Am i traceable?  Topic is solved

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Am i traceable?

Post by pretentious on Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:28 pm
([msg=68631]see Am i traceable?[/msg])

If i spoof my MAC address and use an unencrypted and public network access point, is there any way to connect me to my actions? apart from my physical presence, witnesses, security cameras etc.
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Am i traceable?  Topic is solved

Post by limdis on Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:52 pm
([msg=68632]see Re: Am i traceable?  Topic is solved[/msg])

Depends on the situation. Generally no. Not unless physical access to your computer is obtained. However, aside from your previously mentioned items you need to consider your own footprints. Are the sites you are connecting to or anything else able to monitor your cookies? Are you connecting to anything personal? (like facebook, bank accounts, emails)
Also your mac address specifically. Don't go spoofing to 00:11:22:33:44:55 like a nub. It's not obvious at all...

Edit: One more thing. You should have blacksheep up when on an unencrypted network
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Re: Am i traceable?

Post by illusion_ on Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:30 pm
([msg=68647]see Re: Am i traceable?[/msg])

This might be useful in deciding what MAC to spoof

I would agree that spoofing something like 00:11:22:33:44:55 wouldn't be the best option, but it's better than not spoofing anything at all
illusion_
New User
New User

Re: Am i traceable?

Post by limdis on Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:50 am
([msg=68684]see Re: Am i traceable?[/msg])

illusion_ wrote:I would agree that spoofing something like 00:11:22:33:44:55 wouldn't be the best option, but it's better than not spoofing anything at all

This is true. I was a little hasty when I posted. +1 for the link. I've used that one several times when I'm foot printing a network. Pretentious you probably already know this but for those that don't; the first three octets are what is important and is called the Organizationally Unique Identifier (OUI), the last 3 are is the Network Interface Controller (NIC) and can really be anything. So when mac spoofing you want to get the OUI to read something that is the least likely to identify you OR you want to match a device already on a system. When you are running airodump (or similar) you might see an 00:26:00:xx:xx:xx connected. After some research you will discover that is probably an iphone. So back up and re-spoof to 00:26:00:1B:06:C1, for example, then go go go
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Return to NZone