning)

After that, I suggest something fairly easy such as C+, C++, or HTML (HTML is the easiest in my opinion)

The great thing about HTML is it is easy to learn using notepad again, you can save your files as a .html extension and see the output of your code.

If you want to learn more on HTML, I suggest this site: w3schools.com <--- they are amazing and go into lots of detail and the depths of things, you can also participate in little side interactions while learning to give an idea on how it works. All for free and no registration needed.

I hope this will encourage you to stick around and hang out in the hackers world!
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by Rizaar on Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:21 am
([msg=69644]see Re: Where to begin my journey?[/msg])

Wow that is an amazing post! Thank you so much for your help as well. I am definitely in for some learning lessons! I really appreciate everything and your info has really given me an idea where to start my path out.

Rizaar
Rizaar
New User
New User

Post by -Ninjex- on Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:26 am
([msg=69646]see Re: Where to begin my journey?[/msg])

Rizaar wrote:Wow that is an amazing post! Thank you so much for your help as well. I am definitely in for some learning lessons! I really appreciate everything and your info has really given me an idea where to start my path out.

Rizaar

Glad to help my friend, if you run into any questions along the way, don't be afraid to shoot me a message I am always lurking these forums; I just can't seem to leave them.

This may also be of interest to you, have a look!

Same way as I had explained above, only you don't have to keep typing the commands such as "addusers help", "cd help", etc. It is all there.

Have fun!
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by Rizaar on Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:25 pm
([msg=69650]see Re: Where to begin my journey?[/msg])

Oh wow sweet site! That's definitely better then just sitting there typing help for every command. Here is another question for you all. Will pursuing a degree in Computer Science help me with learning all of this stuff as well or is that kind of another topic as far as computers go?

Rizaar
Rizaar
New User
New User

Post by -Ninjex- on Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:38 pm
([msg=69653]see Re: Where to begin my journey?[/msg])

Rizaar wrote:Oh wow sweet site! That's definitely better then just sitting there typing help for every command. Here is another question for you all. Will pursuing a degree in Computer Science help me with learning all of this stuff as well or is that kind of another topic as far as computers go?

Rizaar

Getting a degree in Computer Science definitely will help you, but not nearly as much as getting a degree as a penetration tester. I would have been in college already for pen testing yet I am not able to fill out the fasfa myself (I tried) and have to wait for my mom (will never happen). Also, if your school offers extra curriculum classes of your choice, I was going to do criminal justice - cyber crime.
Computer Science would be ideal for knowing how everything works, so yes it would essentially help.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by Rizaar on Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:02 pm
([msg=69655]see Re: Where to begin my journey?[/msg])

I am limited to online college right now do to my current occupation. But my plan was working on a computer science bachelor's and then going through the different IT certifications up to C|EH, and possibly on further than that.
Rizaar
New User
New User

Post by -Ninjex- on Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:04 pm
([msg=69657]see Re: Where to begin my journey?[/msg])

Rizaar wrote:I am limited to online college right now do to my current occupation. But my plan was working on a computer science bachelor's and then going through the different IT certifications up to C|EH, and possibly on further than that.

Nice, that would be great!

Good luck!
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Return to NZone