Router will not forward port # 443

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

Router will not forward port # 443

Post by -Ninjex- on Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:51 pm
([msg=69194]see Router will not forward port # 443[/msg])

I tried going to my router settings and set up port 443 to port forward, but no success.

It shows that I have it enabled for port forwarding, but in reality it isn't.

I checked at can you see me.

Is there some sort of alternative I can turn to for port forwarding?
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Router will not forward port # 443

Post by Monica on Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:15 am
([msg=69196]see Re: Router will not forward port # 443[/msg])

Port forwarding sucks. What are you trying to use port forwarding for? I work for an internet service provider, and I've learned that some of the most common reasons why port forwarding may not work could be due to the following:

- Do you have a firewall? If so, make sure it's not blocking any traffic.
- If you've done port forwarding before on the same router, make sure there aren't any existing port forwarding rules, especially for the same port. If there are, change the ports or remove them.
- Real Idiot Test - are you sure you have the correct IP's?
- Not sure why, but some routers may need a reset or reboot after port forwarding rules are set. Did you do this?

If you can provide more information, the more answers you might receive here.
hi am new so plz dont troll me or i report 2 the HTS mods ty
Monica
Contributor
Contributor

Post by -Ninjex- on Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:07 am
([msg=69197]see Re: Router will not forward port # 443[/msg])

Monica wrote:Port forwarding sucks. What are you trying to use port forwarding for? I work for an internet service provider, and I've learned that some of the most common reasons why port forwarding may not work could be due to the following:

- Do you have a firewall? If so, make sure it's not blocking any traffic.
- If you've done port forwarding before on the same router, make sure there aren't any existing port forwarding rules, especially for the same port. If there are, change the ports or remove them.
- Real Idiot Test - are you sure you have the correct IP's?
- Not sure why, but some routers may need a reset or reboot after port forwarding rules are set. Did you do this?

If you can provide more information, the more answers you might receive here.

The port forwarding I am doing for penetration testing, which I will soon be in college for; basically trying to get ahead of the race! I am trying to send a backdoor to my target outside of my LAN.
I have made a LAN backdoor, that is easy to do, I have done that no problem, I just really got head fucked when it came to WAN.

To answer the questions:

- I am using Backtrack 5 R2 and out of the box has the firewall disabled on boot up, unless configured otherwise. I have not changed any of my firewall settings, and made sure to do a check on it anyway.

- I have not tried to forward any ports on this router prior, but noticed my router automatically blocks trying to forward the same port twice. That means not only did I not do this, it isn't even possible.

- <-- This one was a lol moment... Yes, all proxy settings disabled and turned off Your external IP

- I rebooted the router at least three times after setting up the port forward and seen that it failed.

This one bugs, thanks for the reply so far as well, hoping to hear back from you again.
I hope to get this working.

Also, if you are familiar with the backtrack's payload > reverse_tcp, which is what I am using, I can provide more details on this subject.

Thanks again!
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by weekend hacker on Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:00 am
([msg=69203]see Re: Router will not forward port # 443[/msg])

I find that a lot of ISPs these days (all the mayor ones in my country do it) block a lot of wel known ports. mainly anything that can be abused (email, ftp, ssh, http(s), netbios?!? and all the popular proxy ports)
You could check your isp's website or call customer services to find out what they block.
In my case I can have stuff unblocked for my connection but they charge 20 euro each time I request a change.
<Yoda> if someone says something i don't like, i ban him, ban whoever defends him, and then ban the witnesses...
weekend hacker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tremor77 on Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:10 am
([msg=69207]see Re: Router will not forward port # 443[/msg])

If your using ssh for pentesting there is no reason why you need port 443. In fact, much of the entire port set is just "common usage", and there is nothing saying you cant put that service or protocol on another port. Change your ssl port to 4343 and try that. (If its an IP block situation).

Additionally, your router could suck, and port forwarding not work like it should.. what is the model. Have you considered setting up a DMZ or just using NAT instead of port forwarding?
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Monica on Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:47 pm
([msg=69285]see Re: Router will not forward port # 443[/msg])

weekend hacker wrote:I find that a lot of ISPs these days (all the mayor ones in my country do it) block a lot of wel known ports. mainly anything that can be abused (email, ftp, ssh, http(s), netbios?!? and all the popular proxy ports)
You could check your isp's website or call customer services to find out what they block.
In my case I can have stuff unblocked for my connection but they charge 20 euro each time I request a change.

Weekend baby, that is a good point. However, although most U.S ISP's do block some of the common ports such as above, it impacts INBOUND only.
hi am new so plz dont troll me or i report 2 the HTS mods ty
Monica
Contributor
Contributor

Post by weekend hacker on Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:40 pm
([msg=69294]see Re: Router will not forward port # 443[/msg])

Monica, sex-puppet

It was my understanding this was related to inbound traffic, no one uses privileged ports for outgoing traffic theres just too much effort involved and running as root is for suckers. I can't really think of any 'normal' situation where your outgoing port would ever have to be below 1024, or even matter at all. (Except maybe some form of session hijacking?)
<Yoda> if someone says something i don't like, i ban him, ban whoever defends him, and then ban the witnesses...
weekend hacker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:39 pm
([msg=69303]see Re: Router will not forward port # 443[/msg])

Actually, a little more detail may be useful. I originally thought this was for Tor. However, after reading through all the responses it seems like everyone may have a different theory.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by -Ninjex- on Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:15 pm
([msg=69570]see Re: Router will not forward port # 443[/msg])

Well, let me bring this topic from the dead haha

Why I was trying to forward port 443:

I needed to forward this port in order to receive and send traffic to users located outside of my LAN.
For my pen test, I was making a backdoor executable file in Backtrack 5.
To set up the backdoor, I need to set the LHOST as my external IP.
Now, I set the LPORT as 443.

If someone opens this executable, it should be able to allow traffic from my port to them; allowing it to execute the payload.
I have been using the reverse tcp payload feature, to gain access to a shell command while the executable is running.

I tested this on LAN and it worked perfectly.

On WAN, my ports are not forwarding and thus refusing to make a connection.

I was thinking to complete this task, maybe there could be an alternative; such as no-ip and a dns host possibly?
It seems as if it could be a better choice, as I could have no-ip redirect all incoming traffic to my external IP which changes over a course of time, while no-ip will keep the same IP.

I think I read a tutorial on this, but could not get it working properly. In the tutorial, there was also a tool mentioned which automatically opens all of your ports, and uses itself to control traffic that is coming in / out. Sounds very dangerous though.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Return to Networking