Companies switching from defense to offense

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Re: Companies switching from defense to offense

Post by hellow533 on Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:16 pm
([msg=68588]see Re: Companies switching from defense to offense[/msg])

centip3de wrote:
mShred wrote:Well who knows. It's not like they can turn around and have a bot DDoS their system. Like the dude said, it could be aimed at trying to identify the attackers. But with that, I don't know how well that'd work depending on the attacker's security measures. But either way, I like it.

I dunno, if the attacker was an idiot and made no attempts to use a proxy, and or hid there I.P. in any way shape or form, I'd love to see an automated-rehacking-bot.

A proxy is hardly all you need to be anonymous these days.
“Teach me how to hack!”
"What, like, with an axe?"
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by centip3de on Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:17 pm
([msg=68598]see Re: Companies switching from defense to offense[/msg])

hellow533 wrote:A proxy is hardly all you need to be anonymous these days.

Well, of course. However, I honestly didn't feel like writing disabling JavaScript, using HTTPS, disabling cookies, etc. Rather, I assumed people would get the gist of all of that from me saying 'using a proxy'. My point still remains, though; if 'hackers' don't take the steps to be secure and anonymous with their attacks, then I think it would be pretty interesting to have an automated re-hacker.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by cyberdrain on Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:14 pm
([msg=68655]see Re: Companies switching from defense to offense[/msg])

That is like saying you deserve to be robbed when you don't lock the front door. It's the principle most hackers work by, I agree, but does that make it right? Also, it'll mean that those who just don't know will be caught, just like natural selection. Only the best (or lucky) survive :) Whether that's good or not is debatable.
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by centip3de on Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:57 pm
([msg=68663]see Re: Companies switching from defense to offense[/msg])

cyberdrain wrote:That is like saying you deserve to be robbed when you don't lock the front door. It's the principle most hackers work by, I agree, but does that make it right? Also, it'll mean that those who just don't know will be caught, just like natural selection. Only the best (or lucky) survive :) Whether that's good or not is debatable.

You do deserve to be robbed when you don't lock the front door, that's why you have a lock. If you don't want to take the risk, don't have a house. It's the same thing with a computer; if you're just being stupid and hacking into things without protection against yourself, you should get busted/counter-hacked. If you don't like the risk of that, then don't hack things. Simple as that.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by tremor77 on Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:05 pm
([msg=68689]see Re: Companies switching from defense to offense[/msg])

centip3de wrote:You do deserve to be robbed when you don't lock the front door, that's why you have a lock. If you don't want to take the risk, don't have a house. It's the same thing with a computer; if you're just being stupid and hacking into things without protection against yourself, you should get busted/counter-hacked. If you don't like the risk of that, then don't hack things. Simple as that.

Absolutely - and you should also be aware of who your hacking.. who's to say you might try to lazy hack on a daytime sysadmin (for example - me) at my job.. or on my minecraft server.. whatever.. I save your data and on a rainy day when I'm feeling angsty - I ragefuck your face.
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by centip3de on Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:27 pm
([msg=68695]see Re: Companies switching from defense to offense[/msg])

tremor77 wrote: ragefuck your face.

Since when is this a bad thing?
centip3de

Post by cyberdrain on Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:42 am
([msg=68709]see Re: Companies switching from defense to offense[/msg])

centip3de wrote:Since when is this a bad thing?

I think that's more than I wanted to know what you do in your free time centip3de :roll:

On topic: So not only is it right for hackers to get hacked back, but by that same definition it's also right for hackers to hack anything that isn't very well defended. I don't think that'll hold up in court, but still an interesting premise :lol:

"So why did you shut down the whole of the country's railroad system?"
- "Because I can, they should've been more careful when they built the system."

I know, not likely and maybe even impossible, it being different subsystems and all. Anyway, you've convinced me.
Free your mind / Think clearly
cyberdrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by hellow533 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:33 am
([msg=68835]see Re: Companies switching from defense to offense[/msg])

cyberdrain wrote:
centip3de wrote:Since when is this a bad thing?

I think that's more than I wanted to know what you do in your free time centip3de :roll:

On topic: So not only is it right for hackers to get hacked back, but by that same definition it's also right for hackers to hack anything that isn't very well defended. I don't think that'll hold up in court, but still an interesting premise :lol:

"So why did you shut down the whole of the country's railroad system?"
- "Because I can, they should've been more careful when they built the system."

I know, not likely and maybe even impossible, it being different subsystems and all. Anyway, you've convinced me.

"Why did you shoot that innocent man in the chest!?"
"He works in pet-co, he should have been wearing a vest!"

No srs, but I get what you are saying. Why hack if you don't know how to cover your steps? And to the guy who wants to ragefuck my face, bring it. Just make sure before that happens you bite the pillow, because I'm going in dry.
“Teach me how to hack!”
"What, like, with an axe?"
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to General