My goal, where to start?

Data that travels over the air and how to protect (or decipher) it

Re: My goal, where to start?

Post by tremor77 on Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:38 am
([msg=68944]see Re: My goal, where to start?[/msg])

So I see my assumption about the ISP was right. Do you have access to your Wimax admin panel? This connection can be monitored - and may be vulnerable to MITM attacks, although most reliable ISP's serving wimax have pretty strict standards in place to ensure data integrity and security.

Dug up this article - its a few years old but explains in good english some concerns: http://www.networkworld.com/columnists/2006/121106-wireless-security.html
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: My goal, where to start?

Post by ax10m on Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:36 am
([msg=68949]see Re: My goal, where to start?[/msg])

limdis wrote:Actually this is a good thing! You should be excited lol. If you put some time into this you can really learn a lot and greatly increase your knowledge and skills in security.

Well, I'm...self-employed (read: unemployed) So aside from learning a new language and being a full time grad student, I have plenty of time to devote to learning network security. I'm signing up for a computer course through my grad school, just to get a wheel rolling. I've been really interested in this stuff for a long time and have been going to grad school to complete a degree I lost interest in years ago :roll: I'm looking into tacking on some computer certs to my resume. I worked in tier 1 IT help desk for about a year and actually enjoyed fixing people's problems (probably the only guy there that enjoyed it, haha)

limdis wrote:Simple question I forgot to ask, have you encrypted your network?

Yes, it's encrypted.

tremor wrote:So I see my assumption about the ISP was right. Do you have access to your Wimax admin panel? This connection can be monitored - and may be vulnerable to MITM attacks, although most reliable ISP's serving wimax have pretty strict standards in place to ensure data integrity and security.

Dug up this article - its a few years old but explains in good english some concerns: http://www.networkworld.com/columnists/ ... urity.html

Yes, I have admin rights to my WiMax panel....as soon as I can remember what I set the login/password to. Grrr.
I would imagine this country's "strict standards" aren't that strict, if you know what I mean. Haha.

Thanks for the article, I'll give it a read.
ax10m
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Previous

Return to Networking