how to get the hacking tools?

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Re: how to get the hacking tools?

Post by tremor77 on Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:37 am
([msg=69208]see Re: how to get the hacking tools?[/msg])

Feel the love!!! lol, but yes, I agree.
Image
User avatar
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 865
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:00 pm
Location: New York
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: how to get the hacking tools?

Post by limdis on Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:30 am
([msg=69211]see Re: how to get the hacking tools?[/msg])

I was rereading this and I feel like the question really hasn't been answered. I know OP is probably gone but for those that also might have this very same question:

When it comes to tools you have to be careful about where you get them from. This is the same when it comes to any program you wish to download. If possible, you only want to download something from the ORIGINAL/HOST location. For example; the other day I went to get an updated version of VLC. Simple google search gave me several locations to get it from. Now, because I wasn't thinking I just up and clicked on the first one assuming that it was the main site and go go go. Half way into the install setup I realized my mistake when I was asked to install tools bars and shit. Attempting to close the installer gave me errors and my computer crashed. I spent the next hour purging all the malware off....

Hack tools are the same way. Except if you aren't careful you are likely to get yourself infected with something very dangerous. Do your research on the tool before you try it out. Find out who made it and get it from the source to ensure that it's clean.

To the members here, don't hesitate to ask us about a tool you are researching and/or if you have found the right spot to get it. We all have a start point and it's better to ask questions and learn than run in blind.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
User avatar
limdis
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1319
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:45 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: how to get the hacking tools?

Post by wan26 on Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:42 am
([msg=69213]see Re: how to get the hacking tools?[/msg])

I agree, and also after checking where it's from and looking at who made it, if you're still uncertain it's good to place it on another machine and watch for network activity with various tools such as tcpdump. To see how it affects the file system, there are tools on top of basic things like checking recently updated files in search etc. If I was on windows I’d probably want to dump the memory and do all of the above a few times before I actually trusted it. rare that I would do this though, but essentially it's treating a new program as if it was a virus and seeing what it does.
User avatar
wan26
Experienced User
Experienced User
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: how to get the hacking tools?

Post by -Ninjex- on Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:03 pm
([msg=69214]see Re: how to get the hacking tools?[/msg])

limdis wrote:I was rereading this and I feel like the question really hasn't been answered. I know OP is probably gone but for those that also might have this very same question:

When it comes to tools you have to be careful about where you get them from. This is the same when it comes to any program you wish to download. If possible, you only want to download something from the ORIGINAL/HOST location. For example; the other day I went to get an updated version of VLC. Simple google search gave me several locations to get it from. Now, because I wasn't thinking I just up and clicked on the first one assuming that it was the main site and go go go. Half way into the install setup I realized my mistake when I was asked to install tools bars and shit. Attempting to close the installer gave me errors and my computer crashed. I spent the next hour purging all the malware off....

Hack tools are the same way. Except if you aren't careful you are likely to get yourself infected with something very dangerous. Do your research on the tool before you try it out. Find out who made it and get it from the source to ensure that it's clean.

To the members here, don't hesitate to ask us about a tool you are researching and/or if you have found the right spot to get it. We all have a start point and it's better to ask questions and learn than run in blind.


I agree with that!

I also feel, that wan26 needs to tell us what operating system he is using as well to better point him to the right direction.

I can almost go with my gut and say he is using Windows though.

There is a difference in downloading, installing, and compiling on a Linux, Mac, and Windows machine.
Hell, even in Linux you have different file types, distributions, etc that change the entire download and install process.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
User avatar
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict
 
Posts: 1218
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:02 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: how to get the hacking tools?

Post by wan26 on Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:00 pm
([msg=69218]see Re: how to get the hacking tools?[/msg])

No I'm using Linux, there is a port of tcpdump for Windows called windump. There are many packet analysis tools out there, so knowing what OS i am using is not really an issue. And I am well aware of the differences between them both windows and linux, don't worry. The general idea in my reply was to take the program to another machine, regardless of OS... and use tools to look at its network traffic...
User avatar
wan26
Experienced User
Experienced User
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: how to get the hacking tools?

Post by -Ninjex- on Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:50 pm
([msg=69223]see Re: how to get the hacking tools?[/msg])

wan26 wrote:No I'm using Linux, there is a port of tcpdump for Windows called windump. There are many packet analysis tools out there, so knowing what OS i am using is not really an issue. And I am well aware of the differences between them both windows and linux, don't worry. The general idea in my reply was to take the program to another machine, regardless of OS... and use tools to look at its network traffic...


Oh, sorry my friend I meant Class8 in my previous post.
Class8 being the original creator of this topic.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
User avatar
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict
 
Posts: 1218
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:02 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: how to get the hacking tools?

Post by wan26 on Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:17 pm
([msg=69227]see Re: how to get the hacking tools?[/msg])

My bad, I miss read - I do that too often, and I agree he probably is using windows :P
User avatar
wan26
Experienced User
Experienced User
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: how to get the hacking tools?

Post by -Ninjex- on Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:23 pm
([msg=69228]see Re: how to get the hacking tools?[/msg])

wan26 wrote:My bad, I miss read - I do that too often, and I agree he probably is using windows :P



It's not your fault, you read correctly.

I did put your name instead of his by accident.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
User avatar
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict
 
Posts: 1218
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:02 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: how to get the hacking tools?

Post by wan26 on Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:32 pm
([msg=69229]see Re: how to get the hacking tools?[/msg])

Ahh s'all good, also it's been over two weeks since the thread was made, I wonder if he downloaded a prog from a bad place and is now screwed haha
User avatar
wan26
Experienced User
Experienced User
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: how to get the hacking tools?

Post by -Ninjex- on Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:46 pm
([msg=69230]see Re: how to get the hacking tools?[/msg])

wan26 wrote:Ahh s'all good, also it's been over two weeks since the thread was made, I wonder if he downloaded a prog from a bad place and is now screwed haha


Yeah, I wonder...

If he did, it is his own fault though.

I have not used any antivirus software in years, as it is basically pointless.

I mean the situations on getting a virus really are:

1. You download from a untrusted site / origin.
2. Poor security settings and staying outdated on patches.
3. Someone social engineers you.

Not to mention, changing up the code a little bit or using your own custom created fud and keeping the algorithm confidential; will almost make their way through most antivirus software.

You stay away from those three things and I am sure you will be golden unless you really piss someone off that knows what they are doing.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
User avatar
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict
 
Posts: 1218
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:02 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


PreviousNext

Return to NZone

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests