Where is a good spot to start?

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Where is a good spot to start?

Post by -Ninjex- on Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:35 am
([msg=69136]see Where is a good spot to start?[/msg])

As in programming itself, what would you consider the most elite programming language?
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Where is a good spot to start?

Post by limdis on Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:47 am
([msg=69137]see Re: Where is a good spot to start?[/msg])

Well taking a wild stab in the dark but I would guess you might be wanting to get into some web hacking. In that case I'd say check out PHP. I know technically its a scripting language but it really doesn't make that much of a difference what you call it.

Oh this is a little dated but I found this to a bit interesting.
http://langpop.com/
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by -Ninjex- on Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:59 pm
([msg=69146]see Re: Where is a good spot to start?[/msg])

limdis wrote:Well taking a wild stab in the dark but I would guess you might be wanting to get into some web hacking. In that case I'd say check out PHP. I know technically its a scripting language but it really doesn't make that much of a difference what you call it.

Oh this is a little dated but I found this to a bit interesting.
http://langpop.com/

Yeah, I was gearing the question toward all languages web based or not, sorry for the confusion!

Nice link though, about sums it up for me =)

Not really looking for web hacking information, and besides that, google is a great place to find that informatoin.

It mainly seems like simply xss, sql, or just plain coding errors, especially in form fields these days.

You can check my missions on here as well almost have all the realistic missions which are all web based (Missing 16 & 17)

I mainly wanted to see what others think is the dominate language.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by limdis on Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:43 pm
([msg=69150]see Re: Where is a good spot to start?[/msg])

Centip3de is a great person to talk to about this. He sticks his head in pretty often. Sure he's friendly to PMs as well.

-Ninjex- wrote:and besides that, google is a great place to find that informatoin.

+1, so many people miss this!
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by -Ninjex- on Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:48 pm
([msg=69151]see Re: Where is a good spot to start?[/msg])

limdis wrote:Centip3de is a great person to talk to about this.

Thanks for the quick response, will do.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by 0phidian on Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:49 pm
([msg=69152]see Re: Where is a good spot to start?[/msg])

-Ninjex- wrote:As in programming itself, what would you consider the most elite programming language?

Assembly :twisted:

Honestly though, there is no most elite language, different languages have their uses, and personal preference plays a part. However java seems to be the most popular as far as people I've met. I personally don't care for java though. My favorite is C++ becuase of its lower level concepts along with all the benifets of a high level language.

hacking wise:
PHP/SQL/javascript = web hacking
C/C++ = bufferoverflows/memory corruption and Awesome
Java = cross platform malware
Python = handy for random shiz
Last edited by 0phidian on Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0phidian
Poster
Poster

Post by -Ninjex- on Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:57 pm
([msg=69153]see Re: Where is a good spot to start?[/msg])

0phidian wrote:
-Ninjex- wrote:As in programming itself, what would you consider the most elite programming language?

Assembly :twisted:

Honestly though, there is no most elite language, different languages have there uses, and personal preference plays a part. However java seems to be the most popular as far as people I've met. I personally don't care for java though. My favorite is C++ becuase of its lower level concepts along with all the benifets of a high level language.

hacking wise:
PHP/SQL/javascript = web hacking
C/C++ = bufferoverflows/memory corruption and Awesome
Java = cross platform malware
Python = handy for random shiz

I like that ^
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:42 pm
([msg=69161]see Re: Where is a good spot to start?[/msg])

C, I always here you can do a lot with and I believe it, I just don't really like it that much. C++ being my favorite I do dabble with regular C. Don't forget about shell scripting either especially if you're into networking.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by -Ninjex- on Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:30 pm
([msg=69164]see Re: Where is a good spot to start?[/msg])

LoGiCaL__ wrote:C, I always here you can do a lot with and I believe it, I just don't really like it that much. C++ being my favorite I do dabble with regular C. Don't forget about shell scripting either especially if you're into networking.

I will vouch for C++ - Great language imo
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by centip3de on Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:49 pm
([msg=69180]see Re: Where is a good spot to start?[/msg])

limdis wrote:Centip3de is a great person to talk to about this. He sticks his head in pretty often.

Glad I'm known for something positive. <3

Anyway, to answer your question which has really already been answered: No language is better than the other. However, there are many languages that excel over the others in certain area's; for instance, if you're cooking in a kitchen, you generally have a lot of different utensils to work with (spatula, spoon, knife, whisk, fork, etc.), no utensil is innately better than the other, but they all excel over each other in different ways. Sure, you could do everything you need to in a kitchen with a fork, but why the fuck would you make cookies with only a fork? That's ridiculous, it'd be much easier to use multiple tools to complete the job.

That being said, there are some languages out there that are well popular enough and easy enough to do just about anything you need to do, such as Python (extensive libraries, easy syntax, even easier to learn, most (except file operations and such) are multi-platform and it has OOP as needed (though it is interpreted)). Another language that can do just about anything that you need it to is the C programming language. C has been around almost as long as computers have been around and is growing in popularity every year. However, in comparison with languages such as Visual Basic, Python, or Java, it's much harder to learn, though once you learn it, everything will seem incredibly easy compared to it (and it's compiled).

To sum this all up, it's really what you need most at the time that is the best language. If you're making a website, use PHP/HTML/CSS/SQL/Javascript, but if you're coding up a server, Java/PHP/C++ (fuck Perl) have shown to be good assets. And finally, if you're going to be doing some local side coding (note that there are thousands of different things that you could be doing locally, and each language is better at the other at something), I'd check out C/C++/Java/Python, or even assembly if you're up for the challenge.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Next

Return to General