We lost Demonoid

Random things go here

Re: We lost Demonoid

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:29 pm
([msg=68670]see Re: We lost Demonoid[/msg])

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet

I'm not trying to get in a pissing contest. My point was this may have been the reason why they have or think they have jurisdiction of the internet outside their physical boundaries.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by cyberdrain on Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:36 am
([msg=68703]see Re: We lost Demonoid[/msg])

Fair enough, I'd rather have the US get last dibs on the internet than China for example. Still, currently it's global, so what is right and who has jurisdiction will be debatable (let's leave it at that then :)). As for the rights management: the current law in the US seems to be driven by money rather than the system in place for it (e.g. court etc.), look at MegaUpload. Yes I know, illegal once again, but completely besides that point: it was an FBI operation subverting the judicial system, while suddenly they want to bring them to 'justice' (everyone knows that once they get to the USA they will be found guilty, no matter the defence). Maybe someone can enlighten me or remove some stereotypes I didn't know I had?

Edit: it's not called Off-Topic for nothing right? :D
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by limdis on Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:43 am
([msg=68704]see Re: We lost Demonoid[/msg])

cyberdrain wrote:it's not called Off-Topic for nothing right? :D

Yep, tis why I put it here because I figured the topic had potential to spiral off in many different directions.

Something I'm surprised nobody has pointed out yet is this:
Ukraine had promised the United States that it would improve its attitude and efforts towards enforcing copyright and no doubt its Western partner will be very pleased indeed that Demonoid’s head has been presented on a platter.

Demonoid did not actually break the law, according to Ukranian law. They blocked all traffic from Ukraine itself via IP filtering. So, reason to shut them down was by all technical purposes, speculation. Now obviously once the servers are in hand well... But this never should have happened in the first place. This a double fuck you on the government level. Obviously the US benefits from this bust because right now (against everyone's opinion) they are going over the top in trying to control the internet. But how does Ukraine benefit from the deal?
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by cyberdrain on Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:28 am
([msg=68707]see Re: We lost Demonoid[/msg])

You quite cleverly avoided my question, not that I mind :) That's a very good question, what does Ukraine get out of this? Either they got pressured into it somehow or they need something back from the US. So far I found this "Currently Ukraine’s main export partners are Russia, Germany, Turkey, Italy and the USA.", so pressuring of a trade embargo maybe? Or was that already insinuated by the "Western partner" part of your quote?
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to Off-Topic